Martellus Bennett

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
As an attempt at a positive thread in these dire times... Martellus Bennett looked awesome in that final drive against the Rams. Yes, it was quote-unquote garbage time, and they were just two plays. But on those seam routes, he showed some real athleticism and good hands -- and against a good LB in Tinoisamoa.

I also liked the way he showed some smarts in rolling into the endzone when untouched, and some awareness in matter-of-factly flipping the ball over his head and jogging off the field knowing that we were getting blown out. (Contrast that to Antonio Bryant dunking the ball over the goalpost when we were losing big.)

They showed Wade and Garrett talking right before or at the beginning of that drive... I wonder if they were saying, "We're getting killed, let's at least give the rookie a few opportunities." Because Johnson definitely looked right to him on those two plays.

Just imagine when the kid gets more experience. I think he's going to be a big-time weapon.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
If they've been waiting to pull the trigger, they might as well do it now. Bennett gives us more positives than Curtis, and the negatives between the two can't possibly be that far apart.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Can he just take over Curtis' spot full time?

Curtis has been terrible just about all season.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bennett looks like something special after the catch.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
He looked great on the final drive, when the game was over. Basically under preseason conditions.

But when there was still hope in the 3rd quarter, his braindead offsides penalty killed a drive and a shot at getting back into it.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2364011 said:
He looked great on the final drive, when the game was over. Basically under preseason conditions.

But when there was still hope in the 3rd quarter, his braindead offsides penalty killed a drive and a shot at getting back into it.
The thing is, Curtis has more experience, but makes the same kind of mistakes--and worse.

There are times when eventually a coach has to admit he was wrong about a player. That may be the case with the Garretts (one or both of them) and Curtis.

ddh33

Reaction score
I'd like to see more of Bennett. I think he's another big weapon for this offense. Actually, you can't complain anymore about the number of weapons this team has. Time to take advantage of them - backup QB or not.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2364011 said:

did he actually DO anything? it certainly wasnt apparent when they showed the live shot, and I dont remember them showing a replay of it

and it doesnt make any difference what the score was, he made two very impressive downfield plays and showed great athletic ability...he is going to end up quite a weapon for the offense one day real soon...2TE/2WR sets with him, Witten, Owens and RW are going to give teams fits once we get Romo back 100%

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
percyhoward;2364058 said:
The thing is, Curtis has more experience, but makes the same kind of mistakes--and worse.

There are times when eventually a coach has to admit he was wrong about a player. That may be the case with the Garretts (one or both of them) and Curtis.
Curtis absolutely sucks. He can't block, and his catches have mostly consisted of 2 yard outs where the first tackler brings him down immediately.

The problem with Bennett is the same many of our players have. They didn't have a real training camp, so they're still making preseason mistakes.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2364077 said:
The problem with Bennett is the same many of our players have. They didn't have a real training camp, so they're still making preseason mistakes.
:rolleyes: Not this again.

Do you think it could be that he's a rookie, and all rookies make mistakes?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
dbair1967;2364075 said:
and it doesnt make any difference what the score was, he made two very impressive downfield plays and showed great athletic ability...he is going to end up quite a weapon for the offense one day real soon...2TE/2WR sets with him, Witten, Owens and RW are going to give teams fits once we get Romo back 100%
It doesn't matter what the score was?

Based on that, we should go get Drew Henson back since he had that one drive against Baltimore when we were down like 30 to 3.

Bottom line is, when it still mattered, he committed an idiotic penalty. When the game was decided, he made some meaningless plays. To draw any conclusion from what happens when you're down 30 is laughable.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2364089 said:
It doesn't matter what the score was?

Based on that, we should go get Drew Henson back since he had that one drive against Baltimore when we were down like 30 to 3.

Bottom line is, when it still mattered, he committed an idiotic penalty. When the game was decided, he made some meaningless plays. To draw any conclusion from what happens when you're down 30 is laughable.

everybody makes penalties sometimes...quit crucifying him over one damn penalty (that was pretty questionable, again I didnt see any penalty on that play in the live shot)

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the talent...and those were not the first two plays he's made this yr either

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm starting to think that the 2 TE set with Witten & Bennett, TO & Williams as the WRs, Jones as the back will become our most explosive package.

You could send Witten across the middle anytime you want, you can run from this formation anytime you want, and you could go deep with Bennett one on one with any LBr if you want. wow!

MrMom

Reaction score
dbair1967;2364075 said:
did he actually DO anything? it certainly wasnt apparent when they showed the live shot, and I dont remember them showing a replay of it

Yeah, he definitely popped up slightly. It wasn't much, but he did move.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2364007 said:
Bennett looks like something special after the catch.

He does appear to have a nice knack for making yardage after the catch. I'm more and more happy with this pick as the year progresses.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Garrett may be under fire recently for his playcalling but he stuck his neck out for 2 guys on the first day and he is batting 1.00, certainly with Felix Jones, but Marcellus Bennett is another playmaker in the making.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
All I really remember was an off sides penalty and a dropped ball from him. He looked good at times. I have always been excited about him but until the simple basic things are down there is not much to say about him.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Bennett has all the tools to dominate one day. I really like this player's potential. Remember all the "heat" this guy took during Hard Knocks. Holy over reaction, Batman.

I bet some of the same people wanting him cut, before the season even started, are some of the same people wanting to fire the coach in the middle of the season.