McCarthy could accomplish this year what only one Cowboys HC has ever done

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As Big Mac starts year 5 as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, he has a chance to do something even Jimmy Johnson never accomplished. In fact, only Tom Landry has ever done it.

What is it?
  • Make the playoffs in four straight seasons. No HC in Big D since Tom Landry has ever accomplished that. In Jimmy’s 5 years here, the Cowboys made the playoffs 3 times. They were 1991-93. Barry Switzer’s 1994-96 teams did too. The last time a Cowboys head coach had a better streak was Landry’s teams from 1975-83 - 9 straight seasons.
The question is, can this team do it? By January of 2025, we should know. Since the days of Barry Switzer - the 1995 season to be exact - the Cowboys have not won more than one playoff game in a season. I won’t belabor that frustrating 28 year stat.

But if Big Mac and the Cowboys can make the playoffs again in 2024, he will have surpassed what Jimmy and Barry did regarding making the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Most importantly, maybe he can win at least two playoff games in a season! Lord knows we are overdue. It’s a long season ahead. Here’s hoping the Cowboys and Big Mac make it to the playoffs and make some noise for a change.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here is the thing with MM. In the NFL now with all the FA players moving. He as all coaches need to do it with a larger change over in the roster.
Which are caused by RECORD setting deals!!! I dont' even know why they call them "richest contract in history" only for them to be broken in a few weeks!

rambo2

Reaction score
As Big Mac starts year 5 as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, he has a chance to do something even Jimmy Johnson never accomplished. In fact, only Tom Landry has ever done it.

What is it?
  • Make the playoffs in four straight seasons. No HC in Big D since Tom Landry has ever accomplished that. In Jimmy’s 5 years here, the Cowboys made the playoffs 3 times. They were 1991-93. Barry Switzer’s 1994-96 teams did too. The last time a Cowboys head coach had a better streak was Landry’s teams from 1975-83 - 9 straight seasons.
The question is, can this team do it? By January of 2025, we should know. Since the days of Barry Switzer - the 1995 season to be exact - the Cowboys have not won more than one playoff game in a season. I won’t belabor that frustrating 28 year stat.

But if Big Mac and the Cowboys can make the playoffs again in 2024, he will have surpassed what Jimmy and Barry did regarding making the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Most importantly, maybe he can win at least two playoff games in a season! Lord knows we are overdue. It’s a long season ahead. Here’s hoping the Cowboys and Big Mac make it to the playoffs and make some noise for a change.
He could also win his 2nd Super Bowl with 2 different teams.

cowboyec

Reaction score
mike mccarthy has done a helluva good job since he's been here.
considering the f/o dynamic...he has put some really good teams together.
the fails in the playoffs do not fall squarely on him.
the coaches around here change...but you see many of the same players coming up short in the post-sesson.
they need to take their share in it.
but 3 straight 12 win sessons...winning the division multiple times...being in the post season 3 straight years is nothing to sneeze at.
it didn't happen that way under the previous regime.
we are a good team under mccarthy.
we are a better team under mccarthy.
hopefully he is allowed to stick around.
i think he can get this team over that hurdle.
glad he is our coach.
hope we keep him.

75boyz

Reaction score
If only we could get further in the playoffs Bob, I dream about it everyday
Yeah,
the one and done playoff losses, and specifically "how" they continue to lose in the playoffs under McFraud, is just more GroundHog Day results.

fivetwos

Reaction score
mike mccarthy has done a helluva good job since he's been here.
considering the f/o dynamic...he has put some really good teams together.
the fails in the playoffs do not fall squarely on him.
the coaches around here change...but you see many of the same players coming up short in the post-sesson.
they need to take their share in it.
but 3 straight 12 win sessons...winning the division multiple times...being in the post season 3 straight years is nothing to sneeze at.
it didn't happen that way under the previous regime.
we are a good team under mccarthy.
we are a better team under mccarthy.
hopefully he is allowed to stick around.
i think he can get this team over that hurdle.
glad he is our coach.
hope we keep him.
Considering what he has to deal with, I fully agree that MM has done well.

Unfortunately it’s not good enough to win in the playoffs in todays NFL. He has been outcoached by Shanahan twice and LaFleur once. They are younger and more innovative minds….of course they don’t have to deal with an undermining owner trying to act like the head coach in order to be a celebrity.

MM is good. Waaaaay better than Garrett anyway. Now tell me who is holding back this franchise. The blind squirrel thing ain’t happening here.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

What is it?

:yourock::yourock:Can’t wait for week 1!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Screenshot-20240326-042053-Gallery-picsay.jpg