Mcnabb a Sellout for becoming a Pocket Passer?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Was watching the Best Damn Sports Show Period and they informed me that an NAACP rep out of Philly ripped on Mcnabb. Here is the article.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on Wed, Dec. 07, 2005

Mondesire disses McNabb as a 'mediocre talent'

By Thomas Fitzgerald

Inquirer Staff Writer

J. Whyatt Mondesire - civil-rights leader, newspaper publisher and politician - slams rivals with blunt language all the time. It's usually considered part of the spice of Philadelphia politics.

But Mondesire found himself in some hot water when he turned his sharp tongue on someone in a different league: Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. In a scathing column published in his newspaper, the Philadelphia Sunday Sun, Mondesire said that McNabb was a "mediocre talent" who "played the race card" by moving away from his roots as a running quarterback to become a traditional pocket passer.

For good measure, Mondesire said, "You choked, brother," in referring to McNabb's disoriented play at the end of the Super Bowl last January.

The column has sparked heated discussion on talk radio around town, raising the profile of the Sun and its publisher, who is exploring a run for Congress against U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah (D., Pa.) in next year's primary.

"It's amazing how, when I write about children being slaughtered or people not being able to afford heat, I don't get the reaction I get from touching the Holy Grail," Mondesire said.

McNabb led the Eagles to the Super Bowl last year, but was having a dramatically less productive season when he was sidelined with an injury after nine games. Mondesire said McNabb's effectiveness had declined because he shifted tactics - from rolling out and running the ball to throwing it from the pocket - to avoid being stereotyped as a "black" quarterback.

While McNabb's annual running yardage totals have shrunk since his first year as an Eagle in 2000, he has never cited race as a reason for running less. He has, however, expressed resentment that some blacks playing his position are labeled "running quarterbacks."

"So our genius here piles on now because everyone is piling on McNabb," said Howard Eskin, a sports talk host on WIP-AM (610). "It's just not fair. McNabb has had a terrible year, but not because he runs or doesn't run."

Efforts to reach McNabb, through both the Eagles and his agent, were unsuccessful yesterday. The quarterback is recovering from season-ending surgery to repair a sports hernia that had hindered his passing and mobility.

Mondesire said he figured the controversy would not hurt a possible congressional run, since McNabb lives in a different district and "I'm not looking for a contribution from him, or [Eagles coach] Andy Reid."

McNabb has not contacted Mondesire to complain. "If he does call, the first thing I'm going to do is try to recruit him as a subscriber" to the Sun, Mondesire said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/13345058.htm

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling Mcnabb is going to pull a "Don Meredith" and a "Terry Bradshaw" when he finally retires from Philly. Those folks dont seem to understand what they have in this guy.

Maybe they long for the days of Brister, Peete and Hoying...dunno.

- Mike G.

jay cee

Reaction score
Dang Mike, how stupid can one guy be. That's as dumb as Limbaugh. But at least I think Limbaugh dropped his bomb to draw attention away from his drug scandal that was about to drop.

I guess this idiot is trying increase attention to his rag.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Why do I get the feeling Mcnabb is going to pull a "Don Meredith" and a "Terry Bradshaw" when he finally retires from Philly. Those folks dont seem to understand what they have in this guy.

Maybe they long for the days of Brister, Peete and Hoying...dunno.

- Mike G.

That guy is a flat out idiot... and he is bordering on racial stereotyping.

I agree with you... after the way McNabb has been treated there, I woldn't be surprised a bit if he pulled a Dandy Don...

It makes you wonder if he will move on when his current contract expires...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Very dumb opinion by this guy. Obviously someone who doesn't know much about football and unfortunately sounds like someone who only see the color of a person's skin.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
What a complete fool! Mama McNabb should chop that ******'s head off.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
trickblue said:
That guy is a flat out idiot... and he is bordering on racial stereotyping.

I agree with you... after the way McNabb has been treated there, I woldn't be surprised a bit if he pulled a Dandy Don...

It makes you wonder if he will move on when his current contract expires...

I dont remember how long Mcnabb's contract was for. Do you think they treat his position (QB), like they did some of the other positions when they let very good players go? Normally if a team has a really good QB, they tend to re-sign them and if the Eagles do that, I think they offer him a ton of money he cant turn down.

The weird thing about this whole thing is it is a Lose Lose situation for Mcnabb.

If comes out like say...one of my favorite guys Brian Cox (linebacker) and speaks his mind on some of this stuff people would say it is typical of black guy.

If he does what he is doing, which is play it cool, tote the company line and wheel and deal behind the scenes (which is the best way to go if you want to carefully protect your image and continue to adverties), then others will say, what a sellout blah blah blah.

The T.O. situation was cut in dry to me.
1. The NFLPA told him not to sign the contract, he signed it.
2. T.O. came to the Eagles organization as a Top 3 Receiver in

It wasnt like Owens was drafted by the Eagles, then he blew up there and became a a Top 3 Reciever, which in that case I would TOTALLY support him wanting a new deal. But he was TOP 3 coming in and he should have been smart enough and business savvy enough to get paid like one.

If Bill Gates leaves Microsoft and goes to another gig, you better bet your ARSE, Bill G. is going to make they pay his arse like a top NOTCH CEO that he is. The onous was on Owens to do the same.

- Mike G.

trickblue

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I dont remember how long Mcnabb's contract was for. Do you think they treat his position (QB), like they did some of the other positions when they let very good players go? Normally if a team has a really good QB, they tend to re-sign them and if the Eagles do that, I think they offer him a ton of money he cant turn down.

The weird thing about this whole thing is it is a Lose Lose situation for Mcnabb.

If comes out like say...one of my favorite guys Brian Cox (linebacker) and speaks his mind on some of this stuff people would say it is typical of black guy.

If he does what he is doing, which is play it cool, tote the company line and wheel and deal behind the scenes (which is the best way to go if you want to carefully protect your image and continue to adverties), then others will say, what a sellout blah blah blah.

The T.O. situation was cut in dry to me.
1. The NFLPA told him not to sign the contract, he signed it.
2. T.O. came to the Eagles organization as a Top 3 Receiver in

It wasnt like Owens was drafted by the Eagles, then he blew up there and became a a Top 3 Reciever, which in that case I would TOTALLY support him wanting a new deal. But he was TOP 3 coming in and he should have been smart enough and business savvy enough to get paid like one.

If Bill Gates leaves Microsoft and goes to another gig, you better bet your ARSE, Bill G. is going to make they pay his arse like a top NOTCH CEO that he is. The onous was on Owens to do the same.

- Mike G.

Brian Cox is one of my favorites too... I listen to him on FoxSports on XM...

It really is a no win for McNabb... you have those fans that never will trust him and now TO has poisoned his tenure there. It will never be the same for McNabb as he will never be able to fully trust some of his team mates now...

McNabb will do what's best for his family. He will likely tow the company line throughout his career. Personally I admire people that take care of family at the expense of their own interests. I would imagine that once he retires, he will write a book on the whole sordid mess.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I would imagine that once he retires, he will write a book on the whole sordid mess.

Yes Sir!!!

And make a whole ton of money doing it and laughing at T.O. and that NAACP rep all the way to the bank.

I think the guy has handled everything with Class. I really dont know what he does behind the scenes so I cannot say one way or another.

trickblue

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Yes Sir!!!

And make a whole ton of money doing it and laughing at T.O. and that NAACP rep all the way to the bank.

I think the guy has handled everything with Class. I really dont know what he does behind the scenes so I cannot say one way or another.

I think he has handled it very well...

Hopefully he will take some dance lessons in the off-season though... :D