McClay needs to be fired

Irse

Reaction score
McClay is not the problem.

GMs thinking all they need is a few role players to help the manage the cap is the problem.

Stephen places more emphasis on the cap than players and performance, like there's some secret competition for best money manager
Would rather they trade picks for future picks if they are so worried about the cap. Then when we have some cap relief, we will have an abundance of picks.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I don't disagree in principle, but as Jones and McCarthy described in the press conference tonight players are graded based on qualities that the coaches want to be emphasized for what they are trying to do. They aren't grading players generally for any situation, so all the teams boards are going to be a distorted view of players.

So when we are following our board, I don't think they consider where the player is on someone's big board of general value because it only takes one team who are looking for similar qualities to snatch that guy up. The Wright pick seems, in particular, seems nutty to me, but if they really did have 6 players that they liked in that spot as they said and still picked Wright then I have to believe they value something in him that other folks aren't looking for.
Not to argue with you (or them) but just a year ago Mike McCarthy said that he wanted coaches that can coach talent. And that a good coach can find room in his scheme for talent.

We don't seem to be doing that just a short year later. It's the crusty Rod method all over again. And the reason we end up with Taco Charltons while the league laughs all the way to T.J. Watts...........

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Objection: assuming facts not in evidence.

"We all know the Jones' are never gonna step down...(so we need a scapegoat to make us feel better about it.)"
That’s exactly what is it, but I think we’d all agree that the Cowboys’ organization is a nepotistic one — just like the Raiders. The Davis family has been there for generations now, and the Cowboys will be the same way

johneric8

Reaction score
We all know the Jones’ are never gonna step down, so that’s off the table.

But Will McClay, the glorified draft savant, just played a major part in using 3 straight high-end, quality draft positions to select absolute nobodies. Guys who should be late rounders or UDFAs. As usual, the Cowboys outsmarted themselves by trying to think they’re smarter than everyone else.

It’s concerning how inept this draft class looks to be, and Will McClay’s ONLY job is to prepare for this night.

This night - specifically the 3rd round - was a disaster.

McClay, please take a hike.

Menopause isn't cooperating well with you :omg:

DFWJC

Reaction score
All McClay does is supply his scout team’s evals and a rough draft board.

The problem in most draft rooms is the debates between coaches and scouts
Coaches sometimes get the GM to “adjust” the board

Even Parcells was saved several times by scouts.

We took DWare for example

but he also had his say with Bobby Carpenter and others

But around the league this is an issue except limited cases

this year it just seems extreme so far for Dallas

blueblood70

Reaction score

But Will McClay, the glorified draft savant, just played a major part in using 3 straight high-end, quality draft positions to select absolute nobodies. Guys who should be late rounders or UDFAs. As usual, the Cowboys outsmarted themselves by trying to think they’re smarter than everyone else.

It’s concerning how inept this draft class looks to be, and Will McClay’s ONLY job is to prepare for this night.

you as fan need to be fired.....how that be?

b9081dd181e165ba1a76b6f13e1c6375.png

pansophy

Reaction score
I blame the FO for not making the necessary moves to trade up.
Which two player are you giving up and for whom?
Not to argue with you (or them) but just a year ago Mike McCarthy said that he wanted coaches that can coach talent. And that a good coach can find room in his scheme for talent.

We don't seem to be doing that just a short year later. It's the crusty Rod method all over again. And the reason we end up with Taco Charltons while the league laughs all the way to T.J. Watts...........
Yeah, I mean you could argue that that is what they did with their two DL picks -- selecting talent over a specific position. Wright is the one pick I truly don't get.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I was scratching my head too, but you can’t seriously judge a draft 5 minutes after day 2. Again, not saying we drafted the legion of boom or anything, but Seahawks fans where up in arms when Sherman, Browning, and Chancellor were picked. When they grabbed Bruce Irvin everyone was shocked and their fans were pissed (have a buddy who’s a Hawks fan).

Can’t judge a draft until 2-3 years after. Does look shaky right now but I’m not going to lose sleep over a future I can’t predict. These guys could all be great picks or terrible picks, we have 0 idea right now.

Say what? Bruce Irvin was VERY well regarded as an incredibly disruptive lass rusher. No one who knows their butthole from their elbow was upset about Irvin. Everyone projected how disruptive he would be as a pass rusher.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That’s exactly what is it, but I think we’d all agree that the Cowboys’ organization is a nepotistic one — just like the Raiders. The Davis family has been there for generations now, and the Cowboys will be the same way

I don't disagree at all. The Jones boys have turned this franchise into a joke and they're not going to change. Firing scapegoats changes nothing.

I still follow out of habit, but the Cowboys I loved in the 20th century are gone. That isn't likely to change in our lifetimes.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
What? Every national article was saying these types of things about the Irvin pick. He wasn’t seen as a 1st round prospect that draft, nobody had him going that high. The Seahawks march to the beat of their own drum on draft day, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

“With the 15th pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Seattle Seahawks select...Bruce Irvin?!

When the Seahawks made their pick on Thursday in the first round of the NFL draft, virtually the whole country responded with, "Who the (heck) is that?"

https://syndication.bleacherreport....nvention-and-logic-with-bizarre-pick.amp.html

“One of the biggest surprises in the 2012 NFL Draft came with the 15th pick of the 1st round when the Seattle Seahawks selected West Virginia LB Bruce Irvin. Among the various media mock drafts leading up to the real thing, Irvin was widely considered a 2nd round prospect, at best a late 1st round pick.”

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/a...8971/nfl-draft-seahawks-pick-bruce-irvin-jets

I misunderstood your previous comment. I thought you were saying they didn't think he was talented, not that he was overdrafted. My bad.

817Gill

Reaction score
I remember wanting Irvin and all the talk about how disruptive he could be, but I do remember there being some red flags.
Yeah he’s matured over his career but was a character concern coming out of WVU.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
As controversial as it sounds, McClay might just know what he's doing, being a professional with several years experience and all.
McClay does the actual footwork. McClay has the actual experience, knowledge and expertise.
It should give no one confidence in this year's defensive picks if McClay did the legwork for them, like he did for the 2016-2019 defensive picks.

Dorsett33

Reaction score

They haven't played ONE NFL down and you're calling the draft a disaster. Lol...wow! McClay has been nothing but good for this team. Get a grip!

cowboyec

Reaction score
dane bruglar had 4th Rd grades on osa and golston.
lindy's had a 3rd rd grade on osa and ranked him in their top 100.
nahshon wright may have had a 7th Rd grade...but was expected to get drafted.
6'4 corners don't just happen...he was a starter at a major program...lets not pretend he was just some bum they gave a starter spot too.
kid has talent or he wouldnt have been drafted.
its up to him what happens from here.
im gonna root like hell for him cause we need the help.

zekecowboy

Reaction score

I don't think McClay is the problem.

The real problem is how other NFL teams seemed to know who Dallas
was going to pick. Trade up before Dallas and nab the player that
Dallas was planning to pick. Loose lips sink ships, in this case
it blew up their draft especially in the third round.