Marten and the LT

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
First, I'm going to say that Marten is the new Witten. And by that I mean I know people are going to be calling him Martin just like people type out Whitten. But, onto the real subject matter...

I've seen a lot of people say that Marten will have to make the switch to RT, but I'm not so sure. As part of an offensive line than gave up 22 sacks last year Marten was only charged for 1.5 of them. That's under 7%.

In his head to head matchups here is how he fared against some of the prospects this year:

Dan Bazuin (67 tackles, 15 TFL 10.5 sacks on the season)
5 tackles, 1 TFL, 0 sacks

Gaines Adams (62 tackles, 17.5 TFL 12.5 sacks)
2 tackles, 0 TFL, 0 sacks
*Marten pushed Adams out of the way on a block that resulted in the game winning TD

Baraka Atkins (49 tackles, 9 TFL, 4 sacks)
2 tackles, 0 TFL, 0 sacks

Not too shabby at all.

sago1

Reaction score
Totally agree that Marten is welcome addition to Cowboy efforts to finally upgrade our OL like we've all wanted. But the biggest improvement to our OL came with the drafting of OT Doug Free who was a great pickup in the 4th round. I'm particularly thrilled by his signing but glad we also got Marten--even though I initially wondered why we drafted 2. Jerry Jones is just ensuring there's no way he has to pay big bucks to re-sign Adams after this season to a new contract. Bank on it.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I sure hope he developes into a solid tackle for us....time will tell all

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Marten is a physical drive blocker who fits the right better, while Free is an athletic speciman with quick feet but lacks pop in run blocking so he's better for the left side.

fortdick

Reaction score
speedkilz88;1480921 said:
Marten is a physical drive blocker who fits the right better, while Free is an athletic speciman with quick feet but lacks pop in run blocking so he's better for the left side.

Drafting Marten and Free kind of makes you wonder what is going on with McQ. No way we carry 5 tackles on the 53 man roster. If Marten is considered a guard, then Rivera and Proctor are on the bubble.

The only way I can see all of these guys making the roster is if one of them moves to back up center. No one will make it to the practice squad.

I forgot, was Columbo contract a one year deal like Hamlins?

burmafrd

Reaction score
One of the tackles will probably end up working at guard. McQ played guard in College, so did Marten. I guess we will have a dance off and the worst one goes to guard.

sago1

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised (and Jerry Jones would be stunned) if Riveria can make it back. Understand his recent herniated disk surgery was on same one he had to have back in 05. So I'm not worried about him remaining on this team.

Our starters will still probably be Adams/Kosier/Gurode/Davis/Colombo. Jones has already hinted McQuistan might be moved to OG. Marten is versitile OL player who can play both OT/OG positions although drafted as an OT; might be able play C in a pinch. Free got everything needed to play LT (beating out Adams) once he has bulk/strength in next year's offseason weight conditioning program. That gives us 8 OL so it probably will be between Proctor/Berger whose the best backup C/OG. At last finally we have some more then decent young backups.