Maybe the Millennials are truly ruining football

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What's crystal clear is that Zeke has clearly outplayed his contract and should be compensated for doing so immediately!

What's really clear is that you either aren't paying attention or just don't care about the facts. Zeke has been offered a new contract and it's apparently in line with what Bell got so it's like top 2 or 3 in the entire league. The team has tried to compensate him and they did so immediately. It's Zeke who apparently isn't interested in that compensation. I think your crystal ball might be cracked.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
What's really clear is that you either aren't paying attention or just don't care about the facts. Zeke has been offered a new contract and it's apparently in line with what Bell got so it's like top 2 or 3 in the entire league. The team has tried to compensate him and they did so immediately. It's Zeke who apparently isn't interested in that compensation. I think your crystal ball might be cracked.
What's Bells numbers? If it's not Gurley money why bother. They told the world that was the floor. They gab to the media too much and brought this on themselves.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Every generation is different. The Millennials are uniquely different than my Generation X. They are a generation that doesn't respect authority, age, or status as their predecessors did. They expect those in charge to earn their respect rather than recognize titles.

This posses problems in careers that are built upon those traditional hierarchies as you may find in the military, police, and organized sports.

A millennial believes they are entitled to certain privileges and opportunities upon being hired. Hence the super star athletes who have been catered to their entire lives (21-27 years) believe they to are entitled hito thee highest salaries and statue.

EzE is a prime example of said entitlement. He agreed to his contact, yet his millennial ego is so fragile, he's demanding a contract compatible to the highest of stature....the team's QB.

The Millennials have done their best to damage the image of the NFL from the outside, and now they have began their campaign from within. They don't care about the team, but they are only "Out For Self."

The days of reconstruction of a player's contract for the betterment of the team is dead. Think about it, no millennial has done that as of late.....
They just think they're watching football

exciter

Reaction score
Oh c'mon, the market reset at Bell's deal which is lower that Gurley's. Exactly when has that ever happened before. Jones is just gonna have to suck it up and deal with the reality that at some point he's paying out more than Gurley's deal. Hopefully we're not completely eliminated from the playoffs first!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What's Bells numbers? If it's not Gurley money why bother. They told the world that was the floor. They gab to the media too much and brought this on themselves.

13.125 per. Gurley is at 14.375 per. They are the two top contracts for RBs in the league currently, I believe.

I don't agree with you last statement. They said that they new that's where the discussion starts, they never said that that was what they were willing to pay. If this is what you want to see Zeke get paid, I think you better get comfortable with the idea of Zeke staying home. He won't get that money next year either and if he sits, maybe not the year after that but hey, if you think it's smarter for him to sit home and make nothing or renegotiate his contract to turn his 3 mil season into something in the area of 13 to 14, hey, I get it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oh c'mon, the market reset at Bell's deal which is lower that Gurley's. Exactly when has that ever happened before. Jones is just gonna have to suck it up and deal with the reality that at some point he's paying out more than Gurley's deal. Hopefully we're not completely eliminated from the playoffs first!

LOL... OK, tell me how that works out for you. I actually hope that we do miss the playoff if they all sit. Better draft pick with which to replace one of them with.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
13.125 per. Gurley is at 14.375 per. They are the two top contracts for RBs in the league currently, I believe.

I don't agree with you last statement. They said that they new that's where the discussion starts, they never said that that was what they were willing to pay. If this is what you want to see Zeke get paid, I think you better get comfortable with the idea of Zeke staying home. He won't get that money next year either and if he sits, maybe not the year after that but hey, if you think it's smarter for him to sit home and make nothing or renegotiate his contract to turn his 3 mil season into something in the area of 13 to 14, hey, I get it.
Personally I don't care what they get paid. I'm not cutting the checks. Somebody needs to convince JJ and son to chew their gums instead of popping off to the media about numbers and who gets what. I don't see anyway where that has worked to their benefit.

The only thing I don't like about this is we may not put the best team we can out there. Both sides will be wrong if that happens. They might just be right too. We'll see.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every generation is different. The Millennials are uniquely different than my Generation X. They are a generation that doesn't respect authority, age, or status as their predecessors did. They expect those in charge to earn their respect rather than recognize titles.

This posses problems in careers that are built upon those traditional hierarchies as you may find in the military, police, and organized sports.

A millennial believes they are entitled to certain privileges and opportunities upon being hired. Hence the super star athletes who have been catered to their entire lives (21-27 years) believe they to are entitled hito thee highest salaries and statue.

EzE is a prime example of said entitlement. He agreed to his contact, yet his millennial ego is so fragile, he's demanding a contract compatible to the highest of stature....the team's QB.

The Millennials have done their best to damage the image of the NFL from the outside, and now they have began their campaign from within. They don't care about the team, but they are only "Out For Self."

The days of reconstruction of a player's contract for the betterment of the team is dead. Think about it, no millennial has done that as of late.....

I agree with this to a point, but is Zeke really asking to be paid like a QB, or just to be the highest paid RB, which would still be a long way below the QB?

And while it's true that Zeke agreed to his contract, we also have to remember that it was not an open negotiation. The NFL puts restrictions on what a player can be paid, and pre determines the length of rookie contracts. I don't say this to argue that Zeke is right to not be in camp, but just to be clear that certain aspects of his current contract were forced upon him and the only alternative to not agreeing was to choose not to play in the NFL.

Last edited:

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree to this to a point, but is Zeke really asking to be paid like a QB, or just to be the highest paid RB, which would still be a long way below the QB?

And while it's true that Zeke agreed to his contract, we also have to remember that it was not an open negotiation. The NFL puts restrictions on what a player can be paid, and pre determines the length of rookie contracts. I don't say this to argue that Zeke is right to not be in camp, but just to be clear that certain aspects of his current contract were forced upon him and the only alternative to not agreeing was to choose not to play in the NFL.
The vets that voted on and agreed to the CBA are just as responsible as the owners for the rookie wage scale. Just to be clear on that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The vets that voted on and agreed to the CBA are just as responsible as the owners for the rookie wage scale. Just to be clear on that.

Absolutely true. The veterans want to make sure there is money for the proven players who have been toiling in the league for years rather than too much going to the rookies who haven't yet proven themselves.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Absolutely true. The veterans want to make sure there is money for the proven players who have been toiling in the league for years rather than too much going to the rookies who haven't yet proven themselves.
Yeah I read your post again after I posted and realized you used NFL to encapsulate all of them. I'm used to seeing "the NFL" as meaning the league offices and Goodell.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
The players today don't even want hard practices. You going to tell these guys

"no more generational wealth contracts now you can fight over this 50 mill. remember there's 63 of you so make sure you split it evenly. oh yeah uh I guess the PS guys can take a little less. just make sure you give them something"

Meanwhile the owner is still making billions.

Yeah, there's no football after that.
Lol, some guys would be happy for a mill a year. The quality may not be as good, for sure.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Personally I don't care what they get paid. I'm not cutting the checks. Somebody needs to convince JJ and son to chew their gums instead of popping off to the media about numbers and who gets what. I don't see anyway where that has worked to their benefit.

The only thing I don't like about this is we may not put the best team we can out there. Both sides will be wrong if that happens. They might just be right too. We'll see.

I agree with this post. I mean, I do believe that negotiations are best done behind closed doors but then again, I also believe that Zeke should keep his hands off of Women and act like he's had a beer or two, before, in public. I think that both sides could use a little better discretion but that's just my opinion.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Lol, some guys would be happy for a mill a year. The quality may not be as good, for sure.
There's fans that would still ask players to take pay cuts.
AIl Iknow is theyll give Goodell another raise to deal with the backlash that would bring.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I read your post again after I posted and realized you used NFL to encapsulate all of them. I'm used to seeing "the NFL" as meaning the league offices and Goodell.

It's all cool. I understand why your initial thought was what it was. But I appreciated how you approached it - by saying "just to be clear". I think it was a fair point that was worth clarifying.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

In fact, this is 100% on the players. This has nothing, at all, to do with the owners. The owners and the NFLPA negotiated the percentage of the profits that would be paid to players. The players determined what would be paid to rookies. That was not ownership and I honestly can't say that they have done a bad job. I mean, yeah you will occasionally get a Rookie who outplays his contract but the overwhelming majority of them severely under preform. I mean, the rookie wage scale actually protects them, much more then it hurts them, on the whole. It really is set up to help the younger guys, either be protected till they have time to adjust and develop, boost contracts for the top tier guys, help players see FA or second contracts much sooner and even in cases where you have first round guys on 5th year options, they set up that 5th round option to be very lucrative. I mean, lets be honest here, Zeke got paid way better then the overwhelming majority of RBs in the NFL when he first came into the league. The problem that he has is that the 5th year option, which is based on the top salaries of his position are not paid like WRs or QBs. I mean, that's the real problem here. This is not a Jerry thing or even a team thing IMO. This is just where Football is at IMO. Yeah, the Vets voted to keep most of the money rather then paying out to Rookies who may or (more likely) may not be impact players in the NFL. When Zeke is no longer on his rookie deal and he gets a vote on this, guess what, he's going to vote for the players rather then the rookies too. I actually think that's the way it should be but that's just my opinion.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree with this post. I mean, I do believe that negotiations are best done behind closed doors but then again, I also believe that Zeke should keep his hands off of Women and act like he's had a beer or two, before, in public. I think that both sides could use a little better discretion but that's just my opinion.
I won't get into his suspension so much information came out that made both of them look flat out bad. Pulling the top was dumb as ****. This security guard thing could've been avoided and should be the final wake-up call. I got no problem with the team wanting to add a few things to the contract you know built in protections and what not. Should be in all of them if they're not already.

Acknowledging a starting point for negotiations publicly just invites the other side to accept that as your lowest bid. It's how their going to see it and it's a point to press until the ink dries.

I would love to see JJ and son pull a Marshawn Lynch. "I'm just here so I won't get fined"

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Seriously, all generations hate the previous generations while the older generations hate the newer. Just how it is.

I don’t blame Zeke one but for holding out. It’s all about money.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reminder .. Political comments and discussions are not allowed on this site!

Warnings are being given out already ..

Status
Not open for further replies.