Mazie Smith (All-22) review?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven’t made a final judgment on Mazi but so far he’s off to a slow start. There’s still a long way to go with him and I haven’t given up on him. Larry Allen didn’t start as a rookie because he was a second round pick and we had a great OL that was coming off back to back Super Bowl wins. By game 5 his rookie year he was starting. Aaron Rodgers didn’t start because the Packers had Brett Favre. Tom Brady didn’t start because he was a 6th round pick and the Pats just signed Drew Bledsoe to a $100 million contract. Ken Norton was a second round pick who didn’t start his rookie season because he was injured in training camp. He spent most of the season on IR and didn’t return until December. Darren Woodson was a second round pick and he didn’t start because the Cowboys defense was loaded.

The Cowboys finished number one in total defense his rookie year and won the Super Bowl. Charles Haley was a fourth round pick. He didn’t start because he was a designated pass rusher his rookie year, but he finished second for rookies with 12 sacks. He was voted to the NFL all rookie team. The Cowboys chose Mazi Smith in the first round because he was a need. We’ve struggled against the run for years. He struggled all during training camp and preseason. The fans and media have been critical of his play. He might not have even gotten 17 snaps last week if the Cowboys didn’t have such a huge lead.
Nonsense.

If a player becomes great, then his draft status had no bearing on whether he was ready game 1 of his rookie season.

Mazi played in the 1st quarter. His snaps were not just from playing at the end of the game.

They didn't draft him to play the exact role that Hankins plays. Last season they played a large percentage of snaps with the pairing of Odighi and Gallimore.

That made Gallimore the 1tech on most of those snaps. The snaps like 2nd and 10 that might be pass but might be run. In theory, Gallimore was a better pass rusher than Hankins/Watkins. The problem was Gallimore got blown out vs the run.

They want Mazi to become a player that can play those snaps as well as play obvious run situations (1st downs, etc..). Not a 3rd and long player, but those in-between situations.

I said pre-draft that a team might want to have him stay down around 320 and play as a pass rushing 1tech instead of him playing at 340 as a run downs only player. He was 323 at the combine but played closer to 340 in college.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Nonsense.

If a player becomes great, then his draft status had no bearing on whether he was ready game 1 of his rookie season.

Mazi played in the 1st quarter. His snaps were not just from playing at the end of the game.

They didn't draft him to play the exact role that Hankins plays. Last season they played a large percentage of snaps with the pairing of Odighi and Gallimore.

That made Gallimore the 1tech on most of those snaps. The snaps like 2nd and 10 that might be pass but might be run. In theory, Gallimore was a better pass rusher than Hankins/Watkins. The problem was Gallimore got blown out vs the run.

They want Mazi to become a player that can play those snaps as well as play obvious run situations (1st downs, etc..). Not a 3rd and long player, but those in-between situations.

I said pre-draft that a team might want to have him stay down around 320 and play as a pass rushing 1tech instead of him playing at 340 as a run downs only player. He was 323 at the combine but played closer to 340 in college.
Good take.

I imagine they felt safe giving Mazi some snaps in that game.

We had a huge lead.

I hope he works out. He needs a lot of work.

But we burned a 1st on a player that was basically outplayed by Bohanna.

Nothing against Bohanna, who’s now a Lion.

conner01

Reaction score
I won't get up or down by some review from that game for him. Especially on 17 snaps.
Let's give him some more games and depending the situation and circumstances.

Need a much bigger body (no pun intended) of work and against different teams and their style of offense.
I thought he looked good in the snaps she did get. I seen him pushing the pocket and moving the center. As time goes on he will get more snaps I think and learn as he goes

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Nonsense.

My comments are based mostly on the Cowboys first round draft picks the past couple of decades. The ones that became real good players for us got off to good starts as rookies in training camp and preseason. We’re wasting time continuing to argue it. We’ll see how his career plays out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rookie DTs rarely make much of an impact. Apparently it is a difficult position that takes playing time to learn to play well. The Eagles drafted Davis because they were terrible against the run. He was active for 15 games last season and played less than a third of the snaps in those games. Mazi will be fine. I doubt Davis will ever be elite, but he’s going to get his chance in year two. Cox looks like he’s on fumes.
100% agreed.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Rookie DTs rarely make much of an impact. Apparently it is a difficult position that takes playing time to learn to play well. The Eagles drafted Davis because they were terrible against the run. He was active for 15 games last season and played less than a third of the snaps in those games. Mazi will be fine. I doubt Davis will ever be elite, but he’s going to get his chance in year two. Cox looks like he’s on fumes.
Philly fans will give him a chance. Dallas fans demand mazi be great immediately. Philly fans may be classless but as far as football knowledge everyone beats dallas fans.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

We had a huge lead.
That’s never a good sign when a team feels safe about giving their first round pick some snaps in a game where they have a huge lead. Lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mazi and our run defense should be put to the test this Sunday against Dalvin Cook and Hall. It will be interesting to see how many snaps Mazi gets. The Jets are going to try and pound us all day on the ground to keep Zach Wilson upright. They want to keep number 11 and crew away from him.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Nonsense.

Stop making sense

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Good take.

We had a huge lead.

I hope he works out. He needs a lot of work.

But we burned a 1st on a player that was basically outplayed by Bohanna.

Nothing against Bohanna, who’s now a Lion.
Mazi is going to get snaps in every game… probably roughly equal to Hankins snaps.