McFadden, Jones To Announce Plans Today

marchetta

Reaction score
Biggems;1905050 said:
1. Kevin Smith - not the fastest guy around, but he is a workhorse in the mold of Emmitt Smith, Larry Johnson.....plus he is one helluva director:D
2. Jamaal Charles - if he has truly fixed his fumbling, whoever drafts him will get an awesome RB
3. Chris Johnson - speed, elusiveness, and versatility
4. Rashard Mendenhall - size, speed, power, vision
5. Ray Rice - he can definitely carry the load
6. Mike Hart - i like his heart and determination, unfortunately he is injury prone
7. Felix Jones - the other hog....fast and elusive
8. Yvenson Bernard - versatile back, but doesn't seem to deliver against top flight competition
9. Anthony Alridge - could be our Wolfe/Sproles

Yep, you read correctly...I don't want McFadden. I think he has bust written all over him. Even if I am wrong, McFadden is way out of our range anyway. He will be a top 5 pick.

Kevin Smith is overrated. He's slow getting to the LOS. Consequently, he'll have to be in a system that features a FB. He won't be able to run effectively out of a spread formation. This puts a major hole in his game. JMO.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
marchetta;1907948 said:
Julius Jones v2.0 was in reference to this post I made in another thread about Mendenhall...

"From what I've seen, Mendenhall is a bigger version of Julius Jones (his rookie year), except Mendenhall is much bigger (~6'1 ~220lbs). Mendenhall runs exactly the same as JJ did his rookie year, except he's can't do JJ's signature "ankle breaking move." Mendenhall is too big to stop his momentum on a dime and skip to the side the way JJ did that Rookie year. Other than that, he looks like an exact duplicate of JJ. He has the same vision, speed, and quickness that JJ displayed early in his career. Mendenhall could hit a hole and take it the distance any time he gets the ball, as long as the hole is there. However, he'll have the same problem JJ has. He will be a run-into-the-pile RB. He doesn't have the agility to slide down the LOS when a hole isn't there, the way Ray Rice can do. If the hole isn't there, he has to turn his shoulders and "take steps" to redirect his momentum because he's such a big RB rather than keep his shoulders parallel to the LOS the way R.Rice does and "slide" laterally to an opening. However, unlike JJ, instead of going down at first contact, he will move the pile 3 or 4 yards, and he will break tackles because of his size and power. Personally, I love this kid (no homo). But if we pick him, we'd better darn well have an OL that can open holes, or he'll just run into the pile. He doesn't have the agility to improvise, and slide around the LOS in order to find the soft spot. But, if the hole is there, no one hits it with more power and speed than this guy. Simply put, if you want to know anything about Mendenhall, just turn on a video of JJ's rookie year and imagine JJ a couple of inches taller and 20lbs heavier doing the same exact thing (except for the ankle breaking move). Mendenhall has all the speed and quickness as JJ did except in a much bigger body. Call him JJ v2.0. JMHO."

Here's a youtube link. Check it out and tell me if you think he runs exactly like JJ did.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=27cxAs7mGSs

Here's another link. At the 2 minute mark he does JJ's ankle breaking move. So, I was wrong, he can do everything JJ did. LOL! (FWIW: Mendenhall is #5 NOT #9)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w2gIsDTL-AU

I already know about him, I think hes good and would love him on the squad" but i was curious since you said he was like julius why you wanted him.

marchetta

Reaction score
locked&loaded;1908148 said:
I already know about him, I think hes good and would love him on the squad" but i was curious since you said he was like julius why you wanted him.

Yeah, I should have clarified my reference in the original post. Thanks.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
PosterChild;1904334 said:
"I just want to go play in the NFL," McFadden said. "Whether I went No. 1 or dead last, it'll be the same feeling for me."
McFadden and Jones join an impressive group of running backs in this year's draft, including Central Florida's Kevin Smith, Michigan's Mike Hart, Rutgers' Ray Rice and West Virginia's Steve Slaton"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Jamal Charles and Reshard Mendenhall

In order of preference-- Mcfadden, Felix Jones, Jamal Charles, Reshard Mendenhall, Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, Steve SLayton, Peyton Hillis(FB),Owen Schmidt(FB), and Mike Hart (don't like the dude)

I'd rate them in this order (with players I particularly like in bold font):

1-- Darren McFadden... sure fire first five pick

2a-- Rashard Mendenhall... near-certain first rounder

2b-- Jonathon Stewart (I go back and forth as to which one I rate ahead of the other)... near-certain first rounder

4-- Felix Jones... late first/early second rounder

5-- Kevin Smith... early second rounder

6-- Chris Johnson... early to mid second rounder

7-- Ray Rice... solid second rounder

8-- Jamaal Charles... late second/early third rounder

9-- Steve Slaton... late second/early third rounder

10-- James Davis... early third rounder

11-- Mike Hart... solid third rounder

12-- Tashard Choice... solid third rounder

So, if the Cowboys are unable or unwilling to trade up for McFadden, I'd prefer that they look at the remaining RBs in the second round, and use their two first round picks for a CB and a WR...

hendog

Reaction score
silverbear;1908253 said:

2b-- Jonathon Stewart (I go back and forth as to which one I rate ahead of the other)... near-certain first rounder

So, if the Cowboys are unable or unwilling to trade up for McFadden, I'd prefer that they look at the remaining RBs in the second round, and use their two first round picks for a CB and a WR...

Hey Silverbear how do you see the WR's ranking at the top?

I like Jackson for his speed and return abilities.
MKelly
JHardy
ABowman
MManningham
HDouglas
DThomas

marchetta

Reaction score
silverbear;1908253 said:

1-- Darren McFadden -- Only negatives are his maturity level and those skinny legs.

2a-- Rashard Mendenhall -- Runs like a bigger version of JJ (his rookie year)

2b-- Felix Jones -- Has more speed than Ray Rice, but less wiggle.

4-- Ray Rice -- My favorite RB. Has it all, except for elite speed. He's faster than Emmitt, but I think Dallas will be looking for a RB with game breaking speed to complement MBIII.

5-- Jonathon Stewart -- Power and Speed. However, some question his toughness.

6-- Chris Johnson -- Has the potential to develop into a Brian Westbrook type RB if he puts on weight. Has the same skills, size, and ability as Westbrook did when he came out. Has great speed. Will be a 3rd down RB his 1st year, but could be an every-down RB if he gains weight during the offseason like Westbrook did. Also, must get tougher (many scouts question his toughness) and not fumble as often.

7-- Steve Slaton -- Great 3rd down RB. But will never be a feature RB. Doesn't have the frame of a NFL #1 RB. Will cause matchup nightmares when he's lined up in the slot against a safety or LB.

8-- Jamaal Charles -- Built like a slot WR. Doesn't have a NFL RB body, despite his listed size. Just looks too skinny to me. JMO.

9-- Kevin Smith -- Overated RB, but has nice size and is a downhill runner. However, he's slow to the LOS, so he's going to have to be in a system that features a FB.

silverbear

Reaction score
hendog;1908268 said:
Hey Silverbear how do you see the WR's ranking at the top?

I like Jackson for his speed and return abilities.
MKelly
JHardy
ABowman
MManningham
HDouglas
DThomas

OK, let's take an early shot at that position, too... got another Dirty Dozen for ya, and again, the ones I like the most will be in bold font:

1-- DeSean Jackson... likely top 10 or 15 pick, explosive kick returner, I worry about his frail build...

2-- Malcolm Kelly... mid first round pick...

3-- Early Doucet... mid to late first round pick...

4-- Adarius Bowman-- late first round pick...

5-- Limas Sweed... late first/early second round pick... rises up draft boards after he runs at the combine or at his Pro Day workout... one of my favorite receivers in this draft...

6-- James Hardy... early second round pick... might wind up bulking up and moving to TE...

7-- Mario Manningham... mid second round pick...

8-- Andre Caldwell... mid to late second round pick... brother of Reche Caldwell...

9-- Devin Thomas... late second/early third round pick... is rising up the boards, might wind up higher rated than this before it's all said and done...

10-- DJ Hall... another late second/early third round pick... like Thomas, is rising up draft boards these days...

11-- Donnie Avery... third round pick... another highly effective kick returner, a "speed" receiver...

12-- Marcus Thomas... third round pick... most draft boards have him rated a lot lower than this, this is just a hunch of mine, that he'll shoot up the draft boards in the coming weeks... really like this kid...

I'd really, really like Kelly, but think he'll be off the board before the Boys pick... so I'd use that second first round pick for either Bowman (if he's still on the board), or Sweed... if both are gone by then, look at Avery or Thomas in the third round, maybe Hall if he slips that far...

silverbear

Reaction score
And before anybody asks, my top CBs for the 08 draft... favorites are again listed in bold font:

1-- Mike Jenkins... likely top 20 pick...

2-- Aqib Talib... another likely top 20 pick...

3-- Antoine Cason-- mid to late first rounder...

4-- Justin King... late first/early second rounder...

5-- Jake Ikeggwuonu... second rounder...

6-- Leodis McKelvin... second rounder... IMO, more of a prospect as a KR than as a CB...

7-- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie... mid to late second rounder... needs to bulk up...

8-- Trae Williams... late second/early third rounder... very, very fast...

9-- Tracy Porter... third rounder...

10-- Charles Godfrey... third rounder...

11-- Terrell Thomas... third rounder...

12-- Chevis Jackson... third rounder... seems to be a hot name these days, might move further up the board...

13-- Zack Bowman... third rounder... might have been a first rounder, before he got hurt... naturally, the state of his health will affect his final draft grade, but as things stand now, he might be a Chris Canty-style steal late in the third round...

14-- Dwight Lowery... third rounder... an interception machine in college...

I think at this point, I'd try very hard to draft Cason with the Boys' first first round draft pick, then hope that either Bowman or Lowery slides to the third round, and make it two CBs in this draft...

So basically, my dream draft early on (at this time) would look like this-- if the Boys can't finagle a way to draft McFadden:

1a) Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona... 6-0, 186 pounds, 4.5 sec. 40...

1b) Limas Sweed, WR, Texas... 6-5, 216 pounds, 4.5 sec. 40... Adarius Bowman would actually be my first choice, but I don't see Bowman lasting this long...

2) Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida... 6-1, 216 pounds, 4.55 sec. 40... the Boys could go with the ultrafast Chris Johnson from East Carolina as an option here, he'd be a nice scat-back complement for Barber...

3) Zack Bowman, CB, Nebraska... 6-2, 200 pounds, 4.5 sec. 40... alternatively, Dwight Lowery from San Jose State...

4) Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia... 6-3, 260 pounds, 4.8 sec. 40...

5) Doug Legursky, C, Marshall... 6-3, 316 pounds, 5.0 second 40... Fernando Velasco from Georgia is another big C/G type who would probably be on the board at this point... I want a bigger, more physical backup for Andre Gurode, and there are a number of good, big centers in this draft (Robbie Krutilla from Western Michigan comes to mind, at this point he looks like a 6th or 7th round pick)...

If Schmitt's stock continues to rise, I'd move him up to the third round... this is especially true if the Boys were to draft Kevin Smith, who is best utilized as a true tailback in the I formation, running behind a true FB... I think that Barber would also enjoy having a bulldozing FB like Schmitt in front of him, too...