Maso's Mock

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
I'm going to do something a little different in this mock and throw a trade in there, so I guess maybe this isn't a mock so much as what I would try to do. Anyways, we're gonna be trading out of the 2nd round in this with a team like San Fran who has multiple 3rd and 4th round picks. So we go out of the second and pick up and early 3rd and and early 4th.

1. Dwayne Bowe WR LSU
I think Bowe is one of the top three WRs in the draft. He has great hands, was very productive, runs terrific routes and is very powerful after the catch. Switching Meachem with Bowe would be fine with me, but this 1st pick should be reserved for finding our next #1 WR.

3a. Alan Barbre OT Missouri Southern St
A terrific pass blocker and really no slouch in the run game. He was successful with 85.4% of his blocks over the past two years and only allowed 1 QB pressure and 2.5 sacks. Has potential to be the LT of the future after we cut ties with Flozell. Played at a smaller school but definitely has the potential. At the worst will provide great depth.

3b. Brian Robinson OLB Texas
A fantastic athlete and somewhat of a workout warrior. Was never amazingly productive but had 12.5 sacks and 25 QB pressures over the past two seasons. While he has a lot of potential I don't know if he'll ever be a star as a 34 OLB but he could certainly work in a rotation and be productive. Could be an eventual starter and is the type of guy who could contribute right away.

4a. Dustin Fry C Clemson
I originally had Samson Satele here because McShay had him that low...but really it doesn't make sense. Instead I'm going to pencil Dustin Fry in here. Fry is a competent blocker who managed a blocking success rate of around 84% in the past two seasons. He's very good in pass blocking and is an above average down field blocker. With only one center on the roster a guy like Fry could provide much needed depth at the position.

4b. Usama Young CB Kent St
A very underrated prospect who has some of the best quickness numbers of any CB in the draft. Probably isn't a guy who will develop into a #1 CB but he definitely has potential as a #3 or even a #2 guy. With Henry and Glenn old and a little inconsistent in their play Young is the kind of choice who could come in and add security at the position and take over when needed. I think Young could be a real steal.

5. Manny Ramirez OG Texas Tech
I don't know if he'll last this long but McShay had him in this range so I'm going to stick him here as well. A little risky because he's coming of some knee problems, but that's the reason he could fall as well. Even if he comes back completely healthy he may never be the type of player who's a real solid starter, but the potential is there, especially in run blocking. He has terrific strength and does a good job of blocking at the second level. May be a little raw in his run blocking coming from Texas Tech, but definitely has potential.

6a. Justin Medlock K UCLA
Not a real necessary pick but could provide good value this late. At the very least he's a guy who could push Gramatica in camp and even possibly win a starting job. He has a powerful leg and pretty good long range accuracy. May not end up making the team, but could certainly surprise.

6b. Le'ron McClain FB Alabama
A true blocking FB and also pretty good at catching the ball out of the backfield. Not a short yardage runner, but we have Barber for that. Would be a nice addition to the offense in that he could provide a boost in the running game and provide a good outlet for Romo.

7a. Jeff Rowe QB Nevada
Didn't have a great senior year and probably isn't the type of guy who can follow a Tony Romo career arc. Can he even develop into a solid backup? I don't know but he does have some good physical tools and a decent skill set, showing pretty good accuracy and a strong enough arm to make the throws. At the very least he's a guy who could push Matt Baker in camp and whoever shows the most could either slide down to the PS or even go in as the 3rd QB.

7b. Walter Thomas DT NW Mississippi JC
Small school DT prospect who dominated his level of competition and certainly has the size and measurables that you look for. Bring him in a long term project, there's very little risk at this point in the draft and his upside could warrant a late round selection.

Well, there we go. That's it. I know it may not be very popular to trade out of the 2nd round but I believe we can get better value in doing so and pick up some players who have good potential and at the very least would provide solid depth as backups. The one position that it doesn't really do much for is DT...but I guess you can't fix everything in one year. The only real difference maker is Dwayne Bowe, but even he would only play a limited role this year. The draft is focused on the future as the Cowboys don't have a whole lot of immediate needs.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I love it

I think Satele, since he's the #2 rated C by almost everybody, will go a couple of rounds higher, but I can see him lasting till the 4th, but overall, I can't complain if that was how our draft went

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Really I think it's low for Satele too, I just threw him there cuase McShay had him that low really. But really I think of Satele, Dustin Fry, Leroy Harris and Dough Datish that whoever is there would be a fine pick. As history goes there's normally something like the 3rd through 5th center available. It's a bit of a pipe dream to expect Satele to be there but hey, who knows.

Glad you like it though!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I like your trade down theory, but I don't think Satele or Ramirez will there at those picks. I also doubt that San Fran would be willing to give up those picks. And I'm not sure about spending 3 picks that high on O-line makes sense when supposedly we shored it up this off-season.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
theogt;1459428 said:
I like your trade down theory, but I don't think Satele or Ramirez will there at those picks. I also doubt that San Fran would be willing to give up those picks. And I'm not sure about spending 3 picks that high on O-line makes sense when supposedly we shored it up this off-season.

Yeah, I actually just changed the Satele pick to Dustin Fry...which I think makes a lot more sense. I have no idea why McShay has Satele going so late and I shouldn't have put him there cause that's where someone else had him. And really that's why I put Ramirez there too, I'll look into an alternative pick there though. And really I don't know if giving up those picks is something San Fran would be willing to do either. I kept the trade in their favor value wise and they would still have a first, two seconds, a third and an early fourth so it may be something they'd be ok with. I guess it depends on if there was another player they wanted to go after in the second.

As far as the o-line picks, like I said it's more of a draft for the future. Dallas doesn't need a whole lot of guys who will start right away so I brought in players who could contribute a few years down the line. The thinking there is that if you fill your needs before they become needs then you'll be able to draft BPA in the future without having to be worried about filling actual needs.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
1. I dont see Manny falling to the 5th
2. I dont like us drafting a kicker after we just signed Automatica to a new deal
3. I dont know if Thomas will be there at the end of the 7th.....maybe in the 6th.
4. We have three 7th round picks....you only used two.

so let me alter ur draft a bit

1. Bowe
3a. Barbre
3b. Robison
4a. Fry
4b. Young
5. OG Jermon Bushrod
6a. Thomas
6b. McClain
7a. Rowe
7b. CB Anthony Arline
7c. LB Jacob Ford