Matt Cassel leash is gonna be short

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If history has shown us anything ....the Cowboys patience is short. I will not be shocked to see a move to Kellen Moore if Cassel proves to be Weeden 2.0.

TonyS

Reaction score
Come on, man! Have a little faith! We won't move that quickly anyway, Wedone proved that. He gets at least 2 games unless he's a turnover machine.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Why do I think you could see Kellen????

1. Romo was an unknown when the Cowboys rolled the dice to save the year....so there is a precedence.

2. I just can't see Cowboy Nation tolerating a 5 game losing streak without panic setting in......Cowboys would make a move....and it wouldn't be going back to Weedon. That bridge has been burned.;)

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Why do I think you could see Kellen????

1. Romo was an unknown when the Cowboys rolled the dice to save the year....so there is a precedence.

2. I just can't see Cowboy Nation tolerating a 5 game losing streak without panic setting in......Cowboys would make a move....and it wouldn't be going back to Weedon. That bridge has been burned.;)

Romo was not an unkown, the coaching staff thought high enough of him that he started a pre season game, not due to injury in 2005 and prior to 2006, New Orleans offered a 2nd round pick for him and we declined based off the confidence we had in him. Neither is the case with Moore, we literally claimed him off waivers, meaning no team wanted him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He won't even be active just an emergency back which doesn't count against the 45.

But they could throw him in there if Cassel gets injured and leave Weeden as the backup. Don't want to even think of that.

They don't have the game day 3rd QB rule anymore. Prior to 2012 there was a 45 man game day roster with a 46th player that was the 3rd QB. In 2012 they just made it a straight 46 man roster with no special rules regarding the 3rd QB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore won't see the field this year, unless both Cassel and Weeden are injured before Romo returns.
Once Romo is back, Moore goes back to thenPS, if just not outright released.

If we beat the Giants and Cassel looks good, and if we need a roster spot, I can see Morre being released before Romo returns.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If history has shown us anything ....the Cowboys patience is short. I will not be shocked to see a move to Kellen Moore if Cassel proves to be Weeden 2.0.

It's more likely that Moore will be cut and moved back to the practice squad.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They don't have the game day 3rd QB rule anymore. Prior to 2012 there was a 45 man game day roster with a 46th player that was the 3rd QB. In 2012 they just made it a straight 46 man roster with no special rules regarding the 3rd QB.

I guess I didn't get the memo. Looked it up (not to check just to refresh) and they abolished it for the 2011 season.

So there is a 46 game day roster.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sounds like Broaddus is hearing that the team likes Moore a fair amount, anyway. Right now it's purely as a developmental player, though.

Cassel gets the starts until Romo is back, unless he gets hurt. The fact that Weeden is still on the roster makes that pretty clear. When we cut Weeden, you know we're serious about playing Moore in a pinch. Until Tony's back, of course.

If we do keep Moore on the active roster, though, when Tony's back, that tells me they like him a fair amount and not just as a possible long-term backup.

Last edited:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I hope the Matt Cassel leash is only four weeks long and number 9 comes back. Even if the Cowboys are 4-5 at that point I can see Romo lead the Cowboys to five or more wins over the last seven.

Quick stat- over the past 18 regular season games Romo has started, the Cowboys are 15-3. Thought I'd introduce some positive vibes to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.