Mazi Smith NT Michigan

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd love for us to draft Mazi Smith, either with our pick in round 1, or if we trade down a few picks. We have been needing a monster NT for a very long time. This is a player who can shut down the run and apply pressure up the middle to the point where the QB isn't going to be able to step up in the pocket, and the QB would have to roll to one side or the other right into the arms of our outside pass rushers.

For those that don't know, Mazi Smith is a player who is 6'3" and 323 lbs per: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Mazi-Smith-DL-Michigan

So, he's got very good size.

Here's his Combine listing: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mazi-smith/3200534d-4951-1850-a3da-289c89c7e5d4

Finally, here's a YouTube video that I found:

As you can see, he's a very strong player who can shut down the run up the middle, and he's very good at pressuring. He's not going to get a lot of sacks, but that's not his role as a NT. His role is to clog the middle and, in the passing attack, keep the QB from stepping up. From what I've seen, he does that and more with his ability to force the guard or C out of the way.

Bottomline: We need a monster NT. Mazi Smith gives us that. I think taking him would give us the ability to shut down the run, and, by virtue of being a NT, even more firepower in shutting down the passing game.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
5 TFLs and 0.5 sacks in 2 years starting is a tough pill for me to swallow.

Some other NT's final two seasons, for comparison:

Keeanu Benton: 15 TFLs, 6 sacks
Vita Vea: 12 TFLs, 8.5 sacks
Derrick Brown: 22 TFLs, 8 sacks
Jordan Davis: 6 TFLs, 3 sacks (and I think he played like a third of Georgia's snaps).

NT production is usually low, but Mazi's is outlier low.

You couple that with very average Pro Day testing, and what's the sales pitch? Middle of the road, shockingly non-productive athlete that got bulldozed by TCU?

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

Jordan Davis: 6 TFLs, 3 sacks (and I think he played like a third of Georgia's snaps).

You couple that with very average Pro Day testing, and what's the sales pitch? Middle of the road, shockingly non-productive athlete that got bulldozed by TCU?
Keeanu Benton is the one to get if you want a NT. He’s a good player and might still be available at Dallas’ 2nd round pick.

He’s strong as hell.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i like the player.
but.
i don't like our history with michigan dlinemen in rd1...
kevin brooks.
taco.
in the 2nd...sure.
but i don't wanna mess with that michigan dline rd1 voo-doo.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I like Benton but the kid from Costal Carolina intrigues me. I think he is a former TE and still can move like one at 6'4" 347lbs. He had 10 sacks in his career I believe also so he can get to the QB. I think we can get him in the 4th or 5th round. Also Courbon from Texas intrigues be also. Granted I have never seen these guys play but they are mid round prospects I would consider.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Don’t want to use the 26 pick on a 2 down player. Every year TV experts go crazy about players like Smith and for the most part they don’t justify the draft position.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Everyone’s highlight video looks good. Watch the vs. games where you see every snap against an opponent.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not with this front office will we see a 1st rd NT who offers zero pass rush. I loved McNeil/Travis Jones back to back years and they fell to the third rd. Many thought each had some rush potential and were better prospects at the same stage than Mazi. What I think happens with many, since we haven't had a true NT in years, probably since the Parcells days, they desperately just want to fill the need and don't care if they reach to do so. The same thing can be said about the Safety position with this team.

Last season, I would argue the run defense had more issues with outside runs than inside. Hankins certainly made a significant difference, but also moving Parsons off the ball played a role as well. Hankins was a low cost trade and he didn't even start with his former team. I expect Hankins to return and they will draft another one, probably in day 3 again. We have Quinn here to develop and hopefully we will start to see Bohanna take the next step as well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I like Benton but the kid from Costal Carolina intrigues me. I think he is a former TE and still can move like one at 6'4" 347lbs. He had 10 sacks in his career I believe also so he can get to the QB. I think we can get him in the 4th or 5th round. Also Courbon from Texas intrigues be also. Granted I have never seen these guys play but they are mid round prospects I would consider.
I know they have shown interest with Colburn, he is more the type this team would consider drafting on day 3.

ghst187

Reaction score
Hard, hard pass.

He’s a 2 down run plugger. Yes he’s athletic - but it’s led to zero pass rush production in college.

Way too much risk in round 1.
100% agree.
I think we are all in general agreement that we need a run plugging DT but not in agreement about who it should be.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He's not that good. Go watch a whole game instead of highlights.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I can see that. The other NTs that I'd be after are Siaki Ika (write up coming soon on him) and Benton. If we can't go NT early, I'd go for Broderic Martin or Jerrod Clark in round 5. They're both solid.