McGinn: 2016 NFL Draft Outlook

RS12

Reaction score
AS GOOD AS GONE (11)
Laremy Tunsil*, T, Mississippi: 6-5, 310. Started 28 games at left tackle. "Outstanding athlete," one scout said. "Long arms. Moves well. He played against some of the best pass rushers in college football and shut them down. Tough." Doesn't work to finish blocks on a consistent basis. "He might be a little lighter on his feet than (Ronnie) Stanley," a second scout said. Top-five pick.

Ronnie Stanley*, T, Notre Dame: 6-6, 312. Junior left tackle. "Good player, but I don't think he's special," said one scout. "He's in the top seven, eight (picks). He's a better player than the Giants took at No. 9 last year (tackle Ereck Flowers)." Not a great worker and doesn't always play hard. Three-year starter (39 games) at LT. "He needs to get stronger," another scout said. "He probably has the best pass set. He's really good technically as a pass blocker. Left tackle." Extremely long arms (35 5/8 inches).

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State: 6-5, 237. Played behind Waupaca's Brock Jensen until 2014. A wrist injury in '15 limited him to just 23 career starts. "He's a big guy with a big arm," said one scout. "The ball gets there. He's not a scrambler per se but he has speed. He might be the most physically talented of the group. Would I be nervous with this guy? Absolutely. But if you have no quarterback at all, what do you got to lose?" Finished with an NFL passer rating of 105.2. Scored 29 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "He's got an arm," another scout said. "But it's such a long way from that level of play to the NFL at any position, let alone quarterback."

Jared Goff*, QB, California: 6-4, 215. Third-year junior with 37 starts. "He might be the most ready," one scout said. "Thing I don't like is his slender build. He did not have a lot of talent around him. Does he have a great arm? No, but it's good enough. I'd be nervous taking him above 10." Posted an NFL passer rating of 98.9. "In terms of arm talent, he'll be like (Jay) Cutler," another scout said. "Skinny kid. Gets hit a bunch. He doesn't see everything. Accuracy is off at times, but he is talented. He can really spin it. Really good feet."

Paxton Lynch*, QB, Memphis: 6-7, 244. Fourth-year junior. "There's stuff he doesn't see but, boy, is he a great athlete for a big guy," one scout said. "He's got good feet and can make all the throws." His NFL passer rating of 93.5 included 110.6 in 2015. "Big production in a lot of games, so-so in some others," another scout said. "Pretty good athlete for a big kid. Excellent size. He's got a big ceiling. It's a weird group of quarterbacks. None of them are just ready-made and none of them show consistency. They're good, solid starters. None of them are Pro Bowl-caliber type quarterbacks. I would take (Jameis) Winston and (Marcus) Mariota over these guys. No question."

Joey Bosa*, DE, Ohio State: 6-5, 269. Third-year junior with 26 sacks and 50½ tackles for loss in 37 starts. "He's a top-three, top-four player," said one scout. "He could be the first pick in the draft. Very strong. Can play the run and he rushes the passer well. Plays with good intensity." Father, John, was a bust (seven sacks in three seasons) as a DE drafted with the 16th pick by Miami in 1987. "He's a little better version of Justin Smith when he came out of Missouri (in 2001)," said another scout. "Little better athlete. Strong, tough guy like that. Good motor."

A'Shawn Robinson*, DT, Alabama: 6-4, 307. Third-year junior. "He doesn't play with the same consistency that (Jarran) Reed does," said one scout. "He's not stiff. He can play 3-technique or 5-technique. I don't like him as a nose because he plays tall." Started 30 of 42 games, finishing with 9 sacks and 22 tackles for loss. Won't turn 21 until next month. "Big run stuffer with pass-rush ability," one scout said.

DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon: 6-7, 291. Started 38 of 54 games. "Comes in and starts," one scout said. "Not as dynamic obviously as Bosa. More of a run-down player for a 3-4 team, but he has some pass rush to him." Finished with 18 sacks and 36 tackles for loss. Wonderlic score of 9. Widely regarded as a better prospect than former Duck DE Arik Armstead, who went 17th last year to the 49ers. "They play a two-gap 3-4 there," said another scout. "He's got a chance to be an impact guy. He kind of plays all across the front." Hands measured an incredible 11¾ inches.

Myles Jack*, ILB, UCLA: 6-1, 245. Third-year junior. "He's the best player in the draft," one scout said. "He's a slam dunk. He can play modern-day football. He ain't never leaving the field." Suffered torn lateral meniscus in practice after the third game last season and immediately left team. Cleared for workouts Jan. 22. Also played extensively as a RB in 2013-'14. "He's a 'will' but he's kind of a freak," said another scout. "You see him walk out to the slot and cover receivers. He can also play in the box. I'm betting he'd go in the first three rounds as a running back. He's a much better player than Shaq Thompson a year ago. Will run in the 4.5s. He can play inside in a 3-4 but that'd be kind of a waste for him."

Jalen Ramsey*, CB-S, Florida State: 6-1, 209. Third-year junior split time between CB and safety. "He could be the first pick," said one scout. "He's going to blow this combine out. He'll run in the 4.3s. Supercompetitive. Very smart. Very long. Very physical." Just three interceptions in 41 starts. "I don't know if the movement's quite there for corner but he can really run and he's athletic and he's smooth," said another scout. "I think he's probably better covering tight ends and backs than walking out."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/2016-nfl-draft-outlook-b99676279z1-370399721.html

RS12

Reaction score
DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon: 6-7, 291. Started 38 of 54 games. "Comes in and starts," one scout said. "Not as dynamic obviously as Bosa. More of a run-down player for a 3-4 team, but he has some pass rush to him." Finished with 18 sacks and 36 tackles for loss. Wonderlic score of 9. Widely regarded as a better prospect than former Duck DE Arik Armstead, who went 17th last year to the 49ers. "They play a two-gap 3-4 there," said another scout. "He's got a chance to be an impact guy. He kind of plays all across the front." Hands measured an incredible 11¾ inches.

Uh oh.

Gaede

Reaction score

Don't like Buckner at all. If we pick him because of his versatility, I'll be very let down.

At 4, we need to gamble on greatness, not just getting someone who fits our scheme right now. To me, that means Wentz, Goff, Jack or Ramsey