McFadden, Jones To Announce Plans Today

PosterChild

Reaction score
Arkansas tailbacks Darren McFadden and Felix Jones will announce their future plans at a 1 p.m. press conference.

McFadden and Jones are expected to declare for the NFL draft. Both juniors have been projected to go as high as the first-round.

Much of the spotlight this season was on McFadden, who earned his second consecutive Doak Walker Award and became the first Walter Camp Foundation player of the year award in school history. He ran for a school-record 1,725 yards, running or 100 yards or more in nine of 12 games this season.

Jones, an All-American kick returner, was often overshadowed, though he also topped 1,000 yards rushing this season. He scored 11 touchdowns and averaged 8.7 yards per carry.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=102305.58819.114388&spID=3

PosterChild

Reaction score
Darren McFadden isn't sticking around for another run at the Heisman Trophy. The Arkansas All-American announced Monday he'll skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft."When I was growing up, I dreamed of playing for the Razorbacks," McFadden said. "Now, the time has come for me to pursue another dream of mine — playing in the NFL."

McFadden was the Heisman runner-up in 2006 and 2007, so his decision to turn pro wasn't surprising. He ran for 1,830 yards last season, second on the Southeastern Conference's single-season list. He is also second on the career list with 4,590 yards rushing.
Felix Jones, the Razorbacks' other talented tailback, said he'll also enter the draft a year early.

McFadden rushed for over 1,000 yards all three seasons at Arkansas. Jones did it the last two. They were part of a backfield that also included senior fullback Peyton Hillis, another NFL prospect.
Now Arkansas will have to rebuild under new coach Bobby Petrino.
McFadden's decision comes a week after he was involved in a "pretty rowdy scene" at a piano bar in Little Rock, when he was handcuffed by police and then released without charges. In the summer of 2006, he severely injured his toe in a fight outside another club, but recovered in time to play in the season opener.

McFadden holds Arkansas' career and single-season rushing records.
McFadden, from Little Rock, made an immediate impression in 2005. He ran for 1,113 yards and was chosen SEC freshman of the year. In 2006, he led Arkansas on a 10-game winning streak and was second in the Heisman race to Ohio State's Troy Smith.
It was during that season that the Razorbacks began using McFadden in the shotgun at quarterback — he could run, throw or hand off to Jones.
McFadden spoke first at a joint news conference Monday. Then it was Jones' turn.

"I guess that'll be the last handoff from D-Mac," Jones joked.
This season, the Razorbacks lost their first three SEC games but rebounded late. They beat then-No. 1 LSU in the regular-season finale. McFadden ran for 206 yards and three touchdowns and also threw for a touchdown in Arkansas' triple-overtime 50-48 win.
McFadden also tied an SEC record with 321 yards rushing in a November win over South Carolina. He figures to be one of the first players taken in the April draft.

"I just want to go play in the NFL," McFadden said. "Whether I went No. 1 or dead last, it'll be the same feeling for me."
McFadden and Jones join an impressive group of running backs in this year's draft, including Central Florida's Kevin Smith, Michigan's Mike Hart, Rutgers' Ray Rice and West Virginia's Steve Slaton

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5igkzwSX0KI-wSxNKk7EmpEzLEaXwD8U5S63G0

PosterChild

Reaction score
"I just want to go play in the NFL," McFadden said. "Whether I went No. 1 or dead last, it'll be the same feeling for me."
McFadden and Jones join an impressive group of running backs in this year's draft, including Central Florida's Kevin Smith, Michigan's Mike Hart, Rutgers' Ray Rice and West Virginia's Steve Slaton"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Jamal Charles and Reshard Mendenhall

In order of preference-- Mcfadden, Felix Jones, Jamal Charles, Reshard Mendenhall, Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, Steve SLayton, Peyton Hillis(FB),Owen Schmidt(FB), and Mike Hart (don't like the dude)

marchetta

Reaction score
PosterChild;1904334 said:

In order of preference-- Mcfadden, Felix Jones, Jamal Charles, Reshard Mendenhall, Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, Steve SLayton, Peyton Hillis(FB),Owen Schmidt(FB), and Mike Hart (don't like the dude)

Great ranking. But I have it:
Mcfadden (Batman), Felix Jones (Robin), Reshard Mendenhall (Julius Jones v2.0), Ray Rice (Emmitt-Light), Jamal Charles (3rd Down RB with Brian Westbrook Potential), Steve Slayton (3rd Down RB), Kevin Smith (slow to the LOS, but I still like him).

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Nors;1904798 said:
I think Jones will be a solid Pro RB.

At the very least, he'd be a good return guy.

I'm extremely excited about this year's crop of RB's.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
1. Kevin Smith - not the fastest guy around, but he is a workhorse in the mold of Emmitt Smith, Larry Johnson.....plus he is one helluva director:D
2. Jamaal Charles - if he has truly fixed his fumbling, whoever drafts him will get an awesome RB
3. Chris Johnson - speed, elusiveness, and versatility
4. Rashard Mendenhall - size, speed, power, vision
5. Ray Rice - he can definitely carry the load
6. Mike Hart - i like his heart and determination, unfortunately he is injury prone
7. Felix Jones - the other hog....fast and elusive
8. Yvenson Bernard - versatile back, but doesn't seem to deliver against top flight competition
9. Anthony Alridge - could be our Wolfe/Sproles

Yep, you read correctly...I don't want McFadden. I think he has bust written all over him. Even if I am wrong, McFadden is way out of our range anyway. He will be a top 5 pick.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Biggems;1905050 said:
1. Kevin Smith - not the fastest guy around, but he is a workhorse in the mold of Emmitt Smith, Larry Johnson.....plus he is one helluva director:D
2. Jamaal Charles - if he has truly fixed his fumbling, whoever drafts him will get an awesome RB
3. Chris Johnson - speed, elusiveness, and versatility
4. Rashard Mendenhall - size, speed, power, vision
5. Ray Rice - he can definitely carry the load
6. Mike Hart - i like his heart and determination, unfortunately he is injury prone
7. Felix Jones - the other hog....fast and elusive
8. Yvenson Bernard - versatile back, but doesn't seem to deliver against top flight competition
9. Anthony Alridge - could be our Wolfe/Sproles

Yep, you read correctly...I don't want McFadden. I think he has bust written all over him. Even if I am wrong, McFadden is way out of our range anyway. He will be a top 5 pick.

J STEW. JAMES DAVIS. HOLLLLLLLLLLA.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Nobody has Jonathan Stewart on your lists? Or did he say he wasn't coming out and I missed it? Cause he's definetely top 10. Probably top 5

Elsinore Blue

Reaction score
I's true we need to draft in the first round a rb/cb but we also need to draft another back in the later rounds because Tyson Thompson is not worth 2 cents. This third back should be able to retun kicks also.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
locked&loaded;1905140 said:
J STEW. JAMES DAVIS. HOLLLLLLLLLLA.

I knew I was forgetting someone.....Stewart. thanks.......put Stewart at 6.

James Davis? is he the guy from Clemson?

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Biggems;1905165 said:

Stewart at 6...... wha

and yes davis is part of the two headed monster over there.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Great depth in the first two rounds.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I agree on Stewart.

He's going to be the second or third RB taken after the combine. He's going to impress everyone with his workouts.

He's a good receiver out of the backfield too.

Some issues with health....but really no more than Peterson.

jcollins28

Reaction score
It would be dumb to draft a R/B when there is a M.Turner out there waiting to be signed. The Boys would be better off to sign Turner and use those draft picks on other needs. Turner is better then any of these backs IMHO.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jcollins28;1906156 said:
It would be dumb to draft a R/B when there is a M.Turner out there waiting to be signed. The Boys would be better off to sign Turner and use those draft picks on other needs. Turner is better then any of these backs IMHO.

I disagree. It would be exceedingly dumb to sign a guy whom will require BIG money when there is ample talent in this draft at the position in the draft. Turner hasn't proven himself to be a #1 RB any more than our own MB3 has. We can resign MB3 (cheaper than Turner), pick up a RB on the cheap in the draft, and use free agency to address WR, which is a big need and is a position far more devoid of talent than RB in this draft. IMO.

Cason and Jones in the first round....aaathankya.

Priority

1. CB
2. RB
3. WR

I guess what it boils down to for me, is the fact that there is more talent at RB than WR in this years' draft, the tendency for WR's to take a few seasons to make an impact (or that they tend to become busts more often), and the fact that we already have a RB that can perform at a high level. RB isn't important enough to this team to blow umpteen millions or dollars on this offseason.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Biggems;1905165 said:

Stewart should be right behind DMac at #2...he may show to be the best true TB in this draft.

marchetta

Reaction score
locked&loaded;1905010 said:
thats your opinion, and you still want him?

Julius Jones v2.0 was in reference to this post I made in another thread about Mendenhall...

"From what I've seen, Mendenhall is a bigger version of Julius Jones (his rookie year), except Mendenhall is much bigger (~6'1 ~220lbs). Mendenhall runs exactly the same as JJ did his rookie year, except he's can't do JJ's signature "ankle breaking move." Mendenhall is too big to stop his momentum on a dime and skip to the side the way JJ did that Rookie year. Other than that, he looks like an exact duplicate of JJ. He has the same vision, speed, and quickness that JJ displayed early in his career. Mendenhall could hit a hole and take it the distance any time he gets the ball, as long as the hole is there. However, he'll have the same problem JJ has. He will be a run-into-the-pile RB. He doesn't have the agility to slide down the LOS when a hole isn't there, the way Ray Rice can do. If the hole isn't there, he has to turn his shoulders and "take steps" to redirect his momentum because he's such a big RB rather than keep his shoulders parallel to the LOS the way R.Rice does and "slide" laterally to an opening. However, unlike JJ, instead of going down at first contact, he will move the pile 3 or 4 yards, and he will break tackles because of his size and power. Personally, I love this kid (no homo). But if we pick him, we'd better darn well have an OL that can open holes, or he'll just run into the pile. He doesn't have the agility to improvise, and slide around the LOS in order to find the soft spot. But, if the hole is there, no one hits it with more power and speed than this guy. Simply put, if you want to know anything about Mendenhall, just turn on a video of JJ's rookie year and imagine JJ a couple of inches taller and 20lbs heavier doing the same exact thing (except for the ankle breaking move). Mendenhall has all the speed and quickness as JJ did except in a much bigger body. Call him JJ v2.0. JMHO."

Here's a youtube link. Check it out and tell me if you think he runs exactly like JJ did.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=27cxAs7mGSs

Here's another link. At the 2 minute mark he does JJ's ankle breaking move. So, I was wrong, he can do everything JJ did. LOL! (FWIW: Mendenhall is #5 NOT #9)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w2gIsDTL-AU