News: McCarthy will bring accountability to Dallas

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
One thing that Cobb knows for sure is that McCarthy will bring discipline and accountability to the Cowboys.

“He is big on discipline,” Cobb said. “He is big on accountability and making sure guys understand what we are doing. The biggest thing for him is knowing your assignment — making sure you are where you are supposed to be and when you are supposed to be there. And making sure you are not making mental errors during the course of the game.”

Former Texas star tight end Jermichael Finley, who played six years with the Packers before being forced to retire because of injury, echoed Cobb on McCarthy’s discipline and tough love.

He just hopes Jones lets McCarthy run the team and locker room without interference.

“Yes, that is one thing he is going to have to talk to Jerry about, ‘let me do this’,” Finley said, adding that McCarthy is “going to get on you. It’s going to feel like you are back in college. You screw up on a play, and he is going to get on you.”

But Finley also said that McCarthy’s tough discipline comes from a place of love.

“He is going to pat you on the back,” Finley said. “He is going to criticize you. He is going to tell you why he does it. He is a dad. I was a guy who didn’t have a father figure. Having a guy like that was comforting. You want to play for those guys.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article239050043.html#storylink=cpy

He’s gonna bring discipline..I hope Jerry let’s him!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing that Cobb knows for sure is that McCarthy will bring discipline and accountability to the Cowboys.

“He is big on discipline,” Cobb said. “He is big on accountability and making sure guys understand what we are doing. The biggest thing for him is knowing your assignment — making sure you are where you are supposed to be and when you are supposed to be there. And making sure you are not making mental errors during the course of the game.”
We heard the same thing under Garrett.

Clearly that was nothing but a talking point and hot air.

If all this is true under McCarthy it will be a pleasant change.

Little Jr

Reaction score
In the video they talk about McCarthy needing to find someone to call plays lol. Thats not going to happen. He did that once in 2015 and took it back in 2016 and said he would never not call plays again. If he keeps Moore at OC, he damn sure isnt going to let Moore, who is a 2nd year OC, never called, or even ran a WCO before, call plays for him. All anyone has to do is watch the King interview and its clear he will call he plays. The OC will be in name only.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In the video they talk about McCarthy needing to find someone to call plays lol. Thats not going to happen. He did that once in 2015 and took it back in 2016 and said he would never not call plays again. If he keeps Moore at OC, he damn sure isnt going to let Moore, who is a 2nd year OC, never called, or even ran a WCO before, call plays for him. All anyone has to do is watch the King interview and its clear he will call he plays. The OC will be in name only.
Not uncommon for an OC to have a non playcalling role under a play calling HC. Im not exactly sure what they do lol. However Ive said before that if Moore is let go and Beienemy gets a HC job, then Moore should take that gig. Learn WCO concepts under a renowned coach like Reid without play calling burnden. McCarthy isnt quite Reid's level (few are), but its still a good growth opportunity for Moore

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One of the things I did see ( cant remember if it was the video or an article) was that McCarthy didnt add enough motion to his offense. Thats one of the things he felt he was lacking and wanted to improve. That could be where a Moore pairing comes into play as that is a strength of Moore's. I could see McCarthy giving Moore some play design responsibilities.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Not uncommon for an OC to have a non playcalling role under a play calling HC. Im not exactly sure what they do lol. However Ive said before that if Moore is let go and Beienemy gets a HC job, then Moore should take that gig. Learn WCO concepts under a renowned coach like Reid without play calling burnden. McCarthy isnt quite Reid's level (few are), but its still a good growth opportunity for Moore
Not uncommon at all. BP called plays and Payton was the OC. Payton didnt call plays until his last year hear. McCarthy has called plays every year he was a HC except for one. JG called them in 2011 and 12. The video in the article, Hill and Finley was talking about McCarthy needing to find a play caller and thats just not going to happen with McCarthy. Im not sure where they have been, especially Finley, because hes always called plays and the one year he didnt, he said that would never happen again.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
We heard the same thing under Garrett.

Clearly that was nothing but a talking point and hot air.

If all this is true under McCarthy it will be a pleasant change.

I don't recall anything like this being said about Garrett. Garrett was more of a motivational guy and was a players coach which is why players like him, they can put in a half assed effort and not get called out. You can see that in the 9 years as HC the mental miscues and dumb penalties never went away.

Little Jr

Reaction score
One of the things I did see ( cant remember if it was the video or an article) was that McCarthy didnt add enough motion to his offense. Thats one of the things he felt he was lacking and wanted to improve. That could be where a Moore pairing comes into play as that is a strength of Moore's. I could see McCarthy giving Moore some play design responsibilities.
Yeah, that was in the Peter King interview video.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don't recall anything like this being said about Garrett. Garrett was more of a motivational guy and was a players coach which is why players like him, they can put in a half assed effort and not get called out. You can see that in the 9 years as HC the mental miscues and dumb penalties never went away.

I don't really think that Garrett was even a players coach. Except to only maybe Witten and Romo. I don't see talking to his players or to even his coordinators.

While I see many times McCarthy taking to his players quite a bit on the sidelines and with his staff. Garrett seems like a fraud. He just claps, butt slaps players and raising his finger when we score. I frankly don't think he is approachable or personable - just a terrible coach all around.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I don't really think that Garrett was even a players coach. Except to only maybe Witten and Romo. I don't see talking to his players or to even his coordinators.

While I see many times McCarthy taking to his players quite a bit on the sidelines and with his staff. Garrett seems like a fraud. He just claps, butt slaps players and raising his finger when we score. I frankly don't think he is approachable or personable - just a terrible coach all around.

Yea, he definitely had his favorites and where you really saw this was his lack of awareness with what the pulse of the team was. He focused on the offense and just was totally hands off as far as the defense and special teams.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Accountability? What is this foreign word you speak?
Thank god!