Maybe Jason Garrett should be in the booth?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I saw someone on NFL Live mention that Mike Martz should have been in the booth during that 49ers game where they completely screwed up the game.

That got me to thinking about Jason Garrett moving to the booth.

I think he would get a better feel for what the defenses are doing against us as the games wear on. Then he can make adjustments accordingly. It's a whole differnet perspective and you can see what all 11 defenders are doing from play to play. There isn't any way he can see what the RCB is doing when the Cowboys are inside the 10 yard line and he's on the other side of the field.

I know that he and Romo are always chatting when Romo comes to the sideline, but I think Wade Wilson can handle that job if Garrett moves into the booth. Plus there is always the trusty bat phone on the sideline.

Garrett came here as inexperienced play caller. He has his moments, but the inconsistency is what hurts our offense. I think the emotion of being on the sideline can also mess with his thought process, especially when the offense is struggling and he seems to be pressing to come up with a big play to get things back on track.

It may not be a good idea to change it up now in midseason, but what if he's back next season as the OC again. It's not actually set in stone that he's going to be the head coach in 2009, although I definitely think he's back next season as the OC if Jerry brings in someone else as the HC.

What do you guys think?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
but than who coaches the team on the sidelines? we all know Wade doesn't do a damn thing down there but stand there with that stupid look on his face. golly gee

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rampage;2416672 said:
but than who coaches the team on the sidelines? we all know Wade doesn't do a damn thing down there but stand there with that stupid look on his face. golly gee
And Garrett does nothing but sit with his legs crossed like a woman.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
dc, Garrett may indeed be in the booth next year.

Broadcasting Princeton games for radio.:D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
:bang2:

Beyond thinking that, I just don't know any more.

Explain why Steve Spagnuola is on the sidelines but no one says perhaps he should be in the booth." Jim Johnson, on the sidelines. Tom Moore, on the sidelines.

We want to go round and round with semantics about where a coordinator is located? Why?

Decleater101

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2416665 said:
I saw someone on NFL Live mention that Mike Martz should have been in the booth during that 49ers game where they completely screwed up the game.

I think he would get a better feel for what the defenses are doing against us as the games wear on. Then he can make adjustments accordingly. It's a whole differnet perspective and you can see what all 11 defenders are doing from play to play. There isn't any way he can see what the RCB is doing when the Cowboys are inside the 10 yard line and he's on the other side of the field.

I know that he and Romo are always chatting when Romo comes to the sideline, but I think Wade Wilson can handle that job if Garrett moves into the booth. Plus there is always the trusty bat phone on the sideline.

Garrett came here as inexperienced play caller. He has his moments, but the inconsistency is what hurts our offense. I think the emotion of being on the sideline can also mess with his thought process, especially when the offense is struggling and he seems to be pressing to come up with a big play to get things back on track.

It may not be a good idea to change it up now in midseason, but what if he's back next season as the OC again. It's not actually set in stone that he's going to be the head coach in 2009, although I definitely think he's back next season as the OC if Jerry brings in someone else as the HC.

What do you guys think?

I think you make a good point. It's something that might warrant serious consideration. I wonder how many, if any, OC's in the leauge actually call the game from the booth?

:confused:

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2416700 said:
:bang2:

Beyond thinking that, I just don't know any more.

Explain why Steve Spagnuola is on the sidelines but no one says perhaps he should be in the booth." Jim Johnson, on the sidelines. Tom Moore, on the sidelines.

We want to go round and round with semantics about where a coordinator is located? Why?

Because of the reasons I mentioned. He looks frustrated sometimes. There have been plenty of O Cor's who sat in the booth. I wonder if he has ever tried it, wonder if he was in the booth in Miami as the QB's coach?

There has to be some advantages to being in the booth or why would there be any coaches up in the booth?

Garrett is still a young pup as an offensive coordinator and he has had struggles. If he continues to struggle with his game plans then maybe he should look to some new ideas.

J-DOG

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2416665 said:

What do you guys think?
You lost me when you mentioned NFL live.
It's ESPN.
It's the equivalent of bar room banter...except it's on TV.
Yeah the guys talking may have played the game but the topics and opinions are what you would hear at your local sports bar.
ESPN just riffs on topics...not much in-depth analysis, if at all.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2416778 said:
Because of the reasons I mentioned. He looks frustrated sometimes. There have been plenty of O Cor's who sat in the booth. I wonder if he has ever tried it, wonder if he was in the booth in Miami as the QB's coach?

There has to be some advantages to being in the booth or why would there be any coaches up in the booth?

Garrett is still a young pup as an offensive coordinator and he has had struggles. If he continues to struggle with his game plans then maybe he should look to some new ideas.
I don't think any OC has ever tried holding a duck feather quill pen in his right hand, a red marble in his left pocket, and his hat on backwards.

It might just work.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2417120 said:
I don't think any OC has ever tried holding a duck feather quill pen in his right hand, a red marble in his left pocket, and his hat on backwards.

It might just work.

:lmao2: :lmao:

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2417120 said:

It might just work.

LOL. I get it. You don't want excuses for why things aren't working out as well as we had all hoped.

I do agree it's all about blocking and tackling.

I didn't have much time earlier tonight to look around, but i just found this...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-12-26-playcallers-sideline_N.htm

Booth or sideline? Two perspectives
12/26/2007 12:55 PM | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Save | Print | By Chris Colston, USA TODAY

In the NFL, 22 play-callers work from field level and 10 operate in boxes overlooking the field.
Coaches have had success calling plays from both vantage points. While head coaches have no choice — they're on the sideline — other play-callers must weigh the merits of each perspective.
Working from a booth lets them see the entire field and block out distractions. "It's like watching film," Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians says.

But being on the sideline gives them a better feel for the game and allows direct communication with the quarterback. It might be too simplistic to divide play-callers into two categories, but at the core of the issue, it might come down to this: Is a coach the emotional type, or is he cold, hard and analytical?

"If you could talk to the quarterback from the booth, I might do it," Arians says. "But the way it is now, you lose valuable seconds relaying the call down. Sometimes you want to tell the quarterback what you're thinking: 'Hey, get it out of your hands quick and let's get 5 yards.' Or, 'Let's take a shot downfield. If it's not there, check it down.' But if you relay that down from the booth to the sideline, it never gets said right. You're like, 'No, that's not what I meant!'

"Plus, being on the sideline, I can yell and scream."

In his last six years as the Denver Broncos coordinator, Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak worked from the booth. "I'd rather be up there calling plays," he says. "You're just watching the chess match, totally removed from the emotions of the game. Now, that can hurt you sometimes. You might not make that call if you heard the crowd or saw what was going on emotionally with your team at that point."

Dallas Cowboys coordinator Jason Garrett has tried both locations. "At the end of the day, you probably see the game better upstairs," he says. "But you probably feel the game better from the field. As long as you have people you trust upstairs to help you see what the defense is doing, you're OK."

Bobby Petrino, who coached the Atlanta Falcons this season before resigning Dec. 11, says the men upstairs are crucial to a sideline play-caller. "They tell you what defenders are in the box, that kind of thing," he says. "They have it tough, because they have to watch the game like this" — Petrino holds a piece of paper up against the side of his face as if cutting the view of the field in half — "so they don't look at the quarterback and what's going on. They're just watching the defense."

Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden worked from the booth when he was the coordinator in Philadelphia but has been on the field since 1998 when he became head coach in Oakland. Being on the sideline, he says, "is a little bit maddening, because you don't get the privacy. You can't spread your sheets out; you can't really see the pre-snap looks; you can't see the substitutions. And there are a lot less distractions up in the box. The trainer doesn't talk to you. The player who was wide open doesn't talk to you. The guy who wants the ball doesn't come to talk to you. And you don't have to be in charge of the defense, with respect to the decisions and penalties and whole makeup of the game.

"But when you're up in the box, you can't yell at the official; you can't work them to get a call on the next series."

Gruden also likes the feel of the game on the sideline. He says he'll let players talk him into plays because he doesn't want to call an unpopular play. But most important, he treasures the direct line of communication with his quarterback. He wants to be able to read his emotions and his body language. "If I send a play in and I can see in the quarterback's eyes he doesn't like it," Gruden says, "I ain't calling it."

Detroit Lions coordinator Mike Martz is also a sideline guy. "I was up in the booth for the preseason last year and, at first, I was excited about it," he says. "But then I hated it. I couldn't talk to the quarterbacks the way I wanted. 'Tell Jon (Kitna) to …' I said, 'Aw, to heck with it.'

"On the sideline, you get into the feel and emotion of the game. I like being on the field more than I thought I would."

Steelers rookie head coach Mike Tomlin has always coached from the sideline, from his days directing Tampa Bay's secondary to last year as the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator.

"You can't cook from the living room," he says. "I think there is value in being able to look a man in the face and see what is going on with him."
-----------------------------------------------

I think that's the part about Garrett I was referring to, his emotions. And I guess he feels he can trust the guys up in the booth to realy to him what he needs.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Rampage;2416672 said:

All coaches should go to the booth and let Jethro roam the sideline alone with his precious, OVER PAID, apathetic "players"!!!!!!!

Zman5

Reaction score
Norv as a OC has always been in the booth. Maybe JG should try it as well.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
I think the sidelines is the best place for him to coach from. He says that you get a better feel for the game upstairs, but you get a better feel for your players when you are on the field and that is what matters. I think it is better for a coach to walk over and talk to a player face to face rather than through a microphone. As long as he trusts the guys upstairs (and he says that he does), what difference does it make? How about he coaches from his living room where he can watch the game on his big screen tv and get input from the tv announcers before he calls his plays? That might work too.