Twitter: McCarthy to McClay: "Players over system."

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"When he joined the organization and we started talking about players, one of the first things out of his mouth was 'Players over system,'" McClay said on Tuesday. "Well, that rung a bell with me right away."

It's the opposite of what had been the norm for several years in Dallas. Some of the organization's biggest draft misses in recent memory have centered around the question of talent versus scheme. The Cowboys famously selected Taco Charlton over T.J. Watt in 2017, at least partially due to concern that Watt couldn't play defensive end in their system.

Contrast that with McCarthy, who also said back in January that it's his responsibility to make sure the parameters of his scheme are large enough to accommodate any good football players.

"That was a unique thing to hear a coach say, because most of it is system-based when they look at things," McClay said. "So that opened the door for a lot of things."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/with-mccarthy-draft-is-players-over-system

Zordon

Reaction score
"When he joined the organization and we started talking about players, one of the first things out of his mouth was 'Players over system,'" McClay said on Tuesday. "Well, that rung a bell with me right away."

It's the opposite of what had been the norm for several years in Dallas. Some of the organization's biggest draft misses in recent memory have centered around the question of talent versus scheme. The Cowboys famously selected Taco Charlton over T.J. Watt in 2017, at least partially due to concern that Watt couldn't play defensive end in their system.

Contrast that with McCarthy, who also said back in January that it's his responsibility to make sure the parameters of his scheme are large enough to accommodate any good football players.

"That was a unique thing to hear a coach say, because most of it is system-based when they look at things," McClay said. "So that opened the door for a lot of things."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/with-mccarthy-draft-is-players-over-system
It's so nice to have the stench of Garrett off this franchise.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
I don't like it

As an engineer, I prefer systems over individual. Systems free you from big contracts, when well-implemented (Landry Cowboys, Patriots) it is plug-and-play thing, everyone (almost) is replaceable

I do believe poor coaches have the mentality of preferring players over systems, because they cannot come up with one or implement one

:cool:

birdwells1

Reaction score
I don't like it

As an engineer, I prefer systems over individual. Systems free you from big contracts, when well-implemented (Landry Cowboys, Patriots) it is plug-and-play thing, everyone (almost) is replaceable

I do believe poor coaches have the mentality of preferring players over systems, because they cannot come up with one or implement one

The real reason the Patriot, 80s 49ers, 90s Bulls/Lakers (triangle offense), Spurs, 90s Cowboys were so successful is because of Hof coaching and Hof players.

Brady, Rice, Jordan are the goats and Montana, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Robinson, Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Allen are all Hofers.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't like it

That’s laughable. McCarthy has a system. He just isn’t stuck in and rigid like his predecessor. As he said in his first press conference. It’s their job as coaches to tailor make the scheme around the players strengths not the other way around.

Dak is not Romo nor is he a pure pocket passer. Yet Garrett tried continuously to try and turn him into one. I’m excited to see Dak under a coach and In and offense that is built around his strengths not his weaknesses