McCarthy could accomplish this year what only one Cowboys HC has ever done

plymkr

Reaction score
As Big Mac starts year 5 as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, he has a chance to do something even Jimmy Johnson never accomplished. In fact, only Tom Landry has ever done it.

What is it?
  • Make the playoffs in four straight seasons. No HC in Big D since Tom Landry has ever accomplished that. In Jimmy’s 5 years here, the Cowboys made the playoffs 3 times. They were 1991-93. Barry Switzer’s 1994-96 teams did too. The last time a Cowboys head coach had a better streak was Landry’s teams from 1975-83 - 9 straight seasons.
The question is, can this team do it? By January of 2025, we should know. Since the days of Barry Switzer - the 1995 season to be exact - the Cowboys have not won more than one playoff game in a season. I won’t belabor that frustrating 28 year stat.

But if Big Mac and the Cowboys can make the playoffs again in 2024, he will have surpassed what Jimmy and Barry did regarding making the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Most importantly, maybe he can win at least two playoff games in a season! Lord knows we are overdue. It’s a long season ahead. Here’s hoping the Cowboys and Big Mac make it to the playoffs and make some noise for a change.
I thought you were going to say McCarthy will be the first Cowboys coach to wipe out a food court. But this is much better. We should make the playoffs unless something horribly goes wrong with injuries. But I was encouraged with how our trenches look. We ran the ball yesterday and we didn’t get gashed with their running game. Our young DBs looked good and we know Diggs and Bland are going to show up.

Barring injury or a complete mental breakdown Ala the Eagles last season we should make the playoffs. Then Big Mike can have some bragging rights.

plasticman

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is one of those rare HC's that doesn't let his ego become an issue. While everyone around the organization is receiving credit for any success, his name is typically only mentioned when there is criticism.

McClay and the scouting department, the coordinators like Moore, Quinn and Zimmer and even Jerry Jones take their turns being credited for improving the team while McCarthy just goes about his business doing his job.

During McCarthy's time here, many raw inexperienced players have been developed into real contributors. Some have received lucrative contracts from other teams. I remember so many players that were strongly criticized like Dalton Schultz, Dorance Armstrong, Tyler Biadasz, and Cooper Rush.

I think McCarthy is a very good teacher. Despite the issues with game management, he seems to be a very good manager when it comes to both players and coaches.

I believe that McCarthy has more influence during the draft than many might think. I noticed that his Green Bay teams had a similar advantage to his Cowboy teams. There were many midround players during McCarthy's time who later became Pro Bowlers, particularly OT's. During his time, three OT's, all drafted in the 4th round, were multiple Pro Bowlers.

If the Cowboys were to win a Super Bowl, then McCarthy is one of the guys I would be happiest for, along with Dak, Zack Martin, and D-Law. He would be the only HC in NFL history to win a SB with two different teams. Many HC's have placed two different teams in a Super Bowl, but none have won with two different teams. Then, people would be talking about McCarthy. Presently, he may be one of the most underrated coaches in the league today.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
As Big Mac starts year 5 as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, he has a chance to do something even Jimmy Johnson never accomplished. In fact, only Tom Landry has ever done it.

What is it?
  • Make the playoffs in four straight seasons. No HC in Big D since Tom Landry has ever accomplished that. In Jimmy’s 5 years here, the Cowboys made the playoffs 3 times. They were 1991-93. Barry Switzer’s 1994-96 teams did too. The last time a Cowboys head coach had a better streak was Landry’s teams from 1975-83 - 9 straight seasons.
The question is, can this team do it? By January of 2025, we should know. Since the days of Barry Switzer - the 1995 season to be exact - the Cowboys have not won more than one playoff game in a season. I won’t belabor that frustrating 28 year stat.

But if Big Mac and the Cowboys can make the playoffs again in 2024, he will have surpassed what Jimmy and Barry did regarding making the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Most importantly, maybe he can win at least two playoff games in a season! Lord knows we are overdue. It’s a long season ahead. Here’s hoping the Cowboys and Big Mac make it to the playoffs and make some noise for a change.
Agree. Something about MM makes me think he is the best HC we've had since Jimmy.
Jmo, but I hope he makes the playoffs, wins some playoff games and Jerruh has to pay him, and pay him well.
I admit it, I simply like MM and want him to stay around awhile.

Last edited:

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Considering what he has to deal with, I fully agree that MM has done well.

Unfortunately it’s not good enough to win in the playoffs in todays NFL. He has been outcoached by Shanahan twice and LaFleur once. They are younger and more innovative minds….of course they don’t have to deal with an undermining owner trying to act like the head coach in order to be a celebrity.

MM is good. Waaaaay better than Garrett anyway. Now tell me who is holding back this franchise. The blind squirrel thing ain’t happening here.
Jerruh is holding back the franchise.
MM has done well to win 12 per season despite jerruh's interference.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is one of those rare HC's that doesn't let his ego become an issue. While everyone around the organization is receiving credit for any success, his name is typically only mentioned when there is criticism.

McClay and the scouting department, the coordinators like Moore, Quinn and Zimmer and even Jerry Jones take their turns being credited for improving the team while McCarthy just goes about his business doing his job.

During McCarthy's time here, many raw inexperienced players have been developed into real contributors. Some have received lucrative contracts from other teams. I remember so many players that were strongly criticized like Dalton Schultz, Dorance Armstrong, Tyler Biadasz, and Cooper Rush.

I think McCarthy is a very good teacher. Despite the issues with game management, he seems to be a very good manager when it comes to both players and coaches.

I believe that McCarthy has more influence during the draft than many might think. I noticed that his Green Bay teams had a similar advantage to his Cowboy teams. There were many midround players during McCarthy's time who later became Pro Bowlers, particularly OT's. During his time, three OT's, all drafted in the 4th round, were multiple Pro Bowlers.

If the Cowboys were to win a Super Bowl, then McCarthy is one of the guys I would be happiest for, along with Dak, Zack Martin, and D-Law. He would be the only HC in NFL history to win a SB with two different teams. Many HC's have placed two different teams in a Super Bowl, but none have won with two different teams. Then, people would be talking about McCarthy. Presently, he may be one of the most underrated coaches in the league today.
Amen!!! So well said @plasticman !

This is exactly how I feel brother. I personally am glad Coach Mike McCarthy is here in Dallas, and he definitely is so good for the organization, ownership, scouts, coaches and especially the players. You can tell these players absolutely love and respect Mike McCarthy. More people need to take a step back, look at the whole picture and appreciate this man.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
That’s why I’m hesitant saying championship game or bust for him. I believe the context of how we lose matters. If we make the divisional round after winning 11-12 games again and lose a close game - I’d be careful just throwing him away.

This team in the modern era has not been a perennial, consistent playoff team, that’s hard to do in the nfl.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Considering what he has to deal with, I fully agree that MM has done well.

Unfortunately it’s not good enough to win in the playoffs in todays NFL. He has been outcoached by Shanahan twice and LaFleur once. They are younger and more innovative minds….of course they don’t have to deal with an undermining owner trying to act like the head coach in order to be a celebrity.

MM is good. Waaaaay better than Garrett anyway. Now tell me who is holding back this franchise. The blind squirrel thing ain’t happening here.
our star players coming up short in the play-offs...again and again...would be a good place to start.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. Something about MM makes me think he is the best HC we've had since Jimmy.
Jmo, but I hope he makes the playoffs, wins some playoff games and Jerruh has to pay him, and pay him well.
I admit it, I simply like MM and want him to stay around awhile.
I like McCarthy way more than Garrett obviously. No comparison. The three straight 12 win seasons are nothing to take lightly. Garrett never made the playoffs even two years in a row, much less three. I think Mac is also better at developing players IMO.

But Big Mac has his problems too. The rash of stupid penalties - like lining up off sides and undisciplined hitting people out of bounds seems to carry over year to year unchanged. Clock management and occasional abandonment of the run have also been a problem. And not seemingly being prepared for the biggest of games have haunted us.

All that said, McCarthy has done a good job considering all Cowboys HCs are undermined on a weekly basis by the owner and his giggling son. For this reason I think it’s hard to believe there are many strong head coaches who would be willing to come here and try to work around the circus (One of many reasons I don’t think Bill Belechick will ever be here) McCarthy might be the best we can do.

Flamma

Reaction score
I like McCarthy way more than Garrett obviously. No comparison. The three straight 12 win seasons are nothing to take lightly. Garrett never made the playoffs even two years in a row, much less three. I think Mac is also better at developing players IMO.

But Big Mac has his problems too. The rash of stupid penalties - like lining up off sides and undisciplined hitting people out of bounds seems to carry over year to year unchanged. Clock management and occasional abandonment of the run have also been a problem. And not seemingly being prepared for the biggest of games have haunted us.

All that said, McCarthy has done a good job considering all Cowboys HCs are undermined on a weekly basis by the owner and his giggling son. For this reason I think it’s hard to believe there are many strong head coaches who would be willing to come here and try to work around the circus (One of many reasons I don’t think Bill Belechick will ever be here) McCarthy might be the best we can do.
How much of it is talent, and how much of it is McCarthy? Maybe he's just been around long enough to know how to steer the ship, but not much else. We'll eventually find out.

Flamma

Reaction score
He could also win his 2nd Super Bowl with 2 different teams.
That's what worries me. There have been plenty of coaches that got to super bowls with multiple teams, but none have won with two different teams.

Mannix

Reaction score
Can we please not call this lazy doofus "Big Mac"....lets save the endearing monikers for those who have earned them.

Mark

Reaction score
It remains to be seen whether this team is good enough to even be in any playoff conversation this season. I'm highly skeptical of the rather arrogant philosophy that an NFL team can basically have its starters take the preseason off, only to suddenly turn up ready to perform at 100% on opening day. (Brock Purdy was out there slinging it around on the field tonight in SF...no doubt he'll be ready.)

The Cowboys' playoff forays the past couple of years have been torpedoed by a breakdown in the same leadership coalition that brought regular-season success. Namely: (1) Coaching miscues; and (2) the nervous collapse of the team's starting QB. The former, we've come to expect - even during the regular season. As for the latter, it seems Dak is not so much in need of a skill upgrade as he is of a world-class sports psychologist...to permanently exorcise the demons which manifest themselves in the form of that faraway "deer-in-the-headlights" stare we've come to dread in January.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Most likely he'll be the first coach to have back to back to back 12 win seasons and get canned mid season the following year.