Twitter: McCarthy: We're already focused on Buffalo

EndGame

Reaction score
The team was just fine without him all week. I didn’t say he wasn’t a leader…of course he is, but he’s not very good at leading men by force of personality, IMO. Dak covers that. Just like Belichick is a great coach, but you see how much Tom Brady’s team leadership is missed.
On the "Doomsday Podcast" they said that while McCarthy was out for practice, the players may have worked harder than ever. Supposedly it was because they all wear GPS devices, that that GPS data is reported to the coaching staff. They didn't want Mac thinking they were slacking off because he was gone.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
On the "Doomsday Podcast" they said that while McCarthy was out for practice, the players may have worked harder than ever. Supposedly it was because they all wear GPS devices, that that GPS data is reported to the coaching staff. They didn't want Mac thinking they were slacking off because he was gone.
Dear lord...GPS devices. I get that it helps track player speed, movement, agility, positioning...etc...but damn....the trade-off between no-contact practices vs. constant surveillance....

I think I would take the contact practices over being tracked 24/7, but that's just me.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
I know...I said the same thing myself but apparently it's true. How else do you think he survived in GB, Wisconsin all those years?

I figured all that talk (out of him) was to tell Jerry what he wanted to hear at the time. Ive always felt like he was an "old school" Pittsburgh, man's man that made his decisions based upon the flow of the game and players. He just doesnt strike me as an analytical guy no matter what he said coming in. Maybe Im missing something from GB...

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Dallas is 3-3 at Buffalo, all-time. The worst for me was the 1984 debacle. The Cowboys went up there 7-4 and the 0-11 Bills ran all over them, winning 14-3.

Buffalo ended up 2-14 while the Cowboys lost two more and missed the playoffs at 9-7. That game still ticks me off.
Was at an Eagles game that day. They never showed the score until the end causing the crowd to erupt even though the eagles lost their game

DallasInDC

Reaction score
The collective bargaining deal limits how many contact practices happen during regular season... plus a lot of coaches lean against contact practices to avoid injuries and spains.

They mentioned during the game that Siriani has very few contact practices.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I figured all that talk (out of him) was to tell Jerry what he wanted to hear at the time. Ive always felt like he was an "old school" Pittsburgh, man's man that made his decisions based upon the flow of the game and players. He just doesnt strike me as an analytical guy no matter what he said coming in. Maybe Im missing something from GB...
I know. Most analytical guys tend to be buttoned up top-to-bottom - in dress, attire, look, speech, etc. But apparently he's a math geek - which is perfect for an offensive coordinator who needs to perform algebra and low-level trig on every play. Throw some geometry into it too...it all helps a bunch because football is a game based on math - 11 players, 100 yards, 10 yards to a first down, field goals, field-positioning...all math problems.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm not a big believer in that. Dallas had the No. 1 offense when McCarthy came in. I think he believed the best way to get into contention quickly was to keep that in place and just add to it. After a few years of it, he figured out what we already knew, that the scheme/philosophy needed to be scrapped despite the team winning 12 games each of the past two seasons. I think he saw the limitations of it in those playoff losses.
The thing that gets me is at the beginning of the year, we were running middle isos ad nauseum to the tune of 2nd 8 and listening to Big Mike in the pressers, it sounds like he is still all about establishing the middle run.

Something happened over the bye obviously as the system changed as you say. I am just not sure that MM is cause even if he get credit for everything in his organization.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
The thing that gets me is at the beginning of the year, we were running middle isos ad nauseum to the tune of 2nd 8 and listing to Big Mike in the pressers, it sounds like he is still all about establishing the middle run.

Something happened over the bye obviously as the system changed as you say. I am just not sure that MM is cause even if he get credit for everything in his organization.
Winter is coming. You have to establish the run or teams will just rush four and drop 7 with no fear. Good teams put that on tape to give offenses something else to think about.

Dallas beat Philly because we were sure about what they were going to do so we could afford to be physical. Hard to be physical when you're being fooled. We need to give SF something else to think about...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Winter is coming. You have to establish the run or teams will just rush four and drop 7 with no fear. Good teams put that on tape to give offenses something else to think about.

Dallas beat Philly because we were sure about what they were going to do so we could afford to be physical. Hard to be physical when you're being fooled. We need to give SF something else to think about...
I am not arguing that either way. Run definitely has it's place and use.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That being said 40 degrees is gorgeous football weather in Buffalo this weekend and Miami is what it is. Detroit is at the Death Star.

Next time we could have a poor weather game will be Washington.