McClay on Punter Situation And Why No One Has Been Brought In

817Gill

Reaction score
Says that Fassel feels “really good” about punting situation. I’m not seeing how Chris Jones’s performance was scheme or coach based, seems to me like he’s physically declined. Only thing this team has done that’s irked me this offseason.

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfc-east-notes-cowboys-eagles-giants-Commanders-155/

Kaiser

Reaction score
Says that Fassel feels “really good” about punting situation. I’m not seeing how Chris Jones’s performance was scheme or coach based, seems to me like he’s physically declined. Only thing this team has done that’s irked me this offseason.

They are just setting Chris Jones up so he doesn't suspect the cut is coming. Clearly this is going to be like that scene in "Goodfellas" where Joe Pesci is lured into a meeting where he gets whacked.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Jones has been pretty good for a long time. Last year, the entire team seemed to be in a weird funk and ST’s was just terrible. I think almost everyone on this roster will be revitalized with this new and real coaching staff. They’ll probably bring in someone to compete, I would hope.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Whether it was injury or age, I’m not worried. Teams change kickers in midseason frequently, and finding another punter is even easier. If Jones craps the bed in camp or preseason, it’s not like finding a QB or #1 wr or LT the week before the season. We can find a punter if needed.

if you remember, we had a strong legged punter in camp last year. I’m sure he’s still out there.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jones has been pretty good for a long time. Last year, the entire team seemed to be in a weird funk and ST’s was just terrible. I think almost everyone on this roster will be revitalized with this new and real coaching staff. They’ll probably bring in someone to compete, I would hope.

I think he was battling injuries most of last season.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Jones was solid under Bisaccia. He was hurt last year and also was coached by the dumpster fire that was Keith O'Quinn. Now that he has another actual ST coach like Fassel, I think he goes back to normal. If Fassel wanted him gone, he'd be gone a long time ago!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just posted this in the other Jones thread. Important to keep this in mind.

2019 season
Jones suffered an important decline in productivity, averaging 41.6 gross yards and a 37-yard net average per attempt. Both stats were the NFL’s lowest. At the end of the season, it was reported in the media that he played through a back and sports hernia injury.

No reason to believe he won't bounce back once fully healthy. But I completely support the idea that he needs competition and at least one additional punter need brought in.

817Gill

Reaction score

2019 season
Jones suffered an important decline in productivity, averaging 41.6 gross yards and a 37-yard net average per attempt. Both stats were the NFL’s lowest. At the end of the season, it was reported in the media that he played through a back and sports hernia injury.
That would definitely explain it

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

2019 season

No reason to believe he won't bounce back once fully healthy. But I completely support the idea that he needs competition and at least one additional punter need brought in.
Noted and filed.

Them kickers.

Bailey went the same way for us.

But he seems to have recovered nicely.

Oneiros

Reaction score

Totally agreed. Jones got paid and packed it in. There's no reason why there can't be competition. Given how poorly he performed last year there's no way we can't get similar type of production (or lack thereof) from a UDFA for much cheaper.