McClay breaks down each draft pick

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Just did a Google search for best drafting NFL teams. The first three articles that popped up all had Dallas in the top 5. Cherry picking the ones that didn’t work out really isn’t a convincing argument that McClay isn’t good at his job.

Beaker42

Reaction score
The comp for Fehoko I heard that makes the most sense to me is Michael Bennett. A sort of high level utility d-lineman across the line.

Fehoko’s athleticism is not great for EDGE, but has advantages inside.
Let’s hope he knows how to keep his azz on his side of the LOS prior to the snap. Bennett sure as hell didn’t.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The preferred pronouns Sally doesn't get that the decision makers make decisions based off of grades given to them by Will McClay.

Nobody in that war room is more responsible for the players picked. The deflection has failed. It is McClay that must own the complete garbage he's given us with more than a half dozen picks in the first 3 rounds.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just did a Google search for best drafting NFL teams. The first three articles that popped up all had Dallas in the top 5. Cherry picking the ones that didn’t work out really isn’t a convincing argument that McClay isn’t good at his job.

Cool story and I'm sure the authors are simpletons like you who just read headlines but an actual evaluation of the picks tells you differently. You don't waste that many high picks and be a guru.

And if the drafting is so excellent why doesn't the team win more than before he took over the board?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The preferred pronouns Sally doesn't get that the decision makers make decisions based off of grades given to them by Will McClay.

Nobody in that war room is more responsible for the players picked. The deflection has failed. It is McClay that must own the complete garbage he's given us with more than a half dozen picks in the first 3 rounds.
Cheeto fingers is still denying the Jones’ have the final say.

We get it. Your little beta brain doesn’t like McClay because you think he was hired undeservedly for diversity. Don’t blame your failures at life on minorities.

Now shut your trap and go fetch another article to start a thread about.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody questions who has final say. But when all the information in that final say is the responsibility of Will McClay then he is the determining factor.

Just like we saw in the Mazi video. Jerry signed off on what Will was telling him.

The mission to pass the buck for McClay just proves my point on how overrated he really is.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How naive do you have to be to think Jerry and Stephen are scouting players and assigning grades on those players?

I mean you may not find a more dense sports fan than that.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Yes, McClay and company set the grades. That’s never been in dispute. The question is who has the final say in who is drafted. You’re claiming the Jones’ aren’t part of that. That’s pure comedy. End of story.

Nobody questions who has final say. But when all the information in that final say is the responsibility of Will McClay then he is the determining factor.

I don’t really have a dog in this hunt BUT why can’t both opinions possibly be right?

It seems to me like the Jones’ run things like a board room. Jerry has an ego, wants to be involved, is a bit of a jock sniffer, and the optics seem to be very important to him. Is he making the final decisions? Maybe but it’s probably for the optics most of the time. It’s hard for his personality type to leave the impression that he is not in control 100% of the time, especially when the cameras are on. At the same time, I’m sure his ego influences his impartiality and he does fashion himself as a bit of a talent evaluator.

Does that mean McClay is making the decisions? Maybe but it’s likely more nuanced. Most of these Jerry Jones “Chairman of the Board” types view themselves as master facilitators who want others to do the heavy lifting for discussion and debate. Many times it ends up looking like a law school debate class. Just like anything else in life, the people making their cases have to pick their fights. Some may go to the mat while others choose different battles. By the same token, McClay likely has less room to be wishy-washy due to the nature of his job description.

If Jerry is allowing 1 voice to dominate the room at the expense of others, that’s a problem. I’m not sure a short clip is enough to draw a conclusion but it could be a window into who wields the real clout in the room. Usually when one party feels they have received good counsel from another, that person tends to get a longer leash. By the same token, I can’t see a world where Jerry would allow the impression that he has yielded control. But if McClay is wielding the control, he is playing a dangerous game. The feedback and consult from the rest of the team is still critical and if they believe their feedback and opinions are not valued, it could impact the value of the information received.

Just a thought

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t really have a dog in this hunt BUT why can’t both opinions possibly be right?

It seems to me like the Jones’ run things like a board room. Jerry has an ego, wants to be involved, is a bit of a jock sniffer, and the optics seem to be very important to him. Is he making the final decisions? Maybe but it’s probably for the optics most of the time. It’s hard for his personality type to leave the impression that he is not in control 100% of the time, especially when the cameras are on. At the same time, I’m sure his ego influences his impartiality and he does fashion himself as a bit of a talent evaluator.

Does that mean McClay is making the decisions? Maybe but it’s likely more nuanced. Most of these Jerry Jones “Chairman of the Board” types view themselves as master facilitators who want others to do the heavy lifting for discussion and debate. Many times it ends up looking like a law school debate class. Just like anything else in life, the people making their cases have to pick their fights. Some may go to the mat while others choose different battles. By the same token, McClay likely has less room to be wishy-washy due to the nature of his job description.

If Jerry is allowing 1 voice to dominate the room at the expense of others, that’s a problem. I’m not sure a short clip is enough to draw a conclusion but it could be a window into who wields the real clout in the room. Usually when one party feels they have received good counsel from another, that person tends to get a longer leash. By the same token, I can’t see a world where Jerry would allow the impression that he has yielded control. But if McClay is wielding the control, he is playing a dangerous game. The feedback and consult from the rest of the team is still critical and if they believe their feedback and opinions are not valued, it could impact the value of the information received.

Just a thought

Jerry and Stephen don't put in the work their job titles warrant. The guy who puts together the draft board is Will McClay. You don't have to take my word for it. They've all said it many times. Any decisions they make during the draft is within the grades given to them by McClay and his staff.

Not opinion. Fact.

All this is is a sissy Sally's attempt to deflect from the many misses on McClay's record. He (I use "he" loosely) doesn't like that. He wants to pretend it was Jerry who wanted Trysten Hill or Nahshon Wright or Chauncey Golston or Reggie Robinson II or Neville Gallimore against the recommendation of McClay. A fantasy he concocted in his head.

But none of those players would have been selected without a draft grade (McClay assigned) to justify the pick.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen don't put in the work their job titles warrant. The guy who puts together the draft board is Will McClay. You don't have to take my word for it. They've all said it many times. Any decisions they make during the draft is within the grades given to them by McClay and his staff.

Not opinion. Fact.

All this is is a sissy Sally's attempt to deflect from the many misses on McClay's record. He (I use "he" loosely) doesn't like that. He wants to pretend it was Jerry who wanted Trysten Hill or Nahshon Wright or Chauncey Golston or Reggie Robinson II or Neville Gallimore against the recommendation of McClay. A fantasy he concocted in his head.

But none of those players would have been selected without a draft grade (McClay assigned) to justify the pick.
Like I said, I don’t have a dog in the hunt. I was just trying to use some misdirection to change the subject.

Ya’ll stopped listening to each other and moved to the discrediting phase pages ago.

It’s funny how a simple message board can be such a microcosm of society.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Not opinion. Fact.

Beta brain is treating his opinion as fact. He wants everyone to think Jerry doesn’t have a say and that it’s solely McClay’s call on who we draft. If that wasn’t laughable enough, like a complete draft novice he think teams simply sort their grades on their excel spreadsheet and draft the BPA.

Here’s a fact. The scouting department sits in with Jerry/Stephen to debrief and share their grading of prospects of interest with the Jones’. Any draftnik that claims to follow the draft KNOWS THAT. Not him though; this is all new information. Anyone that doesn’t think Jerry weighs his own personal evaluation of a targeted prospect into the decision making process is a sincerely ignorant.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've said numerous times Jerry has the final say but like you see in the Mazi video it's Will McClay who provides the information that leads to the decision.

All these draft busts were taken because McClay had them graded as value at those selections. Every last one of them. He owns them all.

Jerry and Stephen sit in on at least some of the scouting meetings. They like to be involved. Anybody who thinks those two idiots are adjusting draft grades is ignorant. They also sit in on coaches meetings. They're not changing plays or game plans either.

It's Will McClay's draft board. That's his job. He who controls the draft board controls the draft. Jerry couldn't name 20 players from this draft class without referencing the draft board.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Excellent post.

What's funny is he talks about having to evolve with the game when he breaks down Deuce but in the Schoonmaker breakdown he says the TEs they look for are mostly a lost art in this day and age of space players.

Which is it, Will? Or are you just full of ****?
But you realize this is a false dichotomy?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If they truly feel fortunate he was here at 58 its only because they don't have the slightest clue of value. Nobody was taking Schoonmaker before that. He was a 3rd round pick at best.

But these are the guys who panicked and traded away next year's 5th because they just weren't sure Eric Scott Jr. would be there at 212.

He would have been there at 312.
A lot of people would have assumed the same thing about Jack Campbell, and Cowboys fans surely would have said it about Kancey, but those guys were gone before we even picked at 26. You never know what other teams would do. You even had the Cowboys taking Schoonmaker in the 3rd round; I had them taking LaPorta in the 3rd round, because he looked like a slightly better fit. La Porta went 34th overall.

So, again, you really never know, no matter how much we act like it. Schoonmaker could ball out, and I have a feeling he will. He might even end up being the better player. I think the Lions will be good this year, because they snatched three guys will very low floors off-the-bat. Lots of criticism, but I think they'll get the last laugh.

Then again, I could be wrong. You could be wrong. We've all been right and wrong before, so pretending someone hasn't done a well enough job, when they in fact have been in the top of the game just comes off as disingenuous.

He's got many warts. People just ignore them.

He's had 4 prior swings at DT with day 2 picks in the last 5 years and ended up with Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, Osa Odighizuwa and Chauncey Golston.

Impressed? I'm not.

He's now taken two more swings at it. Mazi Smith and Viliami Fehoko. There's no reason why anybody should be confident they will be players simply because they have the Will McClay stamp of approval. You'd have to ignore recent history to believe that. You need more of a reason than that.

I like Mazi. The fact that Will McClay likes Mazi means nothing to me. That's the thing.
Meh, I think the safer bet at 3-tech may have been Adetomiwa Adebawore, but Fehoko has that drive and motor than you can't coach. Once he increases his athleticism, he's going to be a nice player.

We'll see if he's any good this time, I guess, you know, since you agreed he was a top 50 player.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Cool story and I'm sure the authors are simpletons like you who just read headlines but an actual evaluation of the picks tells you differently. You don't waste that many high picks and be a guru.

And if the drafting is so excellent why doesn't the team win more than before he took over the board?
When was the last time they won 25 games over a 2 year period?