Mattress Mack will cash in on $3.4M bet for Super Bowl LV

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale, the Houston furniture store owner who is known for making giant sports bets, has won the largest wager on Super Bowl LV so far -- $3.46 million on the underdog Tampa Bay Buccaneers at +3.5.

McIngvale flew into Colorado Springs on Wednesday, logged on to the DraftKings mobile betting app from the airport and placed one of the largest bets ever on the Super Bowl. After paying a little extra in juice (-127) to get the Bucs at +3.5, McIngvale will take home $2.72 million.

"Tampa Bay is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and led by the greatest football player of all time in Tom Brady, so I'm betting big on the Bucs who have overcome tough matchups throughout this postseason," McIngvale said in a release from DraftKings last week.

Mattress Mack wins $3.4 million bet on Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Super Bowl LV - ABC13 Houston

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
$3200
If I put one hundred dollars down on every team to win the Superbowl, at the start of the season, how much will I get in the end?

Joking of course.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Thats a big time bettor for ya. I wonder whats the most he ever lost?

Flamma

Reaction score
When I used to go to the race track and bet on horses (the trotters/pacers) back in the mid 80s, guys would come in early with suitcases full of cash to bet one horse on one race. He would quickly go to 1-9. That's right, bet 9 bucks to win a dollar. Well, this time the 2nd best horse named "Run the Table" won. I'll never forget the name because it was my first big win. I bet a 20 dollar exacta with him winning. The only reason I did was because had I put the favorite first I wouldn't have won anything. Sitting there at 1-9 and blinking. But those guys, all that money gone! I don't care how much money you have, that has to hurt.

remdak

Reaction score
Smart to bet on the GOAT
It was also smart in that it mainly was a way of hedging his bets. He had some promotion (I can't remember the exact details) where everybody who made a purchase above a specific amount in a time frame before the game would get it all free if the Patriots won. So, if the Patriots won, he is out a ton of money for free furniture. But, by making that bet, he can cover the free furniture with the gambling winnings. If the Patriots lose, he loses the money, but doesn't have to give away free furniture and gets alot of publicity. Its a big deal, because he sells a great deal of furniture at his store. Its a massive operation.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale, the Houston furniture store owner who is known for making giant sports bets, has won the largest wager on Super Bowl LV so far -- $3.46 million on the underdog Tampa Bay Buccaneers at +3.5.

McIngvale flew into Colorado Springs on Wednesday, logged on to the DraftKings mobile betting app from the airport and placed one of the largest bets ever on the Super Bowl. After paying a little extra in juice (-127) to get the Bucs at +3.5, McIngvale will take home $2.72 million.

"Tampa Bay is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and led by the greatest football player of all time in Tom Brady, so I'm betting big on the Bucs who have overcome tough matchups throughout this postseason," McIngvale said in a release from DraftKings last week.

Mattress Mack wins $3.4 million bet on Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Super Bowl LV - ABC13 Houston

I'm happy for him. Mattress Mack is a good guy and does a lot for the community. Congrats to him.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
It was also smart in that it mainly was a way of hedging his bets. He had some promotion (I can't remember the exact details) where everybody who made a purchase above a specific amount in a time frame before the game would get it all free if the Patriots won. So, if the Patriots won, he is out a ton of money for free furniture. But, by making that bet, he can cover the free furniture with the gambling winnings. If the Patriots lose, he loses the money, but doesn't have to give away free furniture and gets alot of publicity. Its a big deal, because he sells a great deal of furniture at his store. Its a massive operation.

he takes out insurance policies for those promotions.

And it wasnt the patriots, it was the chiefs

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Yeah but Mac does a lot for the community. During floods he was there with food and shelter for those in need and this last week during the hard freeze he took in people and feed them. He has built a fortune from nothing to where he is now but has always stepped up for the community.
I'm well aware of McIngvale having lived in the Houston area for about thirty years. I remember seeing him in the audience as I was watching the Morton Downey Show on TV about 1989. This episode was about the efficacy of building a border wall. Anyway, McIngvale jumped up and shouted 'It will save us money!' To which Downey responded 'Sit down and shaddup, you idiot!' Priceless.