Max Jean-Gilles

K-Mart

Reaction score
Hasn't been much talk about him that I have seen and could step in as our starting LG. He is the 2nd coming of LA and could have a very nice impact on our team. Most mocks I've seen..... he should be around in the 2nd. I wouldn't mind it one bit.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think he will be gone by our pick in the 2nd. You are right in that he is a LA clone - but he has quickness that LA lost years ago.

K-Mart

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I think he will be gone by our pick in the 2nd. You are right in that he is a LA clone - but he has quickness that LA lost years ago.

some mocks have him going late in the 2nd. Guards normally aren't a high priority on peoples wish list...... if he is available i think we would be crazy not to take him.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
K-Mart said:
some mocks have him going late in the 2nd. Guards normally aren't a high priority on peoples wish list...... if he is available i think we would be crazy not to take him.

I wouldn't mind any of the top 4 guards in the 2nd or 3rd. Giles, Spencer, Joseph, or Lutui. If we get ONE of them, I think our guard depth would be significantly improved. I just hope Jerry doesn't pull a loser out of Nowhere State in the 3rd round to be the "Guard of the Future". Hopefully Ireland has his sights set on the real playahs.

Manster

Reaction score
From what very little I have seen, I like Spencer the best and think he may be there in the second.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
I wouldn't mind any of the top 4 guards in the 2nd or 3rd. Giles, Spencer, Joseph, or Lutui. If we get ONE of them, I think our guard depth would be significantly improved. I just hope Jerry doesn't pull a loser out of Nowhere State in the 3rd round to be the "Guard of the Future". Hopefully Ireland has his sights set on the real playahs.

They had no luck with big school guys either see Peterman and Rogers (LSU-SCal) so like you say hopefully Ireland is the difference maker this year.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
ROYDESTROY said:
They had no luck with big school guys either see Peterman and Rogers (LSU-SCal) so like you say hopefully Ireland is the difference maker this year.

This years Oline class is MUCH stronger than the Peterman/Rogers class. Hell, Peterman was considered the 3rd best guard that year, and Rogers was either 2nd or 3rd best tackle. Much deeper this year.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
This years Oline class is MUCH stronger than the Peterman/Rogers class. Hell, Peterman was considered the 3rd best guard that year, and Rogers was either 2nd or 3rd best tackle. Much deeper this year.

That should help for this year but does nothing to make up for the 2004 class debacle other than hopefully learning from the mistakes by having Ireland in place.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Most scout services have him and spencer 1 & 2 at guard. I think he will be gone by the 49th pick. Most of the mocks I have seen have him going either late 1st or early second.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
K-Mart said:
Hasn't been much talk about him that I have seen and could step in as our starting LG. He is the 2nd coming of LA and could have a very nice impact on our team. Most mocks I've seen..... he should be around in the 2nd. I wouldn't mind it one bit.

please, he is absolutely NOTHING like Larry Allen...what are some of you watching to draw those comparisons?...I'm a UGA guy and see virtually everyone of their games, and he isnt anywhere close to a John Hannah, Larry Allen type talent

would be a total waste of a 1st rd pick, interior OL's are poor choices early in the draft

David

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Most scout services have him and spencer 1 & 2 at guard. I think he will be gone by the 49th pick. Most of the mocks I have seen have him going either late 1st or early second.

Joseph or Lutui would be great pick ups if they are gone IMO. Lutui can play both tackle and guard since we seem to put such a premium on that. Joseph has been responsible for a lot of the runs that A. Peterson had these last couple of years.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The whole point of replacing Allen is finding a guy who can kick out on sweeps and screen plays. That ain't Gilles.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Please. LA is a once in a generation OG. MJG will probably be a solid guard, but to compare him to LA is ludicrous.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ROYDESTROY said:

I wouldnt writw off Peterman so quickly. He played well last preseason.

The only basis you have for writing him off was that he didnt play at RG last season. Gurode started instead at RG and he actually has experience and practice at RG whereas Peterman has been at LG the whole time.

I feel that keeping Peterman at LG only is a good move as he learns the NFL game and could benefit him coming into this season.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:

The only basis you have for writing him off was that he didnt play at RG last season. Gurode started instead at RG and he actually has experience and practice at RG whereas Peterman has been at LG the whole time.

I feel that keeping Peterman at LG only is a good move as he learns the NFL game and could benefit him coming into this season.
I think we are writing him off because Parcells didn't trust him to switch from left to right guard. When you are inside, it's not a difficult concept. I'm hoping he does better, but it's going to be year 3, and youj know what Landry said about year 3 players.

Reaction score
bbgun said:
The whole point of replacing Allen is finding a guy who can kick out on sweeps and screen plays. That ain't Gilles.

There's no way I compare ANY rookie to one of the greatest OL of all-time in the NFL. However, I watched Gilles in the Senior Bowl, and he looked pretty agile on a couple of sweeps they ran. I would take him in the 2nd, definately!

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:

I have not written Peterman off but based on his performance or lack thereof thus far it is reasonable to suggest he may be a bust. I hope he is indeed NOT a bust but the jury is definitely still out in his case.

If it is a matter of development and opportunity then Peterman, if he can play, will show out soon. Regardless, the OL class of the 2004 draft has not been very productive for our team.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
I think we are writing him off because Parcells didn't trust him to switch from left to right guard. When you are inside, it's not a difficult concept. I'm hoping he does better, but it's going to be year 3, and youj know what Landry said about year 3 players.

I agree completely..this year he shows or goes...:lmao2::eek:

burmafrd

Reaction score
I watched GIlles at the Senior Bowl and he did well at the second level and moved very well on sweeps when he pulled. I think he needs to lose some weight- maybe 15 lbs- but I think he could be very good for a long time.
the Bowl game Georgia had I remember looking at their O line and he was rather obvious from the way he was using the leg bones of the DT's as toothpicks.