Mazi Smith slow off the snap

conner01

Reaction score
Gosh what can they do to speed that up. There’s some power and good stuff to work with there.

If he were at a red light and it turned green someone would honk at him from behind that’s how slow he is lol
Noticed than from college. Seems like a teachable thing to me but certainly effects his effectiveness

Kwyn

Reaction score
I would imagine he's been working on that get off for the past 3 years. Does anyone think the coaches at Michigan didn't see the same thing on tape. I have a cousin that's incurably stupid. You can bring in the miracle worker, he's still gonna be stupid. Sometimes you are what you are and the ceiling just isn't that high.

An how do we know he's not a knucklehead? This IS the same dude that was driving at an estimated 50mph in a residential neighborhood (25mph posted) while illegally carrying a Glock 19 handgun. Oh that's right, he was in the PROCESS of getting his concealed carry permit.
He did graduate in three years. That doesn’t happen a lot with NFL players.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Noticed than from college. Seems like a teachable thing to me but certainly effects his effectiveness
Yea it does seem like its on purpose and part of his game. Its like he sits there and reads the play then if its a pass, he has a delayed blitz. I'm used to the line fire off the ball. He might not be comfortable with the scheme yet, hopefully it improves.

Kwyn

Reaction score
He was first team all Big Ten in his last season at Michigan.

Is that because his play was horrible or you just didn’t watch and/or don’t know what you were watching.
I’ve never seen so many Big Ten experts as here at the zone. Just in this thread alone, there are people purporting to be experts on the conference and Michigan in particular.

I think it’s mostly echo chamber, like a lot of things around here.

chagus

Reaction score
I hope Dallas found a gem with DT Carl Davis because Mazi is pretty slow off the snap. That's just a fact. Dallas knows it and hopefully can patch up the leak because it WILL BE A PROBLEM going forward.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
After re-watching the Eagles game I have some thoughts on Mazi. He got some extra snaps after Hankins went down. First and foremost is Mazi's get off. Every play he was in he was at least a half second to a full second late getting off after the snap. This is befuddling to me since he plays DT with the second best view of the snap after the C. His late starts put him at a tremendous disadvantage against the OGs and OTs he faces. He has no chance against an NFL OL if they get set and ready for him before he gets off. I think he has the strength to play DT in the NFL already, but unless he fixes that late get off then I don't think he has a chance. I am not an expert on this, but it seems to be that this is not something that can be taught. I think you either have the recognition and reflexes or you don't.

I cannot believe Quinn doesn't see this too. I wonder if they have been trying to work with him on it. If they are and he has not gotten any better at this point, I am pessimistic he can figure it out. But as we said, it is his first year. I want to see a big improvement from him in 2024 or we can begin the bust talk.
I saw the same thing, its like everyone moves, then he moves. is he sleeping? the key for DL men is how quickly they get off the line. if he doesn't improve that, then he is going to be a less than average DT. I am not sure if its anticipation or he is just that slow.

Creeper

Reaction score
I saw the same thing, its like everyone moves, then he moves. is he sleeping? the key for DL men is how quickly they get off the line. if he doesn't improve that, then he is going to be a less than average DT. I am not sure if its anticipation or he is just that slow.
If I think about it and break it down, the DT watches for the snap and as soon as he sees the ball move his brained immediately tells the rest of his body to launch into the play. But Mazi takes an extra fract as if the message from his eyes to his muscles is going by pony express or something. How do you teach his brain to react quicker?

There is another problem he has too. It was worse earlier in the season but he did it again once Sunday night. When he does get off, sometimes he lunges at the offensive linemen. But he winds up on the ground. The is something else to be addressed in project Mazi. It is sad to say but right now, Gallimore looks better than Mazi and I expected Mazi to be at least as good as Gallimore right out of camp.

visionary

Reaction score
I imagine that is a big factor but I also think about the CBA and the lack of padded practices etc. At his age with the minimal play time he gets he really shouldn't be hitting the wall imo.

The rookie wall makes a lot more sense for a RB or LB or a trench player who's playing the majority of snaps.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. Maybe that wall comes into play from the sheer volume of football activities, cardio, gym etc. It's definitely not from contact.
I hope he does well filling in

Reactions: CWR

conner01

Reaction score
Yea it does seem like its on purpose and part of his game. Its like he sits there and reads the play then if its a pass, he has a delayed blitz. I'm used to the line fire off the ball. He might not be comfortable with the scheme yet, hopefully it improves.
It seems like something that’s teachable to me. I think you are right though, I think it’s something he was taught in college because he did it the same there

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree - evaluating him this year is way early as it takes time for DTs to develop.

THAT SAID it sure would be nice to see a flash or two to build confidence off his play. Thus far he has consistently looked out manned out there.
He has had some flashes, just not a lot. A few games back, he got nice pressure on the QB and he has been involved in some run stops at the line of scrimmage. He just does not consistently anticipate the snap count.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
To me Mazi looks like he is thinking too much. Big Mike said in his presser that he's not but the eyes tell me different.
That's the hope, that he's playing with hesitation because he's thinking too hard and will get faster once he's more comfortable in the system. Only a rookie, and one advertised as a project.

For all the whinging about Mazi, PFF has him a little higher than Hankins, who is treated like a savior around here.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
How can you be slow off the snap!!!!
That is ridiculous. He must have EXTREMELY slow reaction time!
If you have played football or watched football, in general defensive lineman move about the same time when the ball is snapped. They watch the ball, when it moves, they move, unless you are Mazi. You wait 1/2 second then you move. You cannot be an effective D lineman if you move 1/2 second after everyone else on the D line.

This is weird! I don’t know if it can be fixed. It should have been fixed in Pee Wee football. Also, if he consistently did it at Michigan we should have seen it.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
If you have played football or watched football, in general defensive lineman move about the same time when the ball is snapped. They watch the ball, when it moves, they move, unless you are Mazi. You wait 1/2 second then you move. You cannot be an effective D lineman if you move 1/2 second after everyone else on the D line.

This is weird! I don’t know if it can be fixed. It should have been fixed in Pee Wee football. Also, if he consistently did it at Michigan we should have seen it.
Maybe he’s accustomed to holding the point of attack and/or winning with his shear strength and athletic ability alone.

Let’s hope the light turns on and he recognizes his tool box could be a lot bigger and much more effective, cuz he’s not the big bully fish in the pond anymore. Gotta coach him up.

I’m glad his teammates aren’t as hard on him as we (me included) are cuz he’ll need support from the guys coming down the stretch.

reddyuta

Reaction score

or stayed away from him completely in the draft,but we used a 1st RD pick on him.