McCarthy: Ryan Flournoy 'gets better with every opportunity' as Cowboys WRs battle for roster spots

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really good article about the Cowboys 6th round pick.

McCarthy: Ryan Flournoy 'gets better with every opportunity' as Cowboys WRs battle for roster spots
todd brock
Tue, Aug 20, 2024

a956fcbdcd6410bcf5e8718b56523c14

"He's a young man that gets better with every opportunity," McCarthy said of Flournoy, who earned the nickname "Super" while in college. "Obviously, he had the injury and missed some time; I just love the way he bounced back. You can see the confidence from Week 1 to Week 2; he took a huge step. I love his physicality: run blocking and finish was exceptional, but obviously he had the big play there. He has shown the ability to do some nice things on special teams. I thought he had a good night out there in Vegas."

More: https://sports.yahoo.com/mccarthy-ryan-flournoy-gets-better-200308033.html

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he is the 6th WR.
He shown some flashes, but also had some drops. That can improve.

Does he have any return abilities on KO's or PR's? We need a good back up behind Turpin. Yes Deuce is there for that as well.

starfan1

Reaction score

Does he have any return abilities on KO's or PR's? We need a good back up behind Turpin. Yes Deuce is there for that as well.
Lamb
cooks
Tolbert
Turpin
Brooks
Flourney

Id agree I wonder how many they keep on the 53 I thought they carried 6 last year. 6 more days will be interesting

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Kinda torn with him. He looks good at times and then there are drops here and there too. Developmental is what they'd call it.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Lamb
cooks
Tolbert
Turpin
Brooks
Flourney

Id agree I wonder how many they keep on the 53 I thought they carried 6 last year. 6 more days will be interesting
that is a a very average WR group,when you have so many questions about your 3rd WR then you know its not very good.We should be throwing more to our TEs .

MarcusRock

Reaction score
that is a a very average WR group,when you have so many questions about your 3rd WR then you know its not very good.We should be throwing more to our TEs .
Was going to say somewhat of the same thing. One of Turpin, Brooks, or Flourney is going to have to be a surprise contributor for me to feel good about them as a group because as a defense I'd be scheming to take CeeDee out of it and make the others beat me all day.

rambo2

Reaction score

I think he is the 5th receiver. Brooks is 6th. At least 2 more will be on practice squad. Both of Flournoy and Brooks can possibly be gunners on the punt team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it is a very good group. They are deep all the way to the 8 spot.
I think they will surprise many fans. Well, some will never be happy. But they will be a pleasant surprise.
We seen how they have flashed in PS games. And with Trey at QB as he learns.

With a seasoned veteran with Dak and a game plan they will look pretty good. With and improved OL and better pass protection. Year 2 in MM's somewhat different playbook and play calling form Moore / Garrett system. I do not see Dak having a drop off in production.

Last year it was 30% change, wonder if they changed even more this season.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Lamb
cooks
Tolbert
Turpin
Brooks
Flourney

I think those are the six. Tolbert and Turpin aren't physical so you need Brooks and Flournoy for special teams and general toughness.

Mikexike

Reaction score

todd brock
Tue, Aug 20, 2024

"He's a young man that gets better with every opportunity," McCarthy said of Flournoy, who earned the nickname "Super" while in college. "Obviously, he had the injury and missed some time; I just love the way he bounced back. You can see the confidence from Week 1 to Week 2; he took a huge step. I love his physicality: run blocking and finish was exceptional, but obviously he had the big play there. He has shown the ability to do some nice things on special teams. I thought he had a good night out there in Vegas."

More: https://sports.yahoo.com/mccarthy-ryan-flournoy-gets-better-200308033.html
He's making the team over the small guys.

75boyz

Reaction score
I like his size and speed combo.
Between him and Harmon for the WR6 spot imo.
I like Lamb, Cooks, Tolbert, Brooks and Turpin as the first 5.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Lamb
cooks
Tolbert
Turpin
Brooks
Flourney

No problem with this list.

Big focus on the group in general has been receiver 4 thru 6. In reality, if you want to make this room better the change would be at #2. Next offseason get Lamb an upgrade as a running mate. Not a hardcore dig @ Cooks. Just don't believe a lot of opportunities will be available for receivers 3-6.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

todd brock
Tue, Aug 20, 2024

He seems to be able to create some separation with his route-running. Got to work on his hands, though.

rambo2

Reaction score
I think they will surprise many fans. Well, some will never be happy. But they will be a pleasant surprise.
We seen how they have flashed in PS games. And with Trey at QB as he learns.

With a seasoned veteran with Dak and a game plan they will look pretty good. With and improved OL and better pass protection. Year 2 in MM's somewhat different playbook and play calling form Moore / Garrett system. I do not see Dak having a drop off in production.

Last year it was 30% change, wonder if they changed even more this season.
The Cowboys are improved with the subtraction of Gallup and getting Tolbert and company more targets. All of the Cowboy receivers can play including whoever is the 7 and 8 on the practice squad. It wouldn't surprise me if one of our cuts gets claimed by another team and the remaining 7 and 8 on the practice squad can still play if needed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
i disagree i'd like to know how good or great is everyone else's 3/4 WR on all 32 teams? I say Turpin/Tolbert combo is damn solid and are going to surprise a lot of doubters. i mean how many targets is our #3 going to get anyway?