McCarthy Simplified the Defense

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reporter: "Coach McCarthy, there are anonymous players saying you need to simplify the Defense".

McCarthy: "Right, I just cut those three guys. It was simple".

The only silver lining in a trainwreck season is player development. Guys like Diggs, Biadasz, Gallimore, McGovern and Schultz will be way ahead next year because they where thrown into the fire this year. Some won't be starters but all will improve more than just the "light going on" like we saw with Trysten Hill this year (and Schultz to a degree).

With Poe, Worley and Griffen gone there will be more reps for guys like Gallimore, Anae, Randy Gregory, and Reggie Robinson (maybe CJ Goodwin in the dime also). Maybe this is the fish or cut bait with Jourdan Lewis where they give him a lot of reps. They will probably poach a DT from someone else's practice squad because we were already light at the position.

The moves today could end up being addition by subtraction in the long run, especially if they were malcontents.
It certainly looks coincidental. :muttley:

CWR

Reaction score
Well, he didn't say it out loud... exactly... but he was thinking it!

I just made that quote up, I have no idea what the backstory is on these cuts but I think there is clearly more than just on the field issues involved.

Only a moron(me) would think it was an actual quote. It would be awesome though lol.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Only a moron(me) would think it was an actual quote. It would be awesome though lol.

I took it as a complement to my parody skills.

"Atta Boy, Mike! Wish I could have cut those guys!"

- Jason Garrett

https%3A%2F%2Fsection215.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F461347208-850x560.jpeg

HanD

Reaction score
Reporter: "Coach McCarthy, there are anonymous players saying you need to simplify the Defense".

The only silver lining in a trainwreck season is player development. Guys like Diggs, Biadasz, Gallimore, McGovern and Schultz will be way ahead next year because they where thrown into the fire this year. Some won't be starters but all will improve more than just the "light going on" like we saw with Trysten Hill this year (and Schultz to a degree).

With Poe, Worley and Griffen gone there will be more reps for guys like Gallimore, Anae, Randy Gregory, and Reggie Robinson (maybe CJ Goodwin in the dime also). Maybe this is the fish or cut bait with Jourdan Lewis where they give him a lot of reps. They will probably poach a DT from someone else's practice squad because we were already light at the position.

The moves today could end up being addition by subtraction in the long run, especially if they were malcontents.

Sit jaylon and crawford. I'd like to see gifford and francis who are supposed to have great instincts and anae get some run this year. If it's lost let's see if we have something at those positions or if we need to throw more darts

Adreme

Reaction score
The DLine players, while not playing well, are not the ones whom the scheme needs to be simplified for. It is the secondary and even LBs that often look completely and totally lost out there with no clue what to do.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Parcells would've said it.

I can hear BP.....

Okay guys, listen up. Look at the board. You are the Xs. The Os are your enemy. There are 11 Xs and 11 Os. But there is only 1 of these footballs. Your job is to find the O with the football and kill him! Okay? Any questions?"

Reactions: CWR

JBond

Reaction score
My worry is that they ruin Diggs like they ruined Chido and Lewis.
Diggs is a better NFL player than the others listed. Up to the coaches to get him adjusted. will have growing pains adjusting. Never understood the Lewis fascination. He has done nothing.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Lets look at the players Jerry Jones has let go as Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. The first was Jimmy Smith WR. How did that end up for the Jaguars all time leading WR and HOF nominee?

Demarcus Ware? Super Bowl!

Go look at the Chiefs defense Charlton, Ward, Wilson, and Hitchens?

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones is not Jimmy Johnson churning 1989 Dallas Cowboys roster. Because Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would have let go Nate Newton, Mark Tuieni, Kevin Gogan, Kelvin Martin, Bill Bates, and Chad Hennings. Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would not no a Football player if one bit him on his wrinkled old butt. He has proven that the last 25 years.

Leadership is your problem and Jerry Jones is the leader and that is the problem.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Lets look at the players Jerry Jones has let go as Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. The first was Jimmy Smith WR. How did that end up for the Jaguars all time leading WR and HOF nominee?

Demarcus Ware? Super Bowl!

Go look at the Chiefs defense Charlton, Ward, Wilson, and Hitchens?

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones is not Jimmy Johnson churning 1989 Dallas Cowboys roster. Because Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would have let go Nate Newton, Mark Tuieni, Kevin Gogan, Kelvin Martin, Bill Bates, and Chad Hennings. Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would not no a Football player if one bit him on his wrinkled old butt. He has proven that the last 25 years.

Leadership is your problem and Jerry Jones is the leader and that is the problem.

Are you SURRRRRRRE Uncle Jerry has a WRINKLED OLD BUTT?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Dude, quit you damn lying. McCarthy didn’t say that. Go piss off. Fricken troll.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All will improve like Trysten Hill.

You know, where he had one tackle for loss and was a terrible run defender.

We're talking that kind of growth!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I don't think these moves really say much. We cut Griffen after Randy Gregory was activated, so more or less a direct replacement. We cut Worley with Awuzie coming back, so he was going to be low man on the totem pole behind Diggs, Awuzie, Brown and Lewis.

Poe is the only one we cut without activating a replacement. And I think we did that because Justin Hamilton at least played hard last week.

This is like Jimmy Johnson cutting players he didn't really care if he kept in order to send a message to the team. It doesn't really affect the plans, but it looks like the team means business.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Good points...

I'm hoping we can find out what we have in some of these young guys now so we have a better idea what we need moving forward.

Cutting Worley was a no brainer and I think we need to see if Robinson can play. He doesn't have to be anything special to be an upgrade over Worley, plus we know if he's a guy that we think can improve and contribute next year.

I'm hoping Gallimore gets more snaps as well. It would be nice to think getting him experience now will make him a starter or quality back up by the time next season rolls around.
Doesn't it bother you guys that all these guys being cut were signed under McCarthy?

Add in McCoy and Clinton Dix also cut..McCarthy and his talent evaluation should be a huge red light going forward.

Yes..Will Clay and the Jones are in on the signings and need their names highlited..

but if I understand it correctly..McCarthy makes the player decisions.

So does it not make it a truffle painful that Big Mike is that bad at evals?

And now we have all this rebuilding to do and Mike is zero at knowing who to sign?

This is a bomb about to go off after so many years of good drafting since 2016.

There are no magic pills.

I have to assume McCarthy is on a short leash right now in the smoking room at Jerrah's house right now.

When the brandy sniffers come out and Cuban cigars are handed out..

I wonder who speaks first?

Jerrah, Stephen or Will Clay?

:angry: