Marvin Bagley III may reclassify to enter 2018 draft

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. Marvin Bagley III was the story for multiple reasons
Bagley, the top high school prospect in the world, was the circuit's star heading into Peach Jam -- and he did nothing to disappoint last week. The 6-foot-10 forward showed, game after game after game, why he's such a unique talent and likely future NBA All-Star. So coaches, fans and media packed gyms each day and night to watch Bagley dominate inferior opponents.

And then Friday happened.

That's when I, and others, reported that Bagley is trying to reclassify, graduate early and play college basketball this season. When asked about the report and whether his son is considering reclassifying, Bagley's father, Marvin Bagley Jr., told FanRagSports, "You should probably ask CBS Sports. It seems like they know more than I know. That's my answer -- ask CBS Sports."

For the purposes of this conversation, I am CBS Sports.

Thus, here's my answer to the question: Yes, Bagley is trying to reclassify. And, I'm told, it is academically possible. But his desire isn't strictly rooted in playing college basketball this season. More than that, he wants to make himself eligible for the 2018 NBA Draft, where he would immediately become the favorite to be the first overall pick ahead of Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton and Luka Doncic.

So will Bagley actually reclassify?

That remains to be seen. We should have clarity in the coming

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...am-where-marvin-bagley-was-the-biggest-story/

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Didnt know this could be done. Bagley is considered the next generational talent to come into the NBA and would be a near lock for #1 in 2018

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As a Celtics fan this would be a huge win even if we dont get the #1 pick. With 4 cornerstone level players already in next years draft and a solid chance at 2 top 5 picks, Bagley pushing players down would be a huge benifit.

Bagley himself would be our long term cornerstone

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bagley has committed to Duke.

I dont think his reclassification is 100% official yet, but it looks like he play NCAA in 2017-18 and be eligible for the 2018 NBA Draft

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Getting a top 2 pick, would make the last 17 years as a Knicks fan worth it. Just not sure what will make us worse, dealing Melo for basically nothing or keeping him and having him shoot everyone out of the offense.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Getting a top 2 pick, would make the last 17 years as a Knicks fan worth it. Just not sure what will make us worse, dealing Melo for basically nothing or keeping him and having him shoot everyone out of the offense.
Honestly in this draft a top 3 or even 4 pick give the team a legit franchise player ( depending on how you feel about Ayton). Luka Doncic is a potential threat to Porter. He might be the best "point forward" prospect since.

Id personally put Doncic behind Porter, because scoring is king. But Doncic looms large as a potential top 2.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I want to add that if the Celtics come away with 2 of Bagley, Porter, Doncic, and Ayton then the Nets trade has potential to surpass the Hershal Walker deal

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I want to add that if the Celtics come away with 2 of Bagley, Porter, Doncic, and Ayton then the Nets trade has potential to surpass the Hershal Walker deal

It really does. Brown and Tatum is a good haul considering the Celtics gave up an aging Pierce and Garnett, but add to it 2 of those 4, then it's arguably the worst trade in the history of sports.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It really does. Brown and Tatum is a good haul considering the Celtics gave up an aging Pierce and Garnett, but add to it 2 of those 4, then it's arguably the worst trade in the history of sports.
It would need to lead to rings in order to beat the Walker deal IMO. And given the current climate of the NBA, if it does I don't it will happen until the picks are in there prime.

I honestly like Doncic for NY. I think Doncic may be the best fit with Porzingis. He is a dude that can run an offense, shoulder the scoring load at any given time and defend the wing. Not an uber athlete but very smooth. I think he runs an offense out of the SF position ala James. Ntilikina, has alot of potential as a 3 and D PG and of Doncic is there wont be shouldering the play making responsibility

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Bagley looks like a KD starter kit. Porter could claim that title as well.
This is an interesting class but only about 1 in 5 of these lotto kids live up the hype.
The 7 footers will go high as well due to size and rare athleticism.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bagley looks like a KD starter kit. Porter could claim that title as well.
This is an interesting class but only about 1 in 5 of these lotto kids live up the hype.
The 7 footers will go high as well due to size and rare athleticism.
A couple decent high lotto Center prospects in Ayton and Bamba. Ayton is much more advanced offensively and Ive seen bis game compared to Boogie or KAT. Bamba is much more raw offensively, and may only be a Drummond or Jordan, but there is the belief he has a good amount of upside offensively

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
What Doncic is doing and has been doing at his age is unheard of.

That skill set is unbelievable.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
A couple decent high lotto Center prospects in Ayton and Bamba. Ayton is much more advanced offensively and Ive seen bis game compared to Boogie or KAT. Bamba is much more raw offensively, and may only be a Drummond or Jordan, but there is the belief he has a good amount of upside offensively

It's going to be interesting to watch them play. It's almost impossible to get a feel watching high school videos.

I am admittedly higher in Ayton because I think he is going to be a better two way player. I don't think Bamba becomes anything other than at at the rim finisher and a diver on pick and rolls, offensively.

But we will know more once the season starts.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's going to be interesting to watch them play. It's almost impossible to get a feel watching high school videos.

I am admittedly higher in Ayton because I think he is going to be a better two way player. I don't think Bamba becomes anything other than at at the rim finisher and a diver on pick and rolls, offensively.

But we will know more once the season starts.
Yes. One of things Ive heard about Ayton is that he can drift at times. However if he can show a strong post game at ASU he is a guy that would be in contention for #1 overall in many drafts