Matt Rhule was blown away by Bill Belichick

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This has Jerry written all over it if MM is fired

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...s/matt-rhule-was-blown-away-by-bill-belichick

Matt Rhule was blown away by Bill Belichick​

Published April 9, 2024 05:00 PM

Former Patriots coach Bill Belichick currently doesn’t have a job, but he’s definitely keeping busy.

He recently spoke at Nebraska’s annual coaching clinic. Cornhuskers head coach Matt Rhule, who was blown out as an NFL coach in Carolina, was blown away by Belichick.

“He is so smart, he’s seen so much, that he can make the complex so simple that it humbles you and embarrasses you,” Rhule said, via KETV 7 in Omaha. “I was embarrassed . . . listening to him, how smart he is, how simple it was. He went four and a half hours just with the coaches. Forget the clinic, like, he came in and met with our coaching staff. And three and a half hours in, I was like, ‘Coach, would you like a water? Cup of coffee? Would you like to use the restroom?’ Because I desperately had to use the restroom, you know? And he’s like, ‘I’m fine, Matt.’ I was like, ‘Yes, sir.’ Just sitting there and just talking, right?

“And just his recall from things 15 years ago. And the only reason why we don’t get through more information is because he’s having to slow down to make sure you understand what he’s saying. I mean, so you have this man who’s a savant, right? Who’s been a defensive coordinator. He’s been a special teams coordinator. He’s coached, you know, he could be an offensive coordinator. He’s been a head coach twice. He’s been a G.M. . . . He’s talking about football in a way that just like, I mean, illuminates things, that makes things so simple that you’re like, ‘Oh my goodness.’”

Chasing6

Reaction score

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...s/matt-rhule-was-blown-away-by-bill-belichick

Former Patriots coach Bill Belichick currently doesn’t have a job, but he’s definitely keeping busy.

He recently spoke at Nebraska’s annual coaching clinic. Cornhuskers head coach Matt Rhule, who was blown out as an NFL coach in Carolina, was blown away by Belichick.

“He is so smart, he’s seen so much, that he can make the complex so simple that it humbles you and embarrasses you,” Rhule said, via KETV 7 in Omaha. “I was embarrassed . . . listening to him, how smart he is, how simple it was. He went four and a half hours just with the coaches. Forget the clinic, like, he came in and met with our coaching staff. And three and a half hours in, I was like, ‘Coach, would you like a water? Cup of coffee? Would you like to use the restroom?’ Because I desperately had to use the restroom, you know? And he’s like, ‘I’m fine, Matt.’ I was like, ‘Yes, sir.’ Just sitting there and just talking, right?

“And just his recall from things 15 years ago. And the only reason why we don’t get through more information is because he’s having to slow down to make sure you understand what he’s saying. I mean, so you have this man who’s a savant, right? Who’s been a defensive coordinator. He’s been a special teams coordinator. He’s coached, you know, he could be an offensive coordinator. He’s been a head coach twice. He’s been a G.M. . . . He’s talking about football in a way that just like, I mean, illuminates things, that makes things so simple that you’re like, ‘Oh my goodness.’”
Should be our new GM.

1942willys

Reaction score
The guy put a system in place that lasted twenty years. A roster that was in the hunt every single year.
BUT has he burned out? It happens to every coach sooner or later and the guy is over 70.

1942willys

Reaction score
Did not sound like he was burned out if he talked for 4.5 hours straight.
Fact is that the last few years the Pats roster and team went downhill fast. He might still have the energy but has he lost the touch is the question.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The guy put a system in place that lasted twenty years. A roster that was in the hunt every single year.
BUT has he burned out? It happens to every coach sooner or later and the guy is over 70.
Idiots like Cowherd and Shady want to give all the credit to Brady.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
If Mac isn't resigned we will get zimmer as hc and like it!!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's that tendency to give too much credit to the quarterback. Brady is the GOAT, but some of those Super Bowl teams had some pretty incredible defenses, too. He definitely doesn't get the one in Tampa without that defense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's that tendency to give too much credit to the quarterback. Brady is the GOAT, but some of those Super Bowl teams had some pretty incredible defenses, too. He definitely doesn't get the one in Tampa without that defense.
:hammer: :hammer: This gets lost on fans. I live in the area code....no way hell Brady/Bucs win the Super Bowl w/o their D and trust me, every bloody Buc fan will tell you the same.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Like it or not........He's your next Dallas Cowboy HC if MM is fired. I'm good with that but if plans to Josh McDaniel with him, stay away (lol)

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

If MM was replaced by Bill, I doubt many would object.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Brady helped tremendously, and Bill lost a lot when he lost Brady, but Bill was much more to the Patriots franchise than just being the HC.
He had a very big role in that entire franchises stability during his tenure.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
With a guy like BB I would be careful. Does he have enough gas in the engine to start all over again. If you bring himj in you need to work with him to bring coaching guys who have energy and prior experience to carry him and this roster through the transition quickly.

We all saw what happened to Parcells. He ran out of gas carrying his younger staff and trying to imprint his culture of accountability to what was a very undisciplined Cowboys team with a bunch of scrubs.

Mike Zimmer was his most senior coach. He had a lot of his stafff starting out at two years or less in the league as coaches. Bill was carrying these guys alot, and relying on Payton and Zimmer to put this thing together under his tutelage, but you could see in his demeanour on the sidelines that he it wasn't always easy as he had cross words with his coaches.

If we have to let MM go, and we are thinking of an old timer like BB, then I would look at the support system needed to get the team working in the fashion that he would be accustomed to.

Then I would hire a shrink to work on Jerry and help him accept the consequences of hiring BB.