Max Jean-Gilles

Manster68

Reaction score
Of course, there is no way you can compare a rookie with Larry Allen.

That said, Gilles is rated the top offensive guard in the draft.

Dallas can trade down from #18 and pick him up late in the first round. I will also agree that he will not be there when Dallas picks at #49.

I do see the Cowboys getting a guard in rounds 1 or 2.

Gilles, Latui, or Spencer and I am happy.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Manster68 said:
I do see the Cowboys getting a guard in rounds 1 or 2.

Gilles, Latui, or Spencer and I am happy.

I dont, because they wont play and unless someone gets hurt, would be a totally wasted pick for 2006

factor that in with interior OL's almost always ending up as lowe return on 1st rd investment, and I am never for doing that

Giles and Latui are both prime candidates to eat themselves out of the league as well

David

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ROYDESTROY said:
I have not written Peterman off but based on his performance or lack thereof thus far it is reasonable to suggest he may be a bust. I hope he is indeed NOT a bust but the jury is definitely still out in his case.

If it is a matter of development and opportunity then Peterman, if he can play, will show out soon. Regardless, the OL class of the 2004 draft has not been very productive for our team.

The only experience we have with him is the 2005 preseason where Peterson played well. He graded out in his blocking assignments better than any other Cowboy than Adams.

You ignore that and go by the two games that Rivera missed and Gurode was starting rather than Peterman to make your case. Now there are a few considerations to look at here. First, Gurode had played RG in the past and thus had experience to step in and start with the limited reps he would get there.

Second is that Parcells stated specifically that he felt that having forcied Gurode to learn multiple positions early was a bad choice on his part. What is to think that Parcells wouldnt want Peterman to concentrate his practice reps on refining his technique on the left side.

I hear a lot of people saying that RG and LG are the same position but I am not buying that. I am all but positive that from a footwork, balance and handwork standpoint they are not the same at all. Peterman had just come off injury and before the injury the knock on him had been his pass protection. That has everything to do with technique and footwork.

That is why it makes complete sense to me why Parcells would keep him at the same spot. I also remember a ongoing refrain normally venting at Zimmer on how Ware was not just moved around from linebacker spot to linebacker spot.

To me this is very simple. Parcells learned his mistake with Gurode and decided not to switch rookies around from one spot to another arbitrarily. His young backups got reps at one position and that is what they backed up.

Basically your theory is that Peterman might have played well in preseason but he regressed to sucking and thus Parcells elected not to play him. I dont buy that for a second. It makes much more sense that he stuck Peterman at LG and that if Allen goes down and only if Allen goes down that Peterman goes in. Gurode had the experience at RG to do just that.

If Allen had gone down you and Peterman didnt play id be singing that refrain as well. He didnt though and Parcells said that Peterman was at LG not RG and that was the reason why he wasnt played.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
I think we are writing him off because Parcells didn't trust him to switch from left to right guard. When you are inside, it's not a difficult concept. I'm hoping he does better, but it's going to be year 3, and youj know what Landry said about year 3 players.

This is what im talking about. You say that but Im not buying it.

The blocking assignments may be similar which i dont necessarily agree with when dealing with a 4-3 BUT the footwork and technique in general is not the same at all. It may be a mirror image but it isnt the same.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
This is what im talking about. You say that but Im not buying it.

The blocking assignments may be similar which i dont necessarily agree with when dealing with a 4-3 BUT the footwork and technique in general is not the same at all. It may be a mirror image but it isnt the same.

Look, I agree that it is different. I played RB and much rather have run to the right then the left, and even felt uncomfortable doing it at the beginning, but you train yourself to do it. Guards footwork don't have much to do with it when direction and finding the right player detemines the success.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Look, I agree that it is different. I played RB and much rather have run to the right then the left, and even felt uncomfortable doing it at the beginning, but you train yourself to do it. Guards footwork don't have much to do with it when direction and finding the right player detemines the success.

Its more than 'go hit that guy.' Especially when you get innto the issue of having to chip a guy and move to the second level and the assignments on sweeps, pulls, traps and screens. You yourself say that you have to train yourself to do it.

Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that Parcells decided that he would rather Peterman get a full years worth of reps at LG before he started moving him around? Just like he said he did.

Manster68

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I dont, because they wont play and unless someone gets hurt, would be a totally wasted pick for 2006

factor that in with interior OL's almost always ending up as lowe return on 1st rd investment, and I am never for doing that

Giles and Latui are both prime candidates to eat themselves out of the league as well

David

Not necessarily dbair. I see where you are coming from, but under Bill's regime, I don't see their weight getting out of hand.

Case in point - Rob Petitti.

I'll say this though - if Dallas does grab one of these guys, then Bill and Jerry are relying heavily on Jeff Ireland IMO. I am sure the scouting department will dig into their souls as best they can.

I also believe that any of those three, Gilles, Latui, or Spencer, can step right in and be the starter at guard. If Al Johnson can crack the starting lineup the first week of training camp his rookie season (unfortunity going on the IR afterwards), any of these three can unseat Kosier.

Agree or disagree?

Regardless, we will find out if one of these get selected by Dallas in April.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Manster68 said:
Not necessarily dbair. I see where you are coming from, but under Bill's regime, I don't see their weight getting out of hand.

Case in point - Rob Petitti.

I'll say this though - if Dallas does grab one of these guys, then Bill and Jerry are relying heavily on Jeff Ireland IMO. I am sure the scouting department will dig into their souls as best they can.

I also believe that any of those three, Gilles, Latui, or Spencer, can step right in and be the starter at guard. If Al Johnson can crack the starting lineup the first week of training camp his rookie season (unfortunity going on the IR afterwards), any of these three can unseat Kosier.

Agree or disagree?

Regardless, we will find out if one of these get selected by Dallas in April.

just dont see it happening...the hole at FS and OLB is alot bigger than OL right now...they didnt spend what they did on Kosier (and let Allen go with apparently little effort to restructure) to have him warm the bench...your #1 taregt in free agency (as the Cowboys proclaimed) isnt a guy destined to sit on the pine

and then there's my #1 rule of drafting if I were running a draft, and thats to never use a 1st rd pick on an interior OL...its too easy to find quality guards and centers in the middle rounds, or sign serviceable free agents to fill those spots...

David