McGinn Draft Series - Part 6: Edge

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The four aforementioned edge rushers dominated the poll of 17 scouts asking them to rate their best on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis. A first-place vote was worth 5 points, a second-place vote was worth 4 and so on.

Dallas Turner led with 13 firsts and 74 points. Following, in order, were Jared Verse (61, two), Laiatu Latu (55, two), Chop Robinson (39), Chris Braswell (seven), Bralen Trice (seven), Marshawn Kneeland (six), Brennan Jackson (four) and Jonah Elliss (two).

-

EDGE RUSHERS

1. DALLAS TURNER, Alabama (6-2 ½, 256, 4.43, 1): Third-year junior. “He’s a traditional 3-4 guy,” one scout said. “Some 4-3 teams won’t see him as valuable as 3-4 teams. He has huge pass-rush potential, and I say potential because he wasn’t a dominant pass rusher in college. But the upside, the body type, the length, bend and speed, it’s there. His wow plays are different than the other guys’ wow plays. It just jumps out on tape. Some teams will love his flexibility to play off the ball, to match up and run vertical with tight ends. If you stand him up and move him around he’ll have a lot of value. He has the potential to be the best pass rusher in the draft, but he hasn’t gotten there yet.” His 40 and vertical jump (40 ½ inches) were position-bests. It should be noted that he weighed 247 when he ran the 40 at the combine before scaling 256 at pro day. “He’s the No. 1 overall defensive player in the draft,” a second scout said. “You see some DeMarcus Ware traits in him. But it’s, like, ‘C’mon, man, give us more against the run, give us more every down.’” Others voiced a similar refrain. “He does have too much coast,” said a third scout. “He’ll piss you off. ‘Do it every down, please.’ He’s a top-5 pick when he turns it on. Then you watch him against South Florida (Sept. 16), their left tackle (Donovan Jennings) is a late pick or free agent, he almost shut Turner down. That bothered me.” Finished with 120 tackles (33 ½ for loss), 23 ½ sacks, two forced fumbles and one pass defensed. “I have problems with him because he doesn’t finish and he doesn’t tackle well,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a full-time player if he tackled well. Soft. They (he and Will Anderson) are not even comparable. Anderson played hard, played tough, played the run. This guy against the run, he just catches. He does have explosive takeoff as a pass rusher.” Arms were 34 3/8, hands were 9 7/8. “There’s some rawness there,” a fifth scout said. “What I liked most was in big moments — third and long, tight games — this guy showed up.” From Fort Lauderdale, Fla. “He’ll flash a big play every so often when they stunt him and he comes free,” said a sixth scout. “He just doesn’t have much distinguishing talent and and he’s not really productive. Off the edge he’s not really a silky-smooth moving guy. Against the run he’s not really rugged. Overall, I don’t see it. It’s Alabama. It’s the Alabama gift that keeps on giving.”

2. JARED VERSE, Florida State (6-4, 259, 4.58, 1): Transferred after three seasons from FCS Albany, which was his only scholarship opportunity in spring 2019. “Hard-charging, tough motherf’er,” one scout said. “Gonna be the loudest guy on the field. He went from the little pond to the big pond and it didn’t affect him.” Recorded 10 ½ sacks as a starter at Albany in 2021 before registering 18 in 25 games (22 starts) for the Seminoles. “He has a zero chance you’ll miss on him if he stays healthy,” a second scout said. “He’s steady eddie, similar to the Texas kid (Byron Murphy). He’s not as fast as he ran at the combine because I think he dropped a lot of weight to run that 40 time. He was 254 and ran (4.58). Realistically, he’s a 265-pound guy that will run 4.7, which is plenty good. He’s an ***-kicker. Only thing he doesn’t have that’s a little concerning is he can’t win with just a straight fastball. He’s got to set up his rush on the outside to win. Whether it’s a counter, his hand use, a grab and jerk … you like those guys that win all three ways. Whether it’s just bursting off the edge and bending, going through with power or inside counter. He’s got 2 ½. Great kid.” Finished with 162 tackles (50 ½ for loss), 32 ½ sacks, two forced fumbles and five passes defensed. “The talent, you’ve seen better, but it’s still really good,” a third scout said. “Now you add this guy’s edge and it’s why people are really latching onto this guy. You need guys on your team like that. You need physicality on your roster.” Arms were 33 ½, hands were 9 7/8. His 31 reps on the bench led the position. “Not a top talent but I like the way he played,” a fourth scout said. “He’s rugged. Got a lot of energy. Against the run, he’s got some jolt and energy to him. As a pass rusher, he’s not really a guy trying to beat you off the edge with moves. He’s more, ‘I’m gonna keep coming with second effort.’ Really good at stunts. He’s got a little bit of power, too. He brings it all the time and wears people out. That (Clay Matthews) is a good kind of comparison.” From Berwick, Pa.

3. LAIATU LATU, UCLA (6-4 ½, 267, 4.65, 1): A master of the fine points of sacking quarterbacks. “Thing that stood out to me was he’s got a big-time outside swim and he does everything off it,” one scout said. “As he’s working your edge his feet and lower body are always moving. He’s so damn reactive and always making progress toward the quarterback. He has a plan. He has incredible feel on how he’s going to get there. You have to respect his speed. Then he's got a great long arm (stab) where he leans into your inside number. He walks guys back like they were little boys on some clips. His speed’s going to have to be respected. He’ll get tackles moving.” In November 2020 he suffered a neck injury in practice during his second season at Washington and underwent surgery. He was forced to medically retire in spring 2021. He departed for Westwood in January 2022 after finding a third-party doctor to pass him. Played all 25 games in 2022-’23 “without sticking his neck in the noise,” one scout said. Another executive said: “That’s 100% true. He’s been retrained how not to use his neck. You can see that the way he plays the game … People will get scared about his medical. There will probably be about a third of the league that kind of pulls him off the board because of the neck fusion.” The league’s ban on hip-drop tackles also might affect Latu. “He doesn’t do it as much but that’s kind of how he tackles guys,” a fourth scout said. “Like rugby. He’s not leading with his head. It’s more wrap and pull them down. I don’t know if subconsciously he does that but two months after neck surgery he played club rugby. A professional rugby team wanted to sign him.” Finished with 101 tackles (35 ½ for loss), 24 sacks, five forced fumbles and six passes defensed. “This guy looks like a lawyer in pads,” a fifth scout said. “He’s got kind of wide hips. Not smooth muscled. Not overly long, not overly developed. But he’s got a knack for rushing the passer.” Arms were 32 5/8, hands were 9 5/8. “He’s a little different,” the scout said. “There’s a lot of emotional baggage. There’s certain teams that won’t really care for the personality. This guy’s a little unique. He looks kind of pedestrian but he can shorten the corner. And he always plays hard.” From Sacramento, Calif.

4. CHOP ROBINSON, Penn State (6-3, 255, 4.51, 1): Third-year junior spent 2021 at Maryland and 2022-’23 in Happy Valley. “Love him,” one scout said. “I see Chop every bit as good as Turner. Sky’s the limit. He’s why coaches get paid. Now you’ve got some work to do with him. You get annoyed because he doesn’t have a (lot) of production this year (four sacks, 15 tackles in 10 starts) but he only played 50% of their defensive snaps. They rotate the hell out of guys.” Able to rush equally well from both sides. “Must be an ambidextrous kid,” a second scout said. “I’m telling you, you don’t find that. He’s got a burst off the edge that’s rare. This is one of the few players you will ever see that can slip and dip and make the L move at the proper angle and depth of the quarterback, and he can do it from the left and right sides. And he can play the run. He’s not a hit-and-shed guy. He’s an escape guy. He runs off blocks. He doesn’t defeat blocks but he’s so quick and athletic he doesn’t have to beat on ‘em. He can escape and pursue down the line. This is what everybody’s looking for.” His 10-8 broad jump tied for the longest at the position. “He’s sudden, explosive, plays his *** off,” a third scout said. “Michigan couldn’t block him; they couldn’t even get their hands on him. That’s exactly why they started running the ball every play.” Started 11 of 35 games, finishing with 60 tackles (20 for loss), 11 ½ sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes defensed. “This Chop Robinson is the most overrated player in the draft,” a fourth scout said. “The comp is Bryce Huff. He’s the perfect example of a guy running a (fast) 40-yard dash. The way he’s being talked about, I thought they were talking about Lawrence Taylor. It makes no sense to me. If you told me third or fourth round, I’d get it. But first round? He's not even very big. Michigan ran right at that kid and he had no answer.” Arms were 32 ½, hands were 9 1/8. “He’s like Myles Garrett,” said a fifth scout. “He has the most potential but he doesn’t finish. He just doesn’t make plays.” From Gaithersburg, Md. “He reminded me of Haason Reddick and that (Arnold) Ebiketie that came out of Penn State (second round, 2022) and has been doing well at Atlanta,” a sixth scout said. “You talk about getting off the ball and flattening the edge. Whoa. He can do it. Rare get-off.”

5. BRALEN TRICE, Washington (6-3 ½, 259, 4.70, 2): Voted the Huskies’ defensive MVP two years in a row. “He’s a freakin’ hard-charging, makes-plays guy,” one scout said. “He’s near the top of the category.” Compared by one scout to Joe Tryon-Shoyinka, the former Washington edge who was drafted No. 32 by Tampa Bay in 2021. “Trice and Verse are very similar in that you just love the way they play,” he said. “Rugged, strong at the point of attack, works his hands really well. In space, he doesn’t have that top agility and explosiveness. More of a power dude. Just keeps working. Can play different positions along the line. He’s a solid player, not a difference-maker.” Ran the 4.70 at the combine weighing 245 before putting on 14 pounds by pro day. “His game is the opposite of Latu’s,” a third scout said. “Latu was finesse and speed and hang usage where Trice is more down the line power rusher and more physical.” Arms were 32 ½, hands were 9. “The overall workout and movement didn’t fire you up,” said a fourth scout. “He’s a very good run player setting the edge and knocking you back. In the pass game, he’s extremely violent running stunts. This guy has the power just like Latu but you’re going to have tackles that can just sit on him. Yeah, he has a good get-off, but it’s not anything more than that. He doesn’t have quite the juice where I (a tackle) has to get on his horse and stay connected to this guy. I just don’t know if it’s gonna translate because he’s not a real big guy and he’s not super long.” Finished with 101 tackles (28 ½ for loss) and 18 sacks. “Big thumper,” a fifth scout said dismissively. “Fifth or sixth round.” From Phoenix.

6. MARSHAWN KNEELAND, Western Michigan (6-3, 264, 4.77, 2): Redshirted in 2019 before starting 23 of 37 games from 2020-’23. “He’s not a great athlete by any means but he’s got outstanding motor,” one scout said. “He’s a better athlete than the Missouri kid (Darius Robinson) but he’s not nearly as powerful or big. The relentlessness he plays with will allow him to succeed. For 4-3 teams he definitely has the size to play with his hand on the ground. For 3-4 teams they probably can live with his athleticism. The Senior Bowl stuff was good enough. His tape wasn’t as good as Maxx Crosby’s coming out but after watching him against similar schools (in the Mid-American Conference) it had a little bit of that feel even though they have a different style of play. Mostly because of the motor and the constant disruption.” His 4.18 short shuttle led the position. “He could be an (NFL) starter,” said a second scout. “Love his bull rush. He played well against Iowa, Syracuse, Mississippi State. He took over the game against Eastern Michigan, for whatever that’s worth. Just blows **** up.” Lightly recruited out of west Michigan, he finished with 149 tackles (28 for loss) and 13 sacks. Arms were 34 ½, hands were 9 1/8. “His run game stuff stuck out,” said a third scout. “Strong edge-setter. Plays with his hair on fire. Chases the football. Very good physicality. He's a good enough rusher where he can give you something on third down. You don’t want to draft base (defense) guys. This guy’s going to be a hell of a run player knocking people back.” From Grand Rapids.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
7. CHRIS BRASWELL, Alabama (6-3 ½, 259, 4.63, 2-3): Fourth-year junior. Assumed Will Anderson’s position in 2023. “He was the No. 2 rusher behind Dallas Turner,” said one scout. “This guy is undervalued because of it. A guy like this gets to the league and because their makeup and toughness and style of play is so good they ascend. I think that’s what Braswell’s gonna be. He is not as flexible and doesn’t have the bend and the wow, but this is a really good football player. Really good get-off and quickness, strong at the point.” Finished with 76 tackles (16 for loss), 11 sacks and four forced fumbles. Arms were 33 ¼, hands were 9 3/8. “He’s got some smoke in his play,” another scout said. “He’s a highly intense player. He aligns in two-, three- and four-point stances. He can disrupt plays and the game plan.” From Baltimore. “He is nothing,” a third scout said. “Rotates in and out. He’s stiff. Got nothing on the edge. Heavy-footed. When he’s out in space he cannot do that. The sacks he had are more just effort when stuff is going on. I have him as a backup-special teams effort talent.”

8. JONAH ELLISS, Utah (6-2, 243, no 40, 2-3): Third-year junior. “I’m not going to compare him to Ryan Kerrigan because he was a hell of a player,” one scout said. “But he does remind me of Kerrigan where he knows exactly what he’s good at, he’s got a plan, he’s under control all the time, he’s just skilled. Normally a guy like that you’d say he’ll be a sub rusher. I think he’s a three-down player because he’s just as technically good in the run game.” Part of the ultimate NFL family. The father, Luther, was a Pro Bowl DT from 1995-’04 primarily with the Lions and now coaches DTs at Utah. Older brothers Kaden, Christian and Noah all played or are playing in the NFL. “His dad would have liked him to stay in school,” another scout said. “He felt it was time to strike while the iron was hot. I like the kid as a designated rusher type. He’s got a really good get-off and uses his hands well. You’d like to see more power in his game. He’s got to get better taking on tackles and combo blocks against the run.” Underwent surgery to repair a labrum in his shoulder, sat out the final three games and still didn’t feel comfortable running a 40 this spring. “I’m a fan,” a third scout said. “He got his shoulder hurt during the season and he was sort of compromised there. He continued to play. He was leading the nation in sacks for about the first month and then it’s just been downhill.” Started 18 of 35 games, finishing with 78 tackles (23 for loss) and 16 sacks. “`No wonder he’s a good player,” said a fourth scout. “Luther was a very good player. When you play at Utah you’ve got to be a tough kid. I know that coach (Kyle Whittingham) and knew his dad (Fred). You have to be tough to play for him. Tough mentality.” His 3-cone (6.69) and hand size (10 1/2) led the position. Arms were 33. “He’s undersized and not very long,” a fifth scout said. “That’s what’s holding me back. I think he may get overdrafted. He’s more of a Day 3 wave pass-rush guy. Setting an edge, playing with violence and physicality, that’s not his thing. And his dad looks like he could still play.” From Moscow, Idaho.

9: ADISA ISAAC, Penn State (6-4 ½, 253, 4.70, 2-3): Spent five years with the Nittany Lions, redshirting in 2021 after blowing out an Achilles that August. “His stock’s kind of rising,” one scout said. “Good athlete — really good athlete. Bender, can run. Not as fast as Chop (Robinson) but he’s fast. Done a really nice job of improving every year. Great kid. All his siblings are special needs. He had to grow up fast. He’s gonna make it. He’ll end up starting for somebody.” Started opposite Robinson in 2023, his second year as a regular. “His first-step explosion is some of the best in the draft,” a second scout said. “He’s got hips so he can bend around the corner. Setting the edge in the run game was a little inconsistent for a big body. Outstanding lateral range chasing the football. Very good toughness and competes. Better rusher than run game.” Finished with 92 tackles (31 ½ for loss) and 14 ½ sacks. Arms were 33 7/8, hands were 9 5/8. “He’s not strong enough for D-end and not athletic enough for linebacker,” a third scout said. “The production he has is just kind of scheme when they stunt or move him around. I didn’t see much from him at all.” From Brooklyn, N.Y.

10. AUSTIN BOOKER, Kansas (6-4 ½, 253, 4.79, 3): Third-year sophomore with perhaps the thinnest resume in the draft. Played in 18 games, starting one. “I think he probably came out because the defensive side of the (draft) is lighter,” one scout said. “Shouldn’t have. You may not be able to count on him immediately. He’s a really, really interesting guy. He can be a designated rusher in a 4-3. He can be a 3-4 outside backer. Plays hard. Fourth round for sure, some might see him in the third based on talent level and upside.” Spent his first two seasons at Minnesota, redshirting in 2021 and making two tackles in ’22. “Skinny guy — really skinny legs,” a second scout said. “He is active and nasty. Got explosiveness off the edge. Not built for the run game the way he’s built but he kills tight ends. Out in space he has explosive speed to close. Really talented dude.” Finished with 58 tackles (13 for loss) and eight sacks. Arms were 33 7/8, hands were 9 ¼. “Everybody will be scared of the person,” said a third scout. “He’s been entitled since he got there. He was a transfer. Position coach didn’t like him. Athleticism is off the charts. The ‘but’ is the 40. That’s why he gets bumped down.” From Greenwood, Ind.

11. JALYX HUNT, Houston Christian (6-3 ½, 251, 4.63, 3): A late bloomer, he spent three years in the Ivy League at Cornell playing as a backup safety. Transferred to Houston Christian (formerly Houston Baptist) in 2022 and was moved to outside linebacker. Was named defensive player of the year in the Southland Conference in ’23. “He’s third round off of athleticism alone,” one scout said. “He’s got a ton of potential. He may end up being like DeMarcus Ware. He has no f--kin’ clue but is he gifted.” Ran fast, posted a vertical jump of 37 ½ and his 10-8 broad jump tied for the best among the edge rushers. “He’s interesting,” said another scout. “He’ll be a guy somebody has to find a home for because of the multiplicity of things he can do. You’ve got to find one. If he gets typecast in the wrong thing he could struggle a little bit. He can do a lot of things but he isn’t overly instinctive or well-versed in any one thing.” Finished with 162 tackles (20 ½ for loss) and 13 ½ sacks, five forced fumbles and six passes defensed. Arms were 34 3/8, hands were 10. “I don’t know how high he’s gonna go,” a third scout said. “With those guys, people gamble on the traits all the time. He and Xavier Thomas probably have the most rare athletic traits at that position on the back end.” From DeBary, Fla.

12. MOHAMED KAMARA, Colorado State (6-1 ½, 249, 4.59, 3-4): Two-year starter had 13 sacks in 2023. “Hard ***, inner city, beat your ***, got a great takeoff,” said one scout. “That’s how he’s gonna win.” Shortest of the top 25 edge rushers and also has the smallest hands (8 5/8). “Maybe the fastest, most active hands in the whole draft,” said another scout. “His hands are lightning, and he knows how to use ‘em. I do think his role right out of the gate is just rolling him on the field in sub and tell him to go rush the quarterback. He may latch onto a DPR (designated pass rusher) role for a long time. The NFL’s 70% sub, anyways.” Started 33 of 49 games over five seasons, finishing with 179 tackles (45 ½ for loss) and 30 ½ sacks. “He’ll end up being a good pro,” a third scout said. “He might get overlooked in the draft. He may not have ideal size or whatever but he just knows how to rush the passer.” From Newark, N.J.

OTHERS: Brennan Jackson, Washington State; Cedric Johnson, Mississippi; Jaylen Harrell, Michigan; Xavier Thomas, Clemson; Eric Watts, Connecticut; Javontae Jean-Baptiste, Notre Dame; Braiden McGregor, Michigan; Gabriel Murphy, UCLA; Nelson Ceaser, Houston; Myles Cole, Texas Tech; Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Washington; Eyabi Okie-Anoma, Charlotte; Javon Solomon, Troy; David Ugwoegbu, Houston.

UNSUNG HERO
Cedric Johnson, Mississippi: Three-year starter with 19 sacks. Won the 2023 Chucky Mullins Courage Award for being the Ole Miss defensive player that embodied courage, leadership, perseverance and determination. Johnson (6-3, 261, 4.62) ran fast and posted a 38-inch vertical jump at the combine. “Has the physical tools to cause problems but he leans toward being an underachiever,” said one scout. “He’s a fast and athletic edge guy that has strength and toughness. He was more rusher than run player.”

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
Eyabi Okie-Anoma, Charlotte: Played just two years of high-school football in Baltimore but after a 22-sack senior season he vaulted to the No. 4 recruit nationally. Played 2018 at Alabama before being thrown off. Played 2019 at Houston before being thrown off. Spent 2020-’21 at Tennessee-Martin before following his high-school coach, Biff Poggi, to Michigan where he was an assistant. Played 14 games with 2 ½ sacks for the Wolverines’ national semifinal team in 2022. When Poggi was named head coach at Charlotte in 2023 he followed him there. In 48 games (18 starts), Okie-Anoma (6-4 ½, 262, no 40) has 14 sacks. “I just can’t see him getting drafted,” said one scout. “If you take him, you’ve got to hire Biff because Biff is basically like his surrogate dad. He’s enabled him so much, too. This kid has talent but there’s no amount of money you could give me to say, ‘Hey, would you trust him to come into your building?’ F--k, no.”

QUOTE TO NOTE
NFC executive: “They always say, ‘You’re productive in the pros, then you were productive in college.’ But if you’re productive in college doesn’t mean you’ll be a good pro. There aren’t many guys that were not productive in college that turn out to be good.”

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I agree with all the Dallas Turner smack talk. I honestly think he's very comparable to Chop as a prospect... similar skillsets, Turner had the splash plays but not the consistency, Chop got consistent pressure but didn't make the tackles. The Nick Saban seal of quality will get Turner taken earlier than he probably should.

The scouts' description of Jared Verse is picture-perfect too. "You like those guys that win all three ways. Whether it’s just bursting off the edge and bending, going through with power or inside counter. He’s got 2 ½." I'm stealing that line.