Max Jean-Gilles

burmafrd

Reaction score
A LA clone. That is the guy- we can trade down from 18 to late in the first and get him. then get a FS in the 2nd.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
A LA clone. That is the guy- we can trade down from 18 to late in the first and get him. then get a FS in the 2nd.
I thought that at first, but now i'm starting to wonder if BP doesn't want really big guards on the line.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

I wouldn't call him an LA clone.

Now... if you said he looks like he ate several LA clones, then I'd agree.

seriously though, He's a good player, but will likely be drafted right between our first and second round picks.

If he's there in the second, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Watched him at the combine- the heaviest O lineman there but he still had very good quickness and agility. Take about 15 lbs off of him (from 355 to 340) and he could be even quicker but still able to pancake any one around.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Watched him at the combine- the heaviest O lineman there but he still had very good quickness and agility. Take about 15 lbs off of him (from 355 to 340) and he could be even quicker but still able to pancake any one around.

True, and he's not just a big guy, he has the talent.

That extra weight might cause him to drop a few spots in the draft like it did with Petitti last year, although no way in hell will he drop out of the 2nd round.

JMO

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rack said:
True, and he's not just a big guy, he has the talent.

That extra weight might cause him to drop a few spots in the draft like it did with Petitti last year, although no way in hell will he drop out of the 2nd round.

JMO
He does move well for a big man, and could be extremely intimidating. This is very interesting what's going on here and how it affects the draft.

Justis

Reaction score
If he was a Larry Allen clone, he'd be a much higher pick. Allen was probably 10 times more talented than this guy. I'd rather pick a safety.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Justis said:
If he was a Larry Allen clone, he'd be a much higher pick. Allen was probably 10 times more talented than this guy. I'd rather pick a safety.
Allen was a 2nd or 3rd rounder I think. But I do agree, I'd like to get a FS or OLB 1st.

marchetta

Reaction score
How the he!! r u gonna choose a player that can't pass BP's TC wind sprints. He's about as agile as LA is now, and he doesn't have the stamina to go 4 quarters against an NFL DT. We need someone that can actually pull, move, and get to the second level of defenders. If we wanted an immobile road-grader, we should have just kept LA another year.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I'd prefer Charles Spencer. If we want him, Gilles will probably be there at 48. His combine didn't help him.

J-DOG

Reaction score
I like Davin Joseph-G-Oklahoma as the best guard prospect.
He's a guard who can move and pull and I think that would fit in well with our new line.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I said this in the draft zone...but is now appropriate here with LA's release...

Daryn Colledge is a good OT, HOWEVER he is only 6'43/300lbs. Add 10 lbs to this kid and you have one tough/smart/strong/athletic/durable OG, that could play OT in a pinch.

I say draft his kid now and add 10 lbs and let him learn OG...I think he could turn out to be a good one in the long run.

The days of the 350 lbs OG's need to be done and gone in Dallas. We have not ran a decent screen or draw in years...barring the draws by JJ in the Seattle game 2004.

We need 310 lb athletic OG's that can move and open holes.

jrumann59

Reaction score
LA went low in the draft due to where he went to college. Back when the cowboys were drafting gems from NAIA and NCAA Div II schools the NFL was still picking guys by their pedigree from the college they atteded, teams in the 90's took more fliers on your big football school players then on small college players like LA, EW, DC.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I watched GIlles at the combine- he has WAY more agility then LA has now and GIlles is at 355. Take 15 lbs off of him and he is even more agile and still big enough and strong enough to take on ANYONE one on one.

Woods

Reaction score
BP definitely doesn't like "fat guys" on his team.

Not saying that Gilles is one of those.

But I guess the biggest concern I have with guys like Gilles and Deuce is whether they are going to eat themselves out of the league in a couple of years (like Fonoti - sp?). That said, a lot of that depends on their work habits, etc., so with regard to Gilles, if I were a scout, that's one thing I'd take special notice of. Is he self-motivated and is he a hard worker?

If Gilles does have those attributes of pushing himself in the off-season, etc., his size would be a big advantage, IMO.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Woods said:
BP definitely doesn't like "fat guys" on his team.

Not saying that Gilles is one of those.

But I guess the biggest concern I have with guys like Gilles and Deuce is whether they are going to eat themselves out of the league in a couple of years (like Fonoti - sp?). That said, a lot of that depends on their work habits, etc., so with regard to Gilles, if I were a scout, that's one thing I'd take special notice of. Is he self-motivated and is he a hard worker?

If Gilles does have those attributes of pushing himself in the off-season, etc., his size would be a big advantage, IMO.

Petitti weighed like 370 lbs at the senior bowl last year so BP is willing to take a chance on fat guys (gambling that he can work them into shape). Not sure he would do it with a 2nd round pick though.

Woods

Reaction score
Rack said:
Petitti weighed like 370 lbs at the senior bowl last year so BP is willing to take a chance on fat guys (gambling that he can work them into shape). Not sure he would do it with a 2nd round pick though.

Yup, see what you mean.

Actually, one Guard prospect who seems interesting to me is Davin Joseph. He only weighs around 305 lbs., but I think with a year in the off-season program, he'd be fine from a bulk standpoint.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

waste of a draft pick in the first rd...anyone who plays interior OL positons only is a waste of a 1st rd pick IMO

and as a UGA guy I can tell you he is absolutely nothing like Larry Allen...Giles has alot of bust potential because of his weight issues and doesnt have anywhere near the movement skills Allen had when he came in

David