McClay: The 2023 draft class must make a year 2 jump

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Cowboys VP of player personnel Will McClay when asked about needing last year’s draft class (Mazi Smith, Luke Schoonmaker, DeMarvion Overshown, Viliami Fehoko, etc.) to make a Year 2 jump:

“Those guys have to make a jump for us to succeed. They’ve been in the system for a year. Now, we’ve got a little different defensive scheme, but they’ve been around here. They’ve been a part of the process.

“When you have a good team and we’ve won 36 games in three years, we haven’t won the big one, but that’s highly productive to win that many games. To do that, you have to have a number of good players.
So when you draft players, those players don’t always immediately step in and fill that role. But when you’re drafting a player, you’re drafting them for the four to five years of their contract, and you’re trying to get a return on investment.

“We need those guys to take a jump now based on the cap and the way things are. And they just have to step up. At the end of the day, that’s exactly what it is. We’ll continue to try and fill holes and add players as we go through this process. But guys just have to step up. It’s their time now.

“We’ve lost a number of really quality vets that have been on our roster, that have been with us for a while. These young guys need to step up. There’s no other way about it.”

"

"We're counting on guys who didn't succeed last year to push us over the top this year"

fivetwos

Reaction score
McClay is the de facto GM. What is your complaint? That he doesn’t also negotiate the contracts?
My complaints have much less to do with McClay himself than a couple of others.

I think you know those answers my fellow fan.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Well, no ****. Thanks, Will.

Maybe it's the scouting department that needs to step it up.

CashMan

Reaction score
Mazi Smith is out of the league in 3 years
They had to of know this was Quinn's last year, and to give him the 1st rd pick just seemed odd. Let's take a system guy for the coach that is leaving at the end of the year.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Went over this 1000 times why they didn't like him. Not sure why his name keeps coming up.
Must of missed then1000 times that we were smarter than the coaching staff needing a TE2 instead of a road grading starting guard and honestly I could care less what u think

exciter

Reaction score
"Logic" would be firing the GM if a draft class fails and you've not built a Conference Championship game roster for 30 years.

So, what "logic" are you talking about that I don't understand?
Lol,

Failed? Typically DT and TE take a year or 2 to develop and the LB tore his ACL.
Again logic, not one of your strong points!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
When he says “must” I assume he means if the team is take another step forward, those guys are all we have to make it happen. And because this FO handcuffed itself this off-season, McClay is correct.
IF this team makes the playoff this season, 3-5 young players will have to play way beyond expectation( Overshown (ms), Tolbert, Mazi and a couple of rookies).

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Which means we went cheap this offseason so we need you guys to make us look good as you are all cheap labor!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
A Nose Tackle, a backup TE you’re asking to make a big impact?

That’s your fault for drafting them.

Overshown got a chance to be something but these other guys are jags.