Maurice Hurst- What the heck am I missing?

tm1119

Reaction score
Good post and comparison.

Hopefully Harrison can put on 50 pounds and stay the same. He’s around 255 right now

Harrison Phillips is not 255, you must be looking at his weight entering Stanford or something. I have no idea what his actual weight is (he’s listed all over the place), but there’s no way he’s under 280. I’d say probably a little over 290 if I had to guess

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Phillips was listed at 295 lbs for Stanford this past year.

His style reminds me of Kyle Williams from the Bills. Phillips is a phyhical and stubborn dude.

tm1119

Reaction score
I'm going to anger a certain Michigan fan on this board, but to me, Hurst is much closer to Timmy Jernigan (48th overall pick) than he is to Aaron Donald (13th overall pick).

I think he will be a solid NFL starter that won't have an immediate or major impact.

I agree with this, but not sure Jernigan is the best comparison. Jernigan is pretty powerful. I’d probably put him somewhere between Tyrone Crawford (when he played DT) and Grady Jarrett. Which is a good player... I probably came off a little harsh on Hurst in the original post, he’s probably more of a 25-40 pick type of talent. I just really don’t see a top 20 DT who will be a consistent game wreaker for opposing o lines in the NFL.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree with this, but not sure Jernigan is the best comparison. Jernigan is pretty powerful. I’d probably put him somewhere between Tyrone Crawford (when he played DT) and Grady Jarrett. Which is a good player... I probably came off a little harsh on Hurst in the original post, he’s probably more of a 25-40 pick type of talent. I just really don’t see a top 20 DT who will be a consistent game wreaker for opposing o lines in the NFL.

I honestly have no idea how Jarrett fell so far, what a steal. His draft profile had him slated as a 2nd rounder, and I think Hurst offers a little more as a pass rusher coming out.

Pro comparison is fairly fair though. I think if Hurst turns into Jarrett that's a home run as he's one of the best DT's in football.

Macnalty

Reaction score
At 19 we are hoping for Ro Smith, Derwin James if I had to guess, Hurst, Phillips, Davenport, Connor Williams{oline}and maybe a QB who slips should all be on our radar as ammunition we would be quick to grab. I am not sure the WR's are worthy of the first round pick this year. I know there are others but this is the dream list in late Jan. IMO . At this point in time I like Guice over Barkley just to give you an idea of how I see things as I believe most people have seen both these players.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm going to anger a certain Michigan fan on this board, but to me, Hurst is much closer to Timmy Jernigan (48th overall pick) than he is to Aaron Donald (13th overall pick).

I think he will be a solid NFL starter that won't have an immediate or major impact.

Jernigan is a frickin' good player, so that would be fine with me.

Aaron Donald is an all world athlete - seriously, check out his spider chart - and Hurst simply isn't in that same league. That's OK though - there's plenty of room to fit in between "good starter" and "DPOY."

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/aaron-donald

cowboyec

Reaction score
what is impressive to me about Hurst in the Ohio St game is the number of triple teams he kept facing...and he still keeps comin'.
and very seldom does he get knocked off his feet.Im hopin' we get him at 19....but by draft day,teams are gonna fall in love with this cat and he could be the 1st DT off the board.
Hope its at 19.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I wouldnt mind him tbh,i bet Marinelli will love this guy.

cnuball21

Reaction score
what is impressive to me about Hurst in the Ohio St game is the number of triple teams he kept facing...and he still keeps comin'.
and very seldom does he get knocked off his feet.Im hopin' we get him at 19....but by draft day,teams are gonna fall in love with this cat and he could be the 1st DT off the board.
Hope its at 19.

The OSU tape this year is solid. For a guy that is a little smaller he holds his ground against those double/triple teams.

Sydla

Reaction score

He's the 4th DT in the first round that I would take behind Vea, Bryan and Payne.