McGinn Draft Series - Part 8: DBs

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A total of 17 personnel men were asked to rank the top cornerbacks on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis; sixteen ranked the safeties. Scoring was 5 points for a first-place vote, 4 for a second and so forth.

Terrion Arnold led the corners with seven firsts and 66 points. Following, in order, were Quinyon Mitchell (63, three), Nate Wiggins (47, two), Cooper DeJean (31, four), Kool-Aid McKinstry (29, one), Max Melton (six), Kamari Lassiter (five), Ennis Rakestraw (five), Cam Hart (one), Andru Phillips (one) and Mike Sainristil (one).

At safety, it was a chaotic situation, with seven players gaining a first-place vote and 15 players receiving a vote.

Tyler Nubin led with two firsts and 41 points. Following, in order, were Javon Bullard (35, two), Calen Bullock (34, three), Kamren Kinchens (29, two), Cooper DeJean (28, five), Cole Bishop (27), Jaden Hicks (21, one), Tykee Smith (six), Kitan Oladapo (five, one), Malik Mustapha (four), Mike Sainristil (three), Jaylon Carlies (two), Dadrion Taylor-Demerson (two), Sione Vaki (two) and Josh Proctor (one).

-

CORNERBACKS

1. TERRION ARNOLD, Alabama (5-11 ½, 188, 4.51, 1): Redshirted in 2021 and made 21 starts in 2022-’23. “He’s my favorite corner,” said one scout. “He can play safety, nickel, outside corner. Really instinctive, really good at the catch point. He has played against first-round draft picks and played well against them.” Third-year sophomore didn’t run a good 40. “I wish he would have run faster but I think he’s the best pure corner,” said a second scout, adding that Arnold wasn’t close to being as good of a prospect that Sauce Gardner was in 2022. ”He was never out of control. He always got back in phase with guys. His coverage, his tackling, his ball skills … and he’s got feet and hips that are so good. He was an easy one for me. I think he’s great.” Finished with 108 tackles (7 ½ for loss), six picks and 26 passes defensed. “Arnold tries to do too much,” a third scout said. “He doesn’t play within himself. It got him in trouble at Alabama and I think it will get him in trouble in the league until he can get comfortable and settle down. He’s got a lot of talent, but it’s going to take somebody to really work with this kid. He is eminently coachable. It’s going to be a little bit of a work in progress.” A fourth scout described him as a “little immature.” Added a fifth scout: “Really, he’s just learning how to play the position. I don’t think there’s a downside. He checks so many boxes that don’t include his natural athleticism. He’s got leader written all over him. He was a safety at some point so he is (physical).” From Tallahassee, Fla.

2. QUINYON MITCHELL, Toledo (6-0, 198, 4.30, 1): Didn’t play at Toledo in 2019 because of academics before starting 40 of 46 games for the Rockets from 2020-’23. “He’s got speed,” one scout said. “Oakland Raider kind of corner. He is what he is.” On Oct, 8, 2022, he intercepted four passes at Northern Illinois, returning two for touchdowns. “It was a Deion Sanders-type performance,” a second scout said. “I didn’t want to be that high on the guy because of the people he was playing against but he might be the best. If he played at Alabama I’d probably give him a top-10 pick.” Made an impressive practice showing at the Senior Bowl. “When you go back to (2022) and watch him play against Ohio State (a 77-21 loss) he looks much more ordinary than when he was playing Senior Bowl receivers and at Toledo this past year,” said a third scout. “He wasn’t playing against NFL guys. Even at the Senior Bowl there were only a couple that were pretty good. You’re going on traits. He has outstanding movement for his size. He tested extremely well. If someone has a great nickel and is taking an outside corner, I can easily see this guy going before Arnold.” His 20 reps on the bench press led the position. “I was really impressed with him,” said a fourth scout. “Then at the combine it looked like he had never caught a ball in his life. He looked very awkward in his approach to catching the ball.” Finished with 122 tackles (6 ½ for loss), six picks and 52 passes defensed. “He’s got size, speed, quickness, strength,” said a fifth scout. “Only thing that worries you is just the level of guys he was going against consistently. Once he gets used to dealing with other (NFL) guys he’ll be able to do it … He’s willing (to tackle). I don’t know if he was saving himself in certain situations or it was that ‘I’m getting ready to go pro’ deal. Some games you could see him really selling out and other games you could kind of see him going, ‘Maybe next week.’” From Williston, Fla.

3. NATE WIGGINS, Clemson (6-1 ½, 182, 4.29, 1): Fastest corner on the board. “At the top of the stem of the route will be a major issue for him,” said one scout. “That doesn’t translate very well. The guys that lack play strength at that position, if you’re mirroring (Philadelphia’s) A.J. Brown and he snaps off a route and you don’t have play strength, it’s just too hard. He’s a good college player, and obviously teams will draft corners. He’ll go higher than he should. I don’t have conviction on him.” Weighed just 173 at the combine before adding nine pounds for pro day. “I didn’t think he was very physical,” a second scout said. “He’s quick and things like that but he plays small. Boy, he is skinny. He’s got good feet and hips. Can change direction, plays with his eyes, has ball react.” Third-year junior, two-year starter. “Better in press,” said a third scout. “When he presses and uses his size and length he can really run with guys and jam. Off the ball, he’s not a silky movement guy so play to his strengths (press). He needs to turn up his focus. He is competitive. Little bit of panic with his back to the ball but his ball skills are good. Talented guy with a little bit more to give. When he needs to do it (tackle) he’s strong and can, but this is one of those selective dudes.” A fourth scout said maturity showed help his weight and strength. “These guys grow when they get into another environment,” he said. “They’re going to start maturing and then you get heavier.” Finished with 56 tackles (three for loss), three picks and 27 passes defensed. “He improved as the season went along,” a fifth scout said. “There’s upside there. He’s the total package. It’s just a matter if he can match up the mental and the physical for the pro game. He needs some more meat but his quickness, change of direction and speed is good. He’ll be able to match up with pretty much anybody.” From Atlanta. “He’s going to go in the first,” said a sixth scout. “But you know better than anybody, Clemson DBs, there have been some busts now.”

4. COOPER DeJEAN, Iowa (6-0 ½, 202, 4.45, 1): Third-year junior. “He can do a lot of different things,” one scout said. “I like him where he played at Iowa (cornerback). He can do that. Nickel would be a good spot for him. I think there will be teams that have him at safety. Versatility is one of his biggest assets.” His third season ended with a fractured fibula in November. He worked out and tested April 8 in Iowa City, combining the 40 with a 38 ½-inch vertical jump. “That (4.45) was good given what he was coming off of,” a second scout said. “The guy can run. He only trained for a week. He was a sprint champion in the state of Iowa in high school.” Seldom played in 2021 before starting two seasons, primarily on the left outside. “We thought he could do everything,” said a third scout. “I don’t worry about that (playing in Iowa’s zone system) at all. The athlete this guy is, you watch him play basketball …. He’s not bloodthirsty but he’s solid as a tackler in space. Plays well within his speed. He’s a really good natural athlete.” Finished with 120 tackles (five for loss), seven picks and 20 passes defensed. His hands (9 5/8) were the largest of the top 10 corners. “They have the best defensive coordinator (Phil Parker) in college football,” said a fourth scout. “All they do is play zone coverage. He is not going to play outside corner. He’s going to play safety or nickel, but you can’t put him in the safety pile (because) he’s never played safety. He may be more like Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, who played everywhere and turned into a really good safety and a really good nickel even though he can’t stay in the same building for more than one year because he absolutely won’t shut up.” A fifth scout doubted DeJean had “the hips for corner. He’ll struggle against some of the really good route runners.” Added a sixth scout: “You need guys that can play man coverage in the NFL and I’m not sure he’s that guy. The skill set is there. The things you’ve never seen worry you. I think he’ll probably be a better safety. The reason why is you don’t see the burst of a corner and they played zone all the time. He was a linebacker in high school. He’s an enigma in some ways.” From Odebolt, Iowa.

5. KOOL-AID McKINSTRY, Alabama (5-11 ½, 196, 4.52, 1-2): Third-year junior. “I know a lot of people are down on him,” one scout said. “He had a little bit of a down year. He had a little bit of an ‘I’m just getting through this’ kind of year. Kind of like Marvin (Harrison). But you get a big, long corner like those guys that succeed in our league. He can run. He’s got good movement. He’s a little leggy and stiff but he makes up for it with his ability to get up and press guys and mirror routes. He’s a Bama DB, which translates very well to the NFL.” Nicknamed “Kool-Aid” at a very young age. “You see this guy, he’s at Alabama, he’s got a unique name, we better make him a guy,” said a second scout. “We kind of thought he was the most overrated player in the draft. First of all, he’s fat — for a corner. His effort’s real up and down. More smooth than sudden. Really instinctive … that’s kind of his best tool in the kit. Best in press. I didn’t see a great speed guy, and the effort and tackling was inconsistent. Didn’t make a ton of plays on the ball.” Started 33 of 42 games, finishing with 92 tackles (five for loss), two picks and 25 passes defensed. “His weaknesses are warding off blocks in run support and play strength,” a third scout said. “No, no, he’s not timid. Doesn’t have much strength. Everything else he’s got. He’s a very good coverage corner. He’ll have a focus loss and give up a play, but he can be sticky on sudden or abrupt change (of direction) by the receiver.” Average workout at pro day. “I guess he’ll be taken in the first,” a fourth scout said. “I don’t see any distinguishing athletic ability. Good athlete, not great. But really a non-factor (against the run). He doesn’t even float in run support. He just absolutely refused to do anything in run support. I question this guy’s NFL temperament.” From Birmingham, Ala.

6. MAX MELTON, Rutgers (5-11, 185, 4.38, 1-2): Four-year starter. “He’s kind of what you’d expect out of a Rutgers guy,” one scout said. “He’s tough, athletic, competes hard. It’s just a matter where you take him. He’s going to play well, and for a long time. Their top guys always show up. They’re like flies. You can keep swatting at them but here they come.” His 11-4 broad jump led the position. “He was a surprise,” said a second scout. “Really talented athlete. He can really run. Held his own against Marvin (Harrison). Can press and run with guys. Real good in zone coverage. Doesn’t play strong in run (support); at 193 he should be better than he is. There’s a play against Ohio State where he chased that running back (TreVeyon Henderson) down from across the field. It was, like, ‘Whoa.’” Finished with 114 tackles (nine for loss), eight picks and 30 passes defensed. Also blocked four punts. “Little bit better tester than player,” a third scout said. “He’s not ready to be a starter. You’d like him to be your third corner. His problem is controlling his speed. He can get out of control a lot. He’s really inconsistent in coverage. He is tough as f--kin’ nails. His problem is, he’s not big. Kind of a small-frame, small-waisted guy. He will miss some tackles but he’s not afraid. Has an infectious personality. Great locker-room guy. Loves ball. Great family. You get this kid with the right coach, you’d really have something.” From Mays Landing, N.J.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
7. ENNIS RAKESTRAW, Missouri (5-11 ½, 187, 4.56, 2): Started 32 of 36 games over four seasons. “He’s probably the most talented of these guys,” one scout said in reference to the entire corner class. “He has zero interceptions and only three PBUs (in 2023) but he has athletic ability, quickness, speed, body control, suddenness. He gets on guys and he is sticky. He can mirror them. In run support, when he needs to do it, he is nasty. They rotated him in and out of there so much. Kind of odd. But just as far as pure talent this guy is the best of all these guys. Supposedly he was hurt (when he ran the slow 40), but I thought he’d run a lot better than he did.” Fourth-year junior. “He’s physical, tough,” said a second scout. “I don’t think it’s a strong corner class overall so that’s why Rakestraw makes the top five.” Finished with 106 tackles (seven for loss), one pick and 24 passes defensed. “Very good cover corner,” a third scout said. “Plays stronger than his (weight). He comes up and hits. He’s a marginal wrapup tackler but he will hit you. Kid is aggressive. Real good pedal and turn. Plays mostly in the press position but this kid can play up or off in zone or man. He’s got very good feet and quickness. I thought he could easily turn and run with speed. His (40) was shocking. The guy’s got play speed.” Came back from a torn ACL in October 2021 to start all 13 games in 2022. “I didn’t like the guy at all,” said a fourth scout. “I don’t know why he came out because the guy was a backup there most of the year. Skinny guy with arms that looked worse than mine.” From West Dallas, Texas. “I gotta have someone show me what they really like about him,” a fifth scout said. “I just didn’t see it. He's no more than a fifth-round pick for me. I didn’t feel like he had many standout, definitive traits. He’s competitive, he’s tough. I just didn’t think he was a really good athlete.”

8. MIKE SAINRISTIL, Michigan (5-9 ½, 179, 4.47, 2): Playing wide receiver from 2019-’21, he caught 36 passes for 532 yards, a 14.8-yard average and five TDs. Moved to defense and manned the nickel spot for two years. Face of the program type of individual. “It was one of the smoothest transitions from wide receiver to (corner) I’ve ever seen,” one scout said. “He’s phenomenal. His only problem is he just doesn’t have the length (30 7/8 arms). He can’t play outside corner. He’s a nickel only.” Intercepted six passes for the national champions in 2023, making countless big plays. “He’s so fun to watch,” a second scout said. “Gosh, he’s just a good player. (Tyrann) Mathieu is a good comparison. You wouldn’t know (Sainristil) is little the way he tackles. That play he made against Washington where he just fought through that block and tackled that dude, No. 7 (RB Dillon Johnson), with one arm. You don’t get a better play than that. Mike would be like (Antoine) Winfield, Sr., (who was a) hell of a player. He is more of a corner athlete with quickness and speed than (Antoine) Winfield Jr.” Another scout compared him to the Cardinals’ Budda Baker (5-9 ½, 193, 4.50). “His size will be a problem for some teams,” a fourth scout said. “Seeing the ball, making plays on the ball and the fact he also can cover guys man gives you a lot … The ‘Honey Badger’ (Mathieu) just has great instincts. This guy has great instincts, too, but this guy is more cerebral than the ‘Honey Badger.’ He seems like a bright guy that figures stuff out quick and he’s athletic enough to make it happen. He just figures it out mentally.” Finished with 108 tackles (11 ½ for loss), four sacks, seven picks and 20 passes defensed. According to teams, he has a degenerative knee; he had arthroscopic surgery on his knees in high school and had another scope in 2022. “Good kid, good player,” said a fifth scout. “He’ll be a starter. Michigan kids are all sharp. They know how to handle business.” From Everett, Mass.

9. KAMARI LASSITER, Georgia (5-11 ½, 187, 4.64, 3): Third-year junior. “Love that kid,” one scout said. “Yet, you’ll say, ‘Well, he only ran this.’ He never gave up a touchdown. All the guy does is play football. He’s going second round. Slam dunk. He was 100% in the first round (before the 40).” It all changed March 13 in Athens when Lassiter ran 4.64 on his first 40 and 4.65 on his second. He ran a fast short shuttle (4.08), wouldn’t do positional drills and declined to take the Wonderlic test. “I didn’t think he was fast but I didn’t think he was that slow,” a second scout said. “A 4.64 corner? That’s hard to get over. He’s one of those guys that knows he can’t run so he just grabs people. He gets downfield, he grabs all the time. More of a No. 3 type zone underneath man talent.” His 6.62 3-cone at the combine led the position. “I like him but that was a disaster,” said a third scout. “I wouldn’t draft him until the fourth or fifth. He’s a good player, too.” Two-year starter on terrific teams for the Bulldogs. “He played faster than that,” a fourth scout said. “It doesn’t kill him because it’s just a 40 time. He’s quick, played against high-level competition and plays the ball aggressively in the air.” Finished with 86 tackles (8 ½ for loss), one pick and 15 passes defensed. “Can he play safety?” said a fifth scout. “Maybe teams will move him to safety. Other than being competitive and a good tackler … I don’t see it at all. I just see a good athlete that’s not very fast. He is definitely a dude that should have stayed in school.” From Savannah, Ga.

10. ANDRU PHILLIPS, Kentucky (5-10 ½, 192, 4.48, 3): Fourth-year junior with a 42-inch vertical jump and an 11-3 broad jump. “He’s excellent,” one scout said. “His movement skills, his toughness, his awareness and production … to me, this guy’s a slam-dunk starter. He can play inside and outside – probably better in the slot. He’s so fluid. You’d be good with him as your No. 2 corner moving forward.” Started 16 of 38 games over four seasons. “He has a compact build,” a second scout said. “More of a nickel. Not the greatest speed. Quicker than he is fast. Kind of a mid-range cover guy than deep.” Finished with 82 tackles (three for loss), no picks and 10 passes defensed. “He’s a little bit under the radar but a pretty good player,” a third scout said. From Mauldin, S.C.

11. T.J. TAMPA, Iowa State (6-1, 194, 4.58, 3-4): Prep wide receiver moved to corner as a freshman. “Good solid corner,” one scout said. “Better in press. I didn’t mind the speed. Average athlete with quicks in off man. I’d like to see more urgency. There’s potential to be a No. 2 corner outside guy. I liked the recovery speed just because he’s got the stride and enough to carry across the field. Just nonchalant in a lot of his tape. Physical tools are there.” Played four years, starting for 2 ½. “Really intriguing guy because of his size and his length (32 1/8 arms),” said a second scout. “Has some rawness to him but I thought he had natural coverage skills. He’s one of those you take a little bit higher than you probably should because of the value of the position and his skills were so good. I thought he’d run high 4.4s.” Finished with 106 tackles (9 ½ for loss), three picks and 22 passes defensed. “He does not have cover movement at all,” a third scout said. “Doesn’t like run support at all. He’s a former high-school wide receiver, and I think he plays like it as far as instincts and toughness. He’s just got to be a straight-line press speed guy and try to work with him. Someone will take a chance on him. Seattle, those kinds of teams.” From St. Petersburg, Fla.

12. CAM HART, Notre Dame (6-3, 200, 4.51, 3-4): Tallest of the top 25 corners and has the longest arms (33). “Big as hell,” one scout said. “Can change direction for a big guy. Got a little bit of burst. Doesn’t make many plays on the ball. That’s the only concern. Not a killer in the run game. For what he is, he’s going to start. That 4.51 is good for a big, tall guy that can change direction. Second round.” Spent five years in South Bend, starting for the past three years. “He’s a lot like the (Benjamin) St. Juste that came out of Minnesota (in 2021),” another scout said. “He’s a better athlete than a flat-out bursty guy. Not real strong for a big guy but he is a good mover. He’s not a murderer but he can come to balance (and tackle).” Finished with 91 tackles (10 for loss), two picks and 19 passes defensed. “Richard Sherman had change of direction hips,” said a third scout. “This guy’s hips are a tad tight. He’s better than Kevin King. But when a receiver changes his route on him, he’s all f----d up. Athletically, he’s very impressive, but he’s got no change of direction because he’s so long.” From Baltimore.

OTHERS: Jarvis Brownlee, Louisville; Caelen Carson, Wake Forest; Kris Abrams-Draine, Missouri; Nehemiah Pritchett, Auburn; D.J. James, Auburn; Elijah Jones, Boston College; Decamerion Richardson, Mississippi State; Josh Newton, Texas Christian; Chigozie Anusiem, Colorado State; Jarrian Jones, Florida State; Renardo Green, Florida State; Chou Smith, Washington State; Qwan’tez Stiggers, Toronto Argonauts (CFL); Daequan Hardy, Penn State; Khyree Jackson, Oregon; M.J. Devonshire, Pittsburgh; Myles Harden, South Dakota; Kalen King, Penn State.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SAFETIES

1. TYLER NUBIN, Minnesota (6-1, 205, 4.61, 2-3): High-school corner moved to safety once he reached the Twin Cities. “They played him (in the box) but if you watch him covering on special teams you know he can play in space,” one scout said. “He is a special-teams demon. Nubin gives you more than (Kamren) Kinchens because he could be that big nickel. He plays with a physical mindset. He’s better than Kinchens in natural tight end matchups in man coverage or as a general slot guy. He’s got great ball skills, too. For a guy you don’t see going backwards very often he’s always around the ball.” Ran an unexpectedly slow 40. “That hurt him,” a second scout said. “Instincts are his thing. He’s quick to trigger. Better in zone than man. Physical around the line of scrimmage. Little tight in his backpedal but uses his size well to play physical and doesn’t give up separation much. Struggles to open his hips and change direction, but nothing crazy. Can track (the deep ball). Looks to lay a hit. I think he should have come out last year but I still think he’s a pretty good football player. Yes, he’ll be a starter. I would say second round but he would have been a first-rounder last year.” Just 10 reps on the bench press. “He doesn’t have great range but he can do the interchangeable stuff,” a third scout said. “He’ll be a good teams player. He’s had production on the ball.” Started 43 of 55 games, finishing with 207 tackles (4 ½ for loss), 13 picks and 24 passes defensed. From St. Charles, Ill.

2. JAVON BULLARD, Georgia (5-10 ½, 199, 4.45, 2-3): Played nickel in 2022 for the national champions, winning defensive MVP honors in both playoff games. “He’s the No. 1 (safety),” one scout said. “He can’t cover (wideouts) but he’s a safety. He’s square and he’s a secure open-field tackler. Solid.” Third-year junior. Played free safety in 2023. “More of a downhill type but he’s a notch better than a box safety,” said a second scout. “Real good against the run. He will hammer you when he gets you in his sights. Little tight in the hips. He’s got a good pedal and he’s got quick feet but he loses a step on the turn because he’s just tight in the hips. He has good short and underneath cover skills in both man and zone but he gets lost the deeper he goes. I kind of questioned his instincts. He can be a late two, early three with that kind of speed.” His 3-cone of 3.97 was the best among safeties. “He can play free and strong,” a third scout said. “He’s just not prototypical size in height and length (30 ¾ arms). He does have good feet. He tested well.” Finished with 114 tackles (eight for loss), four picks and 12 passes defensed. “Are you kidding me with this guy?” a fourth scout said. “He looks like a corner, short and thin. He’s active and has instincts. He’s also very limited athletically. He tries, but he just can’t get to where he needs to go — in coverage and run support. He cannot do that (cover wideouts). I thought he was a free agent.” From Milledgeville, Ga.

3. CALEN BULLOCK, Southern Cal (6-2, 187, 4.50, 2-3): Third-year junior. “Is he a true safety or a true corner?” one scout said. “There will be a division there.” Played safety and nickel for the Trojans, starting 32 of 38 games. “He has the most talent of maybe anybody on this thing,” a second scout said of the safety list. “Not a great year for safeties. I’ll roll the dice and say he’ll be a solid starter.” Started his freshman year weighing in the 160-pound range. “I think he's a safety,” said a third scout. “I really like him. He’s a high-risk, high-reward player. He’s got to clean up some of the tackling but he’s a really good athlete and he has unique ball skills.” Finished with 149 tackles (none for loss), nine picks and 24 passes defensed. “We think he’s a third-round corner,” a fourth scout said. “He’s not strong. Really inconsistent as a tackler. He makes some business decisions as a tackler. But then, he’s big, he’s got loose hips, he can run, he has ball skills.” His eight reps on the bench were the fewest by a safety. “He’s very thin, which doesn’t bode well,” a fifth scout said. “He’s a middle of the field safety. Doesn’t see route combinations real fast, which means he’s in trouble in zone. Gets out of position too easy. As a 190-pound safety you’re not going to have him standing in that box a whole lot. He’s not a physical guy. He will turn it down. There’s a lot of reasons why that USC defense was so bad. A 190-pound safety that’s 6-3 has got to be one of the reasons.” From Pasadena, Calif.

4. KAMREN KINCHENS, Miami (5-11, 202, 4.62, 2-3): First Hurricanes player to record double-digits sacks in his career since the late, great Sean Taylor a generation ago. “He’s got to be that spur type of guy, that in-between linebacker and safety,” one scout said. “He plays the right way. He’s competitive, got instincts. I just thought he was limited in space with his athletic ability. Not a man (cover) guy. He’s a box guy who struggles in space. You’ve got to have a plan. Maybe you grow him into a linebacker. He’s a good tackler in the box. Get him out too much and his limitations show up.” His broad jump of 9-2 was by far the worst of the top 25 safeties. “He doesn’t hit nearly the same as Nubin does,” said another scout. “Kinchens could almost be considered a corner the way he covers guys. They didn’t ask him to cover wideouts but I think overall he will be able to because he can run … I don’t know if the 40 hurts him becauses this year’s crop isn’t necessarily the greatest crop. What you saw wasn’t the same as what the watch said.” Third-year junior with 162 tackles (five for loss), 11 picks and 26 passes defensed. “He’s overrated,” said a third scout. “He wasn’t an eraser tackler. He peeks in the backfield. Eye discipline’s inconsistent. Better on short and intermediate routes than when he has to play the ball behind him. He didn’t play the post very good, which is a huge requirement for a safety. He’s got a lot of hype.” From Miami. “He doesn’t deserve to be taken high,” a fourth scout said. “He doesn’t have the intuitive feel for the overall game. But, on the scientific testing and all that, he’s smart. He scares me.”

5. COLE BISHOP, Utah (6-2, 207, 4.41, 2-3): Fastest of the top 10 safeties. “I didn’t see that (4.41) on tape,” said one scout. “He doesn’t play to that at all. They line him up all over the place. He’s obviously smart and knows what he’s doing. He is active. I didn’t see him as a great space cover dude. Not a lot of range. In the box he’s not a killer but he’s not not tough. Everything’s right in the middle on what he does. Not a great athlete, not a bad athlete.” His arm length (29 ¾) was second shortest among the top 25 safeties. “He’s one of the more cerebral players,” said a second scout. “Tackling was a concern last year but I thought it was better this year. He’s a better athlete than some might give him credit for. He’s just kind of a steady player. You know what you’re going to get. He did well at the Senior Bowl showing some cover skills on tight ends.” Third-year junior with 29 starts in 35 games. “He was kind of their defensive leader,” a third scout said. “He can play nickel. Sees it quick. He goes to get it whether it’s run or pass.” Finished with 197 tackles (21 ½ for loss), three picks and 14 passes defensed. “I kind of like him,” a fourth scout said. “Great kid. Coach’s pet. He’s gonna make a team and be really good. He’s an early starter.” From Peachtree City, Ga.

6. JADEN HICKS, Washington State (6-2, 215, 4.50, 2-3): Third-year sophomore played just one game in 2021. “Best way to describe him is he’s a poor man’s Kyle Hamilton from the Ravens,” one scout said. “He played deep, slot, box, linebacker. I wish he was a little more nasty and aggressive. He can play strong up in the box when he takes on. He sticks his face in there. He’s a good tackler. In coverage, he’s good against tight ends in man and the zone stuff’s really good. When he’s back on the hash he can run and cover ground. He kind of does everything good to really well.” Started in 2022-’23. “Against Wisconsin (Sept. 9) he showed up,” a second scout said. “On a swing pass to Braelon Allen he just clubbed the guy. I heard people say, ‘He’s gotta be a linebacker.’ I saw him run down the seam with (Washington’s) Ja’Lynn Polk and go up and make a pick. His interviews were ordinary, maybe below average. But I think he’s an NFL starting safety.” Finished with 155 tackles (eight for loss), three picks and 13 passes defensed. “He ran pretty well but I thought this kid needed more experience,” said a third scout. “He’s a willing player in the box to run support but he misses a lot of tackles. He ducks his head. He’ll dive. In coverage, it was spotty so I was concerned if he played free safety. I see him as a backup who could possibly develop with more experience. I’m the opposite of bullish on this kid.” From Las Vegas.

7. MALIK MUSTAPHA, Wake Forest (5-10, 206, 4.54, 3-4): Spent 2020 as a lightly-recruited backup at Richmond before transferring. “He has physicality and ability against the run,” one scout said. “He can cover tight ends – maybe.” A backup in 2021, he suffered a torn ACL in the Gator Bowl but returned to start 10 games in ’22. “I thought he was faster than that (4.54),” a second scout said. “He’s not the biggest guy but he’s smart, instinctive and has a nose for the ball. He does it all. He is a good tackler. He should be a top-10 safety.” Finished with 192 tackles (15 for loss), three picks and 10 passes defensed. His vertical jump (41 ½) and bench press (22 reps) led the position. “More of a strong safety type that’s physical,” a third scout said. From Charlotte.

8. TYKEE SMITH, Georgia (5-10, 203, 4.45, 4): Started at West Virginia in 2019-’20 before transferring. During his first season in Athens he suffered a broken foot and a torn ACL. Backed up in 2022, then was the nickel in ’23. “Bullard got the hype but Smith was a better player,” one scout said. “Always around the ball. Not really a top talent. Does a little bit of everything well. You could throw him in there (slot) for some plays but you don’t want him doing that full-time.” Compared by two scouts to the Lions’ Brian Branch (5-11 ½, 192, 4.55). “Similar,” one said. “Not instinctually as good (as Branch).” Surprised some by running 4.45. “He jumped out more than Lassiter when you watch their games,” a third scout said. “Brian’s bigger and longer. He’s going to be a nickel. That’s his position. It’s not like you’re going to move him to free safety. I don’t think he has the feet to play outside.” Finished with 215 tackles (21 ½ for loss), eight picks and 20 passes defensed. “I really liked Branch but Branch didn’t cover (at Alabama),” said a fourth scout. “This guy covers. This guy is as good a player as Branch, and I liked Branch. Boy, he is one good, smart, aggressive player. I only questioned his height.” From Philadelphia.

OTHERS: Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, Texas Tech; Sione Vaki, Utah; Kitan Oladapo, Oregon State; Jaylin Simpson, Auburn; Dom Hampton, Washington; Evan Williams, Oregon; Jaylon Carlies, Missouri; Beau Brade, Maryland; Tre Prince, Mississippi; Daijahn Anthony, Mississippi; Josh Proctor, Ohio State; Millard Bradford, Texas Christian; Tyler Owens, Texas Tech; Ryan Watts, Texas; Jalen Key, Alabama.

UNSUNG HERO
Sione Vaki, S, Utah: Went on an LDS mission from 2019-’21 before debuting with the Utes in 2022. In 2023, Vaki (5-11, 213, 4.56) started 12 games at strong safety but also contributed as a running back. In fact, he gained 158 yards against California on Oct. 14. “He’s tough and explosive and fast,” one scout said. “He made plays as a running back. Some people might end up having him as a running back. He’s the ultimate utility infielder but you’ve got to have the coaching staff that’s willing to say, ‘OK, yeah, we’re going to play him as kind of a nickel safety, we’ll let him return punts, we’ll put a little package in for him on offense.’”

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
Kalen King, CB, Penn State: Regarded as one of the better prospects at the position coming off a sophomore season in which he led the Big Ten in passes defensed with 21. Declaring a year early, King (5-11, 190, 4.57) ran poorly both at the combine and pro day after a down junior season. “Don’t watch Ohio State — it was like the worst game he ever played in his life,” one scout said. “He doesn’t play with the confidence of a guy with his athletic ability. He’s a free agent. He's just not very good.”

QUOTE TO NOTE
AFC scout: “He (one of the leading corners) is not trying to kill anybody, but who gives a ****? Because the guys who are trying to kill people are usually getting fined or kicked out of games. A corner’s job is to cover people. If you want people to dominate as a run defender, put safeties out there