Martellus Bennett:"Most of your favorite players aren't good people"

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t know. I think it’s probably pretty natural for people going through a major
Life transition, to question their decision making and the choices they made along the way. Who amongst us hasn’t wondered how their life would be if they changed some
Of the decisions we made in the past?

I dont think it’s a kid thing to do.

It’s a major transition for somebody when they retire from a career or for players who played a sport for decades, and they no longer can due to age and physical limitation.

I don't doubt the guy. I'm sure he's being honest. But other than the fame and notoriety, how is retiring from that job so much different from any other?

This reminds me of the really popular kid in high school that graduates only to be depressed by how insignificant he now is. He really isn't insignificant, he's just like everyone else. But that's not how he's lived his entire life up until graduation. Some commit suicide. On the flip side, some that graduate are shockingly pleased by the upgrade in status.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Maybe Bennett doesnt realize that anyone that is competitive can have a dark side and be a jerk when the lights come on.

Reaction score
I wish Marty B would take this tough guy act to the UFC ring. He clearly thinks he's above everyone else. Id love to see him humbled. I do like a couple of his comments, but he comes off bitter in a lot of them.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Meh, it gets old when some act like Bennett is some great insightful philosopher. Most of what he's talking about is simple aging that everyone goes through -- you aren't young and invincible anymore, your career is winding down, you go through life changes, and you have to adjust to that. Big deal. Most people have to deal with that, only without ever being rich or famous. Does he or anyone think it would be better to go though this as an anonymous hourly wage construction worker as opposed to a 10-year NFL player who has been catered to since he was in high school?

Besides, Marty was always the arsonist type. Part of him -- probably a big part -- never liked football that much to begin with and always thought he was above it. That's why you saw the terrible attitude on Hard Knocks. That's fine, but don't act like you fully bought in to football from day one and weren't in it largely for the money.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don't doubt the guy. I'm sure he's being honest. But other than the fame and notoriety, how is retiring from that job so much different from any other?

This reminds me of the really popular kid in high school that graduates only to be depressed by how insignificant he now is. He really isn't insignificant, he's just like everyone else. But that's not how he's lived his entire life up until graduation. Some commit suicide. On the flip side, some that graduate are shockingly pleased by the upgrade in status.

What I’m saying is. You don’t think “average joes” goes through a transition process when they retire, or can’t do something that they have spent the last several decades being their primary focus?

I don’t think looking back on past decisions and choices is strictly a professional athlete thing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not the greatest to be around
Yeah, Tony never was really into a lot of drugs or strip clubs.
If you're not playing some sort of sport (Basketball or golf), or later after marriage, playing with the kids, he may not be running with you all that much..

So for some, he's not fun to be around.

I've never heard anything about him being a bad person though. Quite the opposite.

Flamma

Reaction score
What I’m saying is. You don’t think “average joes” goes through a transition process when they retire, or can’t do something that they have spent the last several decades being their primary focus?

I don’t think looking back on past decisions and choices is strictly a professional athlete thing.

His explanation doesn't sound like that to me. It sounds like someone not being happy about being like everyone else. Because they were always more than that.

aria

Reaction score
Marty obviously can’t handle the transition to becoming a nobody which is why he’ll always be opening his loud mouth and using social media to try and stay relevant.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know he's not every fan cup of tea but god he nailed some real pointers/eye-openers here.
BTW: Decoding dark places in the article =_____________

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...od-people/1qymhptsqkxz914ptju23egqil?fbclid=I

Martellus Bennett reveals ugly side of NFL: 'Most of your favorite players aren’t good people'

Former NFL tight end Martellus Bennett was never afraid to speak his mind, so it's no surprise he's being open and honest in retirement as well.

Bennett sent a number of tweets Tuesday night, posting his thoughts on what it takes to be an NFL athlete, or even just a football player. His thoughts originated with a quote-tweet of a story saying Brandon Marshall (Bennett's former teammate) wanted to fight boxer Deontay Wilder.
That might be true for some fans but it’s why I’m not a fan of all of our players . It’s why I bashed Michael Irvin, Elliott and other thug like personalities for their off field behaviors.

Good news is there’s more Jason Wittens out there than Greg Hardy’s. They just don’t receive as much media coverage .

RonnieT24

Reaction score

You left out the fact that most of us will only anticipate being around another 15-20 years after we retire whereas these guys might have 45-50 years left to live upon retiring. A lot harder to "pace yourself" over 40+ years especially those that aren't permanently maimed and have the time and money to do pretty much anything they want to do for the rest of their lives. As a lot of people are learning in this time of Covid, relationships are tougher to maintain when you have to be around each other 24x7. Being away from each other 9-10 hours a day helps most relationships stay healthy. I mean "How was your day?" takes on a different hue when you were there to watch the day unfold the whole time. You don't need to ask so what do you talk about over dinner? My wife and I have been together 25 years.. Not a whole lot we haven't already talked about.. twice.. If Covid had not also forced our college aged ballerina to move home we wouldn't have any new drama to deal with every day! LOL! And let's face it.. women need drama even more than us guys need sports!!

Red Dragon

Reaction score
While Marty B is a jerk - he had a terrible attitude during his few years at Dallas - that doesn't invalidate what he said. (Otherwise we'd be ad-homineming.) His observations are pretty spot on.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
You’d also be shocked just how low IQ most of them are. I know from my past professional experience, finding guys that can carry on real conversations and understand how the world operates is few and far between. There are some great guys that get it, but It’s really a wonder the majority can learn complicated schemes.

It’s why the CBA is such media hype. The majority of players have zero concept of the legal ramifications being discussed. In order to explain it to them in terms they understand I’m sure the meanings of the agreements are misconstrued.

There’s a current starter in the league who plays for one of the most historically complex schemes, that I’m shocked on how he could possibly pick it up. I know him well and It makes me wonder how complicated NFL playbooks would be to the average professional in society once you take the time to figure it out.

In contrast, Jaylon is one of the guys that gets it and sees past football. He’s smart for leveraging his deal with the Cowboys to a future after football. He understands the concepts of the games. His injury has just robbed him from that 5-10% that separates the great from the barely an NFL guy.

The other guy I referenced above will probably go to being a HS coach after his career and keep the football factory moving. He’s not a great athlete but he was born from a family of football lifers and gets the job done.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
His explanation doesn't sound like that to me. It sounds like someone not being happy about being like everyone else. Because they were always more than that.

Yeah but that’s the reality of the life they live. And he’s just talking about that.

It all sounds like very natural processing of the Situation to me. That’s the point. And professional athletes aren’t the only ones who go through it.

regular joes go through similar things. Minus the game aspect.

but plenty of regular joes still go through identity crises. If they’re no longer at a job they once did.

being the boss or whatever.

RoboQB

Reaction score
The Bennett boys were two very thin skinned individuals who played a sport
where thick skin is needed. They made their money while playing victim all
along the way.

Creeper

Reaction score
A lot of players have become very successful, stable and well adjusted after football. Bennett seems to be one of those who is struggling so he is projecting it on others.

kskboys

Reaction score
Didn't read. No interest.

MB is a buffoon. I'm not interested in his little crying victim act, not even a little bit.

NFL players are guys who are great athletes. They are a regular run of guys, good bad and ugly. I don't pay much attention to their off field stuff as it simply doesn't interest me. I watch for the extreme athleticism and beauty that I see in the NFL game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah but that’s the reality of the life they live. And he’s just talking about that.

It all sounds like very natural processing of the Situation to me. That’s the point. And professional athletes aren’t the only ones who go through it.

regular joes go through similar things. Minus the game aspect.

but plenty of regular joes still go through identity crises. If they’re no longer at a job they once did.

being the boss or whatever.

Yes, you're absolutely spot on here. It's odd how a few people that I know immediately came to mind when I was reading your post.