Marten more valuable then I thought?

sago1

Reaction score
and Gosselein's top 100 players had Free going about 10 or more players before Marten. However, I took Raphael Vela comments off his website re Marten which sheds new light on how valuble Marten can be. While Marten definitely is a viable OT who can play both tackle positions, his versatility makes him even more important. Since he also played OG at BC for 2 years in their top quality OL assembly plant, I don't see a need to draft an OG and since he apparently could also play OC (if he devoted time to it), it might solve the problem of our need for a backup to Gurode--thus killing 3 birds with one stone. Heck, maybe we can give him work as a L/S to see his potential there. I sure hate using a valuable slot solely for L/S like Lucouever(sp?). Maybe in 1-2 years Marten can add L/S to his list of duties. Anyway here's Vela's comments re Marten:

8:42 — Somebody finally took Jerry’s points chart away.
The Cowboys made their second selection of the day, adding Boston College OT James Marten to Purdue OLB Anthony Spencer.
OTs, especially 3rd round OTs, are never sexy picks. But Dallas was clearly affected by that mid-2nd round dropoff; the early to mid-2nd saw the big time OGs go (Arron Sears to Tampa Bay and Justin Blalock to Atlanta) the WRs snatched from grasp (Sidney Rice, Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith all went between picks 44 and 51) and FB Brian Leonard taken one spot ahead of the Cowboys.
Marten earned acclaim as the most versatile lineman in this year’s draft, able to play every position, including center.

followthestar

Reaction score
dangerdoom4124;1477068 said:
At 6'8 isn't he a little big for Center?

i think he's listed at 6'7" but yeah I don't think he'll see much time there anyway. the main point is he can and has played at OT and OG. we don't have a need to start him, so he will have some time to build bulk and strength and learn the NFL ropes. It gives us lots of leeway when we decide Flozell's fate next year, as well as seeing how Colombo follows up his first full season back from injury. This was a great pick IMO.

sago1

Reaction score
It gives us some breathing space/depth behind our starters for this year. Read somewhere that Cowboys plan for McQuistan to be our swing OT this year. Don't know how drafting Marten might change that strategy but McQuistan's knowledge of our offense/participation in weight conditioning program would appear give him leg up as primary OT backup. But Marten's ability also play OG also adds lot of value to his pick.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marten is a very good pick. Hard disciplined player who will, short term, be a good quality back up and long term, hopefully be a good RT.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score

If he plays with good knee bend the amount of leverage he would have would be a great asset at the center position. I like the fact he can play different OL positions, this increases the chance for him seeing time as a rookie, which is invaluable.

newlander

Reaction score
I dunno, isn't Center about getting a lower pad level against the nose tackle on most plays? Just wondering..............

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Yea, you would tend to believe once he snapped the ball he could not get out of his stance to pick of the block

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adbutcher;1477121 said:
If he plays with good knee bend the amount of leverage he would have would be a great asset at the center position. I like the fact he can play different OL positions, this increases the chance for him seeing time as a rookie, which is invaluable.

Too tall to play C.

bbuck822

Reaction score
I think the point is more about understanding O-Line concepts. He is a very smart person to have been able to play all O-Line positions. This can only mean he would adapt well to whatever scheme he is asked to play and in whatever capacity he must perform.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
I was saying this last night in the chat room. He isn't one of the top four tackles in the draft that could come in and start right away, but he has great versatility. So I think after you get passed the top tier linemen, versatility becomes an huge plus when drafting a lineman.

sago1

Reaction score
Remember we didn't draft Marten to be our starting C but to become a good OT who could replace one of our starters as a backup now but maybe starter in another year or so. Since he also was a LG in Purdue pro offensive OL scheme, he could also be an asset there. BTW: If he has OC experience does that mean it possible he might be able to become a L/S? That would be invaluable.