Matt Bernstein for FB next year.

Hiero

Reaction score
First off let me say this, we all know Polite isnt getting the job done. Hell he's basically useless except that one td catch. He cant block and he isnt good enough to make any plays. Why Parcells insists on keeping a guy like that ill never know. But we need a change for the sake of the running game. Campbell's getting too old to run block well, and Polite is way too small to do anything.

Onto teh good stuff.
Matt Bernstein is 6'1 265, hes huge. He is the top FB coming out. He is a physical blocker and he would be such a big help for a guy like JJ and even for Barber. Our OL run blocking has been subpar this year, we really gotta step it up, if we ever wanna win. Parcells is a run first guy so why do we have a FB who couldnt run block a CB? I have no idea. We can get this guy late in the draft as well, probably 5th rd even. We really gotta fix the run game, if we are going to do big things. Bernstein would be a key ingredient to getting the run game turned around. Here is a scouting report on him.

Positives

- Bernstein has great fullback size. He is great lead blocker, and acts like a sledgehammer coming out of the backfield. Bernstein blast linebackers in close quarters on inside running plays, and can block them in space on outside plays. Bernstein is a good short yardage runner, and runs with power.

Weaknesses

- He doesn’t catch many passes out of the backfield, and doesn’t have much of an impact on the passing game. He is a good short yardage runner, but lacks the acceleration and speed to be anything more.

Overall Analysis

- Bernstein is an underrated player. He is a devastating run blocker, who is almost like having a guard lining up in the backfield. He doesn’t offer much in the way of catching the ball, and he isn’t going run for many yards, though he is effective in short yardage. Bernstein is a hardworking player who has a bright future as a lead blocker.

Reminds You Of:

- Cory Schlesinger

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'd like to see a blocking fullback, but Parcells wants fullbacks with some receiving skills and that can play special teams. Plus, in a press conference said that Polite is "exceptionally smart."

I think he gives Polite at least another year, if not two years. Whether we like it or not.

Rich........

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich said:
I'd like to see a blocking fullback, but Parcells wants fullbacks with some receiving skills and that can play special teams. Plus, in a press conference said that Polite is "exceptionally smart."

I think he gives Polite at least another year, if not two years. Whether we like it or not.

Rich........

Agreed.

I would still like to see another guy brought in...surely we can find a guy, even if he plays another position, to learn to be a bruising FB who can also catch the ball.

For years we waited on Jay's replacement at TE and finally got him in Witten.

How long will it be before we find Moose's replacement at FB. :eek::

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Where's Jamar Martin? He was a great blocker with no receiving skills. Is he with a team? We could put him back there instead of Spears in goal line situations.

Reaction score
We all know Polite isn't getting the job done?
Actually he is a HUGE upgrade vs last years FB...
I don't think our running game is near as good as it should or could be though...But not much blame goes to the FB IMHO...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I know I'm an OU homer, but I really think JD Runnells will be a great FB in the pros. The guy's a great blocker, can catch and can RAC as well.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I know I'm an OU homer, but I really think JD Runnells will be a great FB in the pros.

Agreed. I think he'll be the first FB taken in the draft. The best 3 dimensional player at the position.

royhitshard

Reaction score
Danny White said:
I know I'm an OU homer, but I really think JD Runnells will be a great FB in the pros. The guy's a great blocker, can catch and can RAC as well.
I was just about to say the same thing. He has very good hands and loves to lay people out. I think he will do well in the NFL.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Danny White said:

I would have to agree on Runnells. Bill isn't going to change his philosophy on full backs. He is going to try and find one that is multi-dimensional even if that means he sacrifices a little in blocking. It would be great to have a good lead blocker, but that is not Parcell's highest priority. The full back doesn't even see the field that much because he likes balanced formations and two tight end sets.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Tuna would never abide a one-dimensional FB, even if he was a sledgehammer.

Hiero

Reaction score
runnels is fine, as long as we get a FB who can run block. polite cant run block worth a damn which is all I value in a fb.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
1 dimensional FB = wasted roster spot. Which is why Jamar Martin and Deon Dyer are just sitting on their couches waiting for the phone to ring. You could move a reserve offensive lineman to the backfield to do the same thing.

joseephuss

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
1 dimensional FB = wasted roster spot. Which is why Jamar Martin and Deon Dyer are just sitting on their couches waiting for the phone to ring. You could move a reserve offensive lineman to the backfield to do the same thing.

Very true. That is why Darian Barnes(he hasn't played) is on the Miami roster and Jamar Martin was let go. Barnes isn't good, but is more versitile than Martin.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
Bernstein is a much better athlete/runner than that scouting report wants to give him credit for.

I'd love to see him in the cowboys backfield.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Only Full Back that I would want
Complete package, hands better than most WR's, blocks, can run, is a great all around player

Hiero

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
bernstein is not exactly 1 dimensional. hes a great run blocker but is ok at other things ,and could certainly develop over time. It isnt like we plan to pass to the FB all the time, he just has to be able to catch it once in awhile on dumpoffs. Polite doesnt really do anything good that ive seen, so hes zero dimensional.

zagnut

Reaction score
Arkansas has a great all-around fullback too, but he's only a sophmore - Peyton Hillis.

Agree on Brian Leonard at Rutgers. Best fullback I've seen since Moose, though not quite the big-time blocker.

We seem to run out of formations with no fullback and TE-as-FB as often as we run out of Pro sets though, so I'm not sure I see BP paying much mind to the position. But that might be a function of his personnel.

thebigd31

Reaction score
Last year in a game were all the UW HB were injured bernstein played HB and had over 100 yards and he is very agile for his size. Ive seen him hurdle some players. A big guy should not be able to jump like him.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I say Papa Bernstein for FB next year!!

papa.gif

Check out the size of this guy! You know he could lay some fools out!