Maybe No Fullback?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was anyone else surprised by the statement by Bill today (8-4) that he may not keep a fullback on the roster?

I hadn't thought of that before. Seems possible at this point. I think our TE talent is overall much better than our talent at FB.

What say you?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Was anyone else surprised by the statement by Bill today (8-4) that he may not keep a fullback on the roster?

I hadn't thought of that before. Seems possible at this point. I think our TE talent is overall much better than our talent at FB.

What say you?

I think it is possible and I do expect to see Dallas use Campbell as an H-Back from time to time but I feel they will keep one of the competing FB on the roster

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Witten is far and away our best lead blocker from the FB position anyways.

Can't cut the FB's fast enough IMO.

Only type of FB we need is the type with hands and a little foot speed.

Since we don't have that, get it over with.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I could se them cutting all the FB's and having A-Train play that position in certain situations. Not as a lead blocker for JJ but in the way that Rickie Anderson used to play there on 3rd downs and such.

followthestar

Reaction score
think about how julius did in a one back set, how barber could do, and god help them what would happen if thompson got the ball in the flat opposite a fake pitchout to one of the other backs? these guys are all open field nightmares for defenses, and in short yardage we'd just do with guyslike pettiti and campbell on the line and let julius pick a hole. we don't need no stinking fullbacks...

Dat mans bro

Reaction score
We've heard a little about Barnes, but very little of Politi? Is he not getting the reps?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I could se them cutting all the FB's and having A-Train play that position in certain situations. Not as a lead blocker for JJ but in the way that Rickie Anderson used to play there on 3rd downs and such.
Yuck.....we need a big bulldozing fb for short yardage situations

blindzebra

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

What say you?

I've been saying that we might not carry a FB since it was pretty clear Anderson was done.

It's not rocket science, Parcells likes a versatile FB, He loves Witten and Campbell, and we have a numbers crunch at several spots on the roster. If any of the players in that crunch can give him more "plays" O, D, or ST than Barnes or Polite it's an easy call.

Reaction score
I still expect Polite to be the starting FB...
Sorry Rush, but Witten is a very good receiver, but lacks the ability to be a good blocker...
Barnes is a waste though...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

What say you?
I say that's a load of BP hotair....Julius probably just took a couple of baby aspirin to slow his heart. There's not a RB on the team that would welcome that news.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Yuck.....we need a big bulldozing fb for short yardage situations

We've got bigger bulldozing TEs who can go in motion and lead block better. And let's face it, this team has sucked at short yardage for probably 8 years. I don't think FB has been the only problem.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I say that's a load of BP hotair....Julius probably just took a couple of baby aspirin to slow his heart. There's not a RB on the team that would welcome that news.

I think we will see quite a few single back sets with the double TE, I do think we will keep a FB but even last year Jones was put in the single back formation and did a very good job doing so.

blindzebra

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Why?

Jones was at his best in one back sets last year, he's a seam runner with burst, he does not need a road grader in front of him.

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
I really think that what he said about not keeping any FB's is an indication that Bickerstaff is gonna make it. He's been practicing at both positions, and seems to have caught BP's attention. At 230, he's not the big bruising type of FB everyone wants, but he was Anthony Davis's FB so he must have some lead blocking abilities.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Look who he has to choose from, Mr. Winicki.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

What say you?

Well Mikey, I've been posting for a while now about the 2TE set ....

Guess what?

There is no FB in the 2 TE set ...

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Having said that, there are several possibilities here ... if you look at the roster and consider the possibility of using a 2 HB with one playing a Richie Anderson role ... then it's very possible and even likely that we won't have a true FB on the roster. Not to mention that most of the time, we'd run out of a single back formation in the 2 TE set.

I actually kind of hope that this is the route we take. I think we get more quality personnel w/o a FB.

Our backfield could very easily be Jones, Barber, A-train and Thomas (or Bickerstaff in a FB role) ... with no FB.

Remember how before Cambell was hurt how he used him in a lead blocking role by sending him in motion ... and Julius has had most of his success w/o a FB. As much as you hear the comparison, Julius Jones not even close to comparable to Emmitt Smith and he doesn't need a FB to be productive like Emmitt did.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
I still expect Polite to be the starting FB...
Sorry Rush, but Witten is a very good receiver, but lacks the ability to be a good blocker...
Barnes is a waste though...

JJ ran for 800+ yards last year primarily in a 1 back set or with Witten as the lead blocker from the full-house backfield.

Period, end of story.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
makes sense to me.That way it opens up an extra spot or two for players we can really use.