McGinn Draft Series - Part 7: LB

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sixteen executives agreed to rank their top linebackers on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis, with a first-place vote worth 5 points, a second-place vote worth 4 and so.

Payton Wilson led with nine firsts and 68 ½ points. Following, in order, were Edgerrin Cooper (63, six), Junior Colson (40), Cedric Gray (29 ½, one), Jeremiah Trotter (12), Trevin Wallace (4 ½), Tyrice Knight (four), Edefuan Ulofoshio (four), Jaylan Ford (three), Nathaniel Watson (three), Ty’Ron Hopper (2 ½), Tommy Eichenberg (two), Jordan Magee (two), Steele Chambers (one) and Marist Liufau (one).

“There’s nobody that I’m, like, really fired up about,” an AFC personnel man said. “I don’t see anybody sure-fire. I’m just not fired up about the group.”

-

LINEBACKERS

1. PAYTON WILSON, North Carolina State (6-4, 236, 4.46, 2): Injuries that wrecked his freshman season of 2018 and another in 2021 cloud his immense potential. “He’s got no ACL,” said one scout. “He’s had a bunch of injuries. At one point he was on the verge of walking away from football. Now he’s the Butkus, the Bednarik winner. He can really run. He can fly. But he doesn’t have particularly long arms for somebody with his height.”

His arms were just 30 ½ inches, one of the shortest measurements at the position. “He could play every position in a 4-3 or a 3-4,” a second scout said. “He’ll be a green dot guy. He’s brilliant. He literally has everything. Jack Campbell is a good player but this guy is much more gifted. If this was 1998 he'd be a top-10 pick. He makes plays in the run game, he makes plays in the box, makes plays in space. His deal is the medical. He’s got a bad shoulder and a bad knee. It’s just a matter of how your medical (staff) sees it.” Suffered a torn right ACL as a senior in high school before having another surgery on the same knee about a year later. Underwent surgery on both shoulders in early 2021. Needed another shoulder surgery that fall. Missed two games with another shoulder problem in 2022 but played all 12 games in 2023. “Love the way he played,” a third scout said. “He’s all over the place. Excellent instincts and motor. He’s really lean. I can see why he gets hurt all the time. He’s always in the action.” Finished with 402 tackles (48 for loss), 15 sacks, one forced fumble, 20 passes defensed and seven interceptions. “Even though he’s straight-line fast he’s just a good athlete,” said a fourth scout. “He’s got some tightness that shows up when he plays in base. Has the highest instincts I saw this year. Dude flies around and plays balls-out all the time. Very good toughness. Blue-collar, dirty work. Love him. It’s just the concern of staying healthy, and he’s not a special athlete. The hips are just a little bit tight and he’s not real long.” From Hillsborough, N.C. “Early in my career I did have a lot of injuries but these last two years I’ve stayed really healthy,” Wilson said at the combine. “I’ve put on some extra weight (and) really honed in on nutrition and maintenance programs to keep me healthy.” He was 24 Sunday. “His makeup is exactly what you want out of everybody,” a fourth scout said. “Plays his absolute tail off. He’s got range and speed, he can cover and he’s a leader. It’s tough to find guys that have all of that. Now it’s just how often will he be on the field.”

2. EDGERRIN COOPER, Texas A&M (6-2, 299, 4.55, 2): Two-year starter at weak-side LB. “I think he’s a top-15 player,” said one scout. “It’s just the (low) value of the position. He does everything. Nasty and explosive. He covers, blitzes. He’ll take on. He can chase and he’s fast. Really fun to watch. He plays like he can (run the defense). His instincts are outstanding. He’s taller and longer than Roquan (Smith). He’s like Devin Lloyd in that they played him all over the place.” Posted eight of his 8 ½ career sacks in 2023. “He’s the best (linebacker) by far because he can rush the passer, too,” a second scout said. “He played 7-technique sometimes. Has upfield dip. As an inside backer he timed his blitzes. You see him downfield (covering) backs on wheels.” Finished with 204 tackles (30 ½ for loss), three forced fumbles, two picks and 10 passes defensed. “He can’t wear the green dot,” said a third scout. “Not a bad kid at all. He’s just a country kid that came from a poor, poor family upbringing, and he doesn’t know that he doesn’t know.” Late in the season, his girlfriend was killed in an accident as she was riding an ATV. “If people aren’t worried about things he’ll go high because he jumps off the tape,” said a third scout. “Just seems to be involved in every play. He’s a little skinny-legged guy. Plays a little light. I didn’t feel great about the legginess – having to change directions in space. Mid-round guy.” Arms were 34, the longest among the top 15 at the position. “The hangup is, is he able to handle it mentally?” said a fourth scout. “I think he’ll be just like (Devin) White. He’s going to be unorthodox. He’s not going to always play it like the coach wants. But with these quarterbacks these days and when they get out of the pocket, man, you need a guy that can shadow those guys and go get ‘em when the time comes. He can do that as good as anybody. He’s probably got the best close to the football of anybody, even Dallas Turner. His deal isn’t going to be taking on blockers. This guy is a low-wrap tackler where he is going to get you on the ground. He can fly sideline to sideline and scrape as good as anybody in the draft.” Weighed 218 when the Aggies began the season. Was 230 at the combine, 229 at pro day. “He may be close (to a bust) because he’s a mental midget,” said a fifth scout. “But he can do some things where you’re, ‘Wow.’” From Covington, La.

3. JUNIOR COLSON, Michigan (6-2, 238, no 40, 203): Third-year junior. “Kind of a straight-line, run and go get ‘em type of guy,” one scout said. “He can run. I would have thought low 4.5s. Better against the run than the pass but he’s not a liability there. He has the physical tools to play on all three downs. Looks to slip more than take on blocks … He couldn’t wear it (green dot) right away. He didn’t make the calls for them. They came from the sideline. He’d need to be in a system a little bit to pick that up.” Came to the U.S. from his native Haiti at age 9. “Smart, instinctive, runs well,” a second scout said. “He’s had some hamstring issues, that’s for sure. Learning how to be a leader. He’s got a chance to be pretty good but he’s got to stay healthy. Mid-rounds.” Led the Wolverines’ playoff teams in tackles as a sophomore and junior. “I thought he was OK,” a third scout said. “Didn’t see any distinguishing movement, speed, athletic ability. He kind of gets in there and gives it his all. I just thought the guy was sluggish and had no twitch to him.” Finished with 257 tackles (8 ½ for loss) with 2 ½ sacks, no forced fumbles, no interceptions and five passes defensed. “I think he’s a green dot,” said a fourth scout. “I think he'd run 4.6. (Very) tough with very good instincts. His zone drops were outstanding. His physicality and stackability … this guy can take on blocks. I think he could go late second round.” From Brentwood, Tenn. “He was really disappointing,” said a fifth scout. “Talk about stiff. The year before (2022) I thought he was going to be a good player. This year, he played high, he was stiff, he’s not instinctive. His drops were where he had all kinds of problems. He doesn’t take on blockers well. He’s just so tight.” Played along Michael Barrett on the inside, and a sixth scout remarked there were times Barrett outplayed him. “He’s instinctually really good,” he said. “Has a nice feel. Just OK (tough). He’s a little bit of a slow processor. No, he’s not wearing the green dot.”

4. CEDRIC GRAY, North Carolina (6-1 ½, 241, 4.64, 3): Three-year starter on the weak side. “He’s not a sexy pick but you’re getting a hell of a football player,” one scout said. “You talk about production. He’s always around the football getting the guy on the ground. I know some people will poke holes in the athleticism. He’s a good athlete, and I love the way he plays. In my findings, a guy like this will just continue to be productive. He’s not going to light the world on fire but you’ll be damned glad you got him. He’s absolutely a green dot.” Led the Tar Heels in tackling for three straight years. “I thought he would run better,” a second scout said. “I thought he was low 4.5. Like the athlete. He was a high-school safety, and that athleticism and speed showed. He’s not like a prototype starting Day 1 (player) but he’ll be starting real soon.” Finished with 369 tackles (30 for loss), 8 ½ sacks, six forced fumbles, five interceptions and 18 passes defensed. “He’s really instinctive, productive and a pretty good cover guy,” a third scout said. “He’ll come in as a backup and probably ends up winning a starting job. I didn’t see enough physicality at the point of attack to feel good about him as a starter. I like the coverage skills and the play in space. Those are things I respected in him.” From Charlotte.

5. JEREMIAH TROTTER, Clemson (6-0, 226, 4.81, 3-4): Third-year junior. “I question his speed,” one scout said. “But all he does is make plays.” He put off running the 40 at the combine and then flopped at pro day running a 4.81. “He ain’t getting drafted because he can’t run,” a second scout said sounding only halfway serious. His father, Jeremiah, was the Eagles’ third-round pick in 1998 as an imposing middle linebacker from Stephen F. Austin. He was 6-0 1/2 and 261, ran 4.67 and made four Pro Bowls. “He’s not his dad,” a third scout said. “He’s got his dad’s height and after that he didn’t get anything. Just a small, try-hard guy. The dad didn’t really have instincts. He was just a physical specimen. The son isn’t instinctive. He doesn’t have compensating athletic ability and movement, speed, burst and strength for his size. He’s going to have a hard time.” A two-year starter, he finished with 195 tackles (29 ½ for loss), 13 sacks, three forced fumbles, four picks and 16 passes defensed. “His dad was a big, strong, thumping get-your-*** ‘mike’,” a fourth scout said. “This guy’s a nice backup and maybe he starts for a team that doesn’t have a lot of depth … You look at his coverage, it’s above average. In the run game, he gets knocked around. The goal is not to get locked up with a 330-pound guard. Once this guy has to take on front-five players he gets swallowed up. He cannot get disengaged. At some point, you’ve got to get off blocks. He’ll be a backup because he’s a smart player.” From Hainesport, N.J.

6. TREVIN WALLACE, Kentucky (6-1, 237, 4.52, 3-4): Third-year junior. “Trotter doesn’t have the speed to avoid (blockers),” said one scout. “This guy will be like lightning in a bottle. If he locks on (with blockers), yeah, it will be a problem. But it’s not going to happen very often because he’s going to be gone before they get there. That’s the kind of close he’s got. They’re going to cover this guy up and protect him (from blocks) and he’s going to run all over the field and make plays. Really good tackler.” Two-year starter on the weak side. “At the school they swear this guy’s like a big-time player, big-time talent,” said another scout. “Height-weight-speed and all that. You watch the tape and he’s kind of a step off here, a step off there. Loses the ball, not quite in position. Then you see he streaks to the ball outside and if it’s clear air he’ll make a tackle. He tests really well just like they said. You’re getting a young player (was 21 in February) and you’re hoping that the traits can be developed.” Starting 19 of 36 games, he finished with 166 tackles (18 for loss), 10 sacks, two forced fumbles, two picks and four passes defensed. “He’s supposed to be this workout athletic freak,” a third scout said. “He’s a slow-blink guy. He gets caught up and blocked on almost every play. He doesn’t slip and dip (blockers). You don’t see burst of change of direction. He gives decent enough effort and is well-built but I didn’t see much talent.” From Jesup, Ga.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
7. EDEFUAN ULOFOSHIO, Washington (6-0 ½, 237, 4.54, 3-4): Began career as a walk-on in 2018 before being awarded a scholarship after the 2019 season. “High character guy,” said one scout. “Kid’s always in the (UW football) building. Has aspirations of going to medical school. When you interviewed other Washington players and asked them who’s the most disciplined or the hardest worker they say this kid. Plays with effort. Above average athlete. Bit of an overachiever. He’s wired right. Before he tested well I’d say he was fifth-sixth (round). Now who knows? He could go fourth.” Underwent surgery to repair a torn biceps in October 2021 and another for a torn ACL in early 2022. Started just 27 games in six years, and 15 came in 2023 for the national runnersup. “Two years ago, in ’21, I thought he was going to be a top prospect,” a second scout said. “He has speed and range but he didn’t play very good this year.” Finished with 251 tackles (15 for loss), seven sacks, five forced fumbles, one pick and nine passes defensed. His vertical jump of 39 ½ inches led the position. “Eddie will run and test and look better on paper than maybe the way he played,” said a third scout. “He can flat-out run. He’s a great young man. His instincts are a little bit off but he’ll die trying.” From Anchorage, Alaska.

8. TOMMY EICHENBERG, Ohio State (6-2 ½, 235, no 40, 4): Five-year player, two-year starter and two-time captain. “For a 3-4 (team) he could start,” one scout said. “He’s a ‘mike’ who can run the show. He’s got toughness and size. There are limitations against the pass.” Made the All-Big Ten first team in 2022 and ’23. “Gosh, talk about getting knocked … that Michigan game he got displaced on some stuff,” another scout said. “There was a lot of hype. I waited for him to kick *** and he didn’t. He’s a good player but he’s not (James) Laurinaitis.” Finished with 266 tackles (21 for loss), 3 ½ sacks, one forced fumble, two picks and seven passes defensed. “Good football player — just not talented at all,” a third scout said. “Plays his nuts off. Makes a lot of tackles he has no business making. But he’s one-dimensional. He’s a two-down player only.” His brother, Liam, played at Notre Dame and was the Dolphins’ second-round pick in 2021 as an offensive lineman. “In space he really struggles,” a fourth scout said. “With teams playing four and five wide receivers a linebacker must be able to play in space. Sooner or later he’ll have to pick up one. He can’t do it. I wouldn’t even draft him.” Declined to run a 40 at the combine, then said he couldn’t run at pro because of a hamstring injury. From Cleveland.

9. JORDAN MAGEE, Temple (6-1 ½, 232, 4.58, 4-5): Underwent surgery for a torn biceps in November but still ran the 40 and did the jumps at the combine. Came back at pro day with a short shuttle of 4.16, best at the position. “I’m a fan of his game,” said one scout. “He’s a good run-and-hit ‘will’ linebacker. Good physical traits. He’s a little inconsistent; he misses tackles. But he’s a really good football player. I think he’ll develop into being a starter.” Played quarterback in high school but quickly moved to defense by the Owls. “He tested way better than what he shows you on film,” a second scout said. “The 40 time shocked me. He does have some stiffness. Great kid. He’s tough.” Finished with 235 tackles (31 for loss), eight sacks, two forced fumbles, one pick and 11 passes defensed. “I had some issues with his instincts but he would fly around, chase, hit,” said a third scout. “More hustle than physicality, but the physicality’s fine. Very unaware in zone coverages. Looks lost at times. Doesn’t really have a feel for what they’re doing.” From Dover, Del.

10. JD BERTRAND, Notre Dame (6-1, 235, no 40, 4-5): Three-year starter at middle linebacker. “I don’t have him as a starter but some people really like him,” said one scout. “Average size, excellent instincts, plays hard in the run game. He was just too stiff to play in coverage. He’s always going to be in the right spot. Diagnoses quickly. He’s fast enough to run with his guy but at the top of routes he’ll give up some separation.” Three-year starter, leading the team in tackles three times. “If Drue Tranquill can play, this guy can play,” said a second scout. “He’s a much better player than Eichenberg. He is a football player.” Finished with 266 tackles (23 for loss), six sacks, two forced fumbles, no picks and nine passes defensed. His arms (30 5/8) were the shortest of the top 15 linebackers. “He’s a green dot,” a third scout said. “He’s not an ideal starter. He’s more like a really good backup. But those guys end up playing whether because of injuries or just over time.” From Alpharetta, Ga.

11. CURTIS JACOBS, Penn State (6-1 ½, 243, 4.57, 4-5): A prep wide receiver, he was moved to safety and then linebacker by the Nittany Lions during his freshman year. “Intriguing guy because of the athleticism and the testing,” said one scout. “His ’22 tape was better than ’23. He had some trouble seeing it this year and making consistent tackles. I liked the athlete, though. He does have some upside. I just think he’s going to need a little bit of time within a system to ascend. He’s got starting-level traits: size, strength and movement.” His 10-9 broad jump was the best at the position and his 10 ¼ hands were the largest. “He was a receiver coming in, and he played like an offensive guy,” another scout said. “I don’t want to call him soft but he’s close. He's very disappointing. You want so much more from him because the athlete is good but the football player is, at best, average. Now he’ll have some value because he can play on third down. He might go higher than the sixth just on talent, and there are no linebackers. If he went as high as the fourth it wouldn’t shock me.” A three-year starter on the weak side, he finished with 171 tackles (24 for loss), 9 ½ sacks, one forced fumble, two picks and five passes defensed. From Glen Burnie, Md.

12. NATHANIEL WATSON, Mississippi State (6-2, 234, 4.63, 5): Named Southeastern Conference defensive player of the year in 2023 after making 137 tackles and 10 sacks. “His play strength was very good,” said one scout. “He can stack blocks, physical at the point. He ran good for a guy that’s 235. The toughness stuck out. Always around the football. You can’t ignore the production. I didn’t put the green dot on him. If he’s got to start you’ve got a decent starter.” Three-year starter at middle linebacker. Finished with 376 tackles (35 for loss), 21 sacks, three forced fumbles, two picks and seven passes defensed. “He’s not bad,” said another scout. “He might be a little better than I think. I kind of saw him as a backup all season. He tested OK. Ultimately, he’ll probably find his way into a lineup. He’s got sort of a good edge about him. He is a candidate for the green dot.” From Maplesville, Ala.

OTHERS: Ty’Ron Hopper, Missouri; Jaylan Ford, Texas; Tyrice Knight, Texas-El Paso; Marist Liufau, Notre Dame; Darius Muasau, UCLA; James Williams, Miami; Michael Barrett, Michigan; Steele Chambers, Ohio State; Aaron Casey, Indiana; Kalen DeLoach, Florida State; Jack Sirmon, California; Tatum Bethune, Florida State; Aaron Beasley, Tennessee.

UNSUNG HERO
Michael Barrett, Michigan: Played both offense and defense for two seasons before moving to linebacker full-time in 2020. Barrett (5-11 ½, 232, 4.72) was used in packages in 2020-’21 before starting on the weak side in 2022-’23. Played more games (64) than any player in school history. Made All-Big Ten third team twice. Team captain in 2023; earned a master’s degree. “Undersized, high motor, straight line,” said one scout. “Lacks strength and size around the line of scrimmage in the run game. Potential backup and back-end-of-the-roster guy.” Big-play artist.

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
James Williams, Miami: No. 1 safety recruit in the U.S. in 2021. Started at the hybrid safety position for three seasons before declaring. Williams (6-4, 234, 4.67) is viewed as a linebacker by some teams. Heavily penalized and often injured; off one team’s board. “Not a heavy hitter,” one scout. “Does not play to his size. Misses too many (tackles) in space. Does have good ball skills and awareness. You can go right at him in run or pass.”

QUOTE TO NOTE
NFC executive: “Young scouts get tripped up on this a lot. People see splash run plays and they think that’s instinctive. Really all that is, is just timing the snap and anticipating the play. True instincts are being able to play in space, being able to feel receivers in front, on the side, behind you and anticipating throws. The best way to see instincts is to see guys play in space.”

reddyuta

Reaction score
HARD pass on Wilson,we cannot afford to draft guys with extensive injury history..

Aven8

Reaction score
Been saying for months that my LB pick is Cedric Gray. I don’t think we even brought him in for a visit…..MLB with size ready to go.

And Eichenberg reminds me a tad of Zach Thomas. Measurable’s are meh but both are tackling machines.

RS12

Reaction score
HARD pass on Wilson,we cannot afford to draft guys with extensive injury history..
Add: at 24, at that position, with that injury history, he looks like a one contract player. Would anybody give this player a big 2nd contract at 28?

Bigdog

Reaction score
Knowing all luck he gets injured and becomes like LVE . We pass and goes to Philly, remains healthy and becomes like Randy Moss of lbs

Western

Reaction score
Injuries are concern when drafting, no doubt.
TJ Watt had injury red flags prior to the 2017 draft -- he had surgeries on both knees -- tore ligaments in his knees four times -- two on each leg -- during his first three years at Wisconsin.
Weigh the possibility of injuries vs. the actual recent production on the field -- Payton Wilson's production in 2022 was very solid, and he had a stellar 2023 season.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Add: at 24, at that position, with that injury history, he looks like a one contract player. Would anybody give this player a big 2nd contract at 28?
nah,i wouldnt even use a 2nd RD pick on him.we need to hit on our top 3 picks this year,so no risks at all.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sixteen executives agreed to rank their top linebackers on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis, with a first-place vote worth 5 points, a second-place vote worth 4 and so.

Payton Wilson led with nine firsts and 68 ½ points. Following, in order, were Edgerrin Cooper (63, six), Junior Colson (40), Cedric Gray (29 ½, one), Jeremiah Trotter (12), Trevin Wallace (4 ½), Tyrice Knight (four), Edefuan Ulofoshio (four), Jaylan Ford (three), Nathaniel Watson (three), Ty’Ron Hopper (2 ½), Tommy Eichenberg (two), Jordan Magee (two), Steele Chambers (one) and Marist Liufau (one).

Hey, look. One executive had Liufau the 5th best LB in the class.

Must have been ours.