McFadden Anyone?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Many have thought that backup Morris would inherit the starting job. Morris has served as Zeke's backup throughout the first five games of the season. Meanwhile, McFadden has been a healthy scratch. He has yet to touch the ball.

Though, the idea to possibly utilize McFadden as the primary back probably stems from the fact he was the team’s starter in 2015. Throughout 16 games, McFadden put up a total of 1,417 yards and scored three touchdowns. It was not a poor campaign by any means. In Morris’ two seasons with the 'Boys, he has tallied just 80 touches in a complementary role to Zeke. To be truthful, when Zeke & Morris would switch out without me catching it, I would find myself yelling GO ZEKE....to only find out it was Morris who moved the pile lol. I like Morris better. Simply because he knows his offense better due to playing.

THOUGHTS?

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I have said before, I believe the reason McFadden has been inactive is because he's too much like Elliott and he offers no additional help elsewhere such as special teams. If the team loses Elliott, I expect McFadden will be his replacement as starter, though I also expect the team will transition to more of a committee approach, possibly even with Morris used more on passing downs.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I'd give Morris the first chance just because he's been playing very well. And I think McFadden could serve better as a backup, Morris seems like a guy who excels when he gets a bulk of the carries.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many have thought that backup Morris would inherit the starting job. Morris has served as Zeke's backup throughout the first five games of the season. Meanwhile, McFadden has been a healthy scratch. He has yet to touch the ball.

Though, the idea to possibly utilize McFadden as the primary back probably stems from the fact he was the team’s starter in 2015. Throughout 16 games, McFadden put up a total of 1,417 yards and scored three touchdowns. It was not a poor campaign by any means. In Morris’ two seasons with the 'Boys, he has tallied just 80 touches in a complementary role to Zeke. To be truthful, when Zeke & Morris would switch out without me catching it, I would find myself yelling GO ZEKE....to only find out it was Morris who moved the pile lol. I like Morris better. Simply because he knows his offense better due to playing.

THOUGHTS?
Go with the hot hand. Play them about equally until it becomes obvious who should start.

Morris - Better zone runner.

McFadden - Better outside runner, better pass blocker, better receiver.

McFadden makes sense as a 3rd down RB and Morris makes sense as a 1st/2nd down RB.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Go with the hot hand. Play them about equally until it becomes obvious who should start.

Morris - Better zone runner.

McFadden - Better outside runner, better pass blocker, better receiver.

McFadden makes sense as a 3rd down RB and Morris makes sense as a 1st/2nd down RB.
I'll 2nd what xwalker sez',,for now,as I believe McFadden got something to prove when given the chance and then Morris Will start seeing reduced playing time ,Darrin is the better well rounded running back,,, and if it was him instead of Alfred that broke it for 70yds,,,, McFadden wouldn't of got caught from behind,cuz' he is still pretty FASTo_O

Cowboys_22

Reaction score

THOUGHTS?

Running back by committee with Morris getting a few more carries than McFadden.

I'd like to see what Smith can do.

John813

Reaction score
Eh, one thing if we actually used our #2 back. Morris got what, 1-3 carries per game, and maybe 5-8 snaps a game?

IF were worried about McF's health over that workload, then he shouldn't last a quarter being the #1 back.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

THOUGHTS?
Frankly..

I'd like to see both Morris AND McFadden in the same backfield.

That way we have the advantage on the defense..

they would not know WHAT was coming and Linehan could dial up everything in the playbook.

Can we? Huh? Right now?

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I like McFadden. He's better running outside the tackles, has better burst, can block well and he's a good recieving back. With Morris I think you got maybe a better pure runner, better fit for zone blocking and maybe better vision? He seems like a better player when it comes to getting tough yards, especially short yardage situations. He's just limited as a blocker and recieving back.
Will teams sell out to stop the run is what I'm wondering. 8 man fronts? Haven't seen many of those in the last few games anyway have we?

tayloner

Reaction score
Carries will be close at first between McFadden and Morris, with Morris' coming more on 1st and 2nd down, but I imagine McFadden will out snap and out touch Morris right away. If Zeke is out a full 6 weeks, the type of offense I picture us playing without him is a better fit with McFadden.