McShay 2018 1st Round Mock

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Here's an example of how fluid this process is. This time last year, Haason Reddick was technically still a walk-on at Temple, paying his own way. Now, he's the 13th overall pick.

You don't even have to look that far back.

On Jan. 21 -- after the end of the season but before the "underwear Olympics" -- Scouts Inc. had Reddick rated 217th overall, which was six spots below our UDFA tackle Dan Skipper and 19 spots below our UDFA defensive end Lewis Neal.

Zay Jones was ranked 205th, two spots below Fred Ross. Tanoh Kpassagnon was 209th, Fabian Moreau was 215th, Tyus Bowser 221st, Larry Ogunjobi 228th and Tarell Basham 238th. All of them were gone by the middle of the third round.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I believe in Maliek Collins and hope he can emerge at 3-tech, for this defense to really get to where we want it to be we need a dominant presence there. With the way this scheme is set up, a Rod Marinelli 3T should be an annual Pro-Bowler.

If Collins can't take the next step this year I'd love to target a big time disruptive DT.
Collins has the juice to do that now will he ? Not saying that if a better 3T is there you don't take him the position is too important.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Just for perspective and reminder (that we all realize) of how radically things always change...

Here are some samples of McShay's Way To Early 2017 Draft one year ago.

He did get a few of the 1st rounders (Garrett, etc)
many were 4-6 rounds off.

2) Brad Kaaya (215th pick)
8) Juju Smith-Schuster (62)
10) Malachi Dupre (247)
11) Roderick Johnson (160)
18) Mike McGlinchey (return to school)
21) Lowell Lotulelei (??)
22) Zach banner (137)
25) Mitch Leidner (undrafted)
27) Conner McDermott (211)
28) Deitrich Wise (131)
29) Marquis Haynes (return?)

and more

Lotulelei went back to school for his senior year.

Hardline

Reaction score
Next years draft will be weak on tight ends. That's one reason I wanted one of the top ones this draft.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't think that's fair. The draft is way too fluid. I like the early mocks because sometimes they open my eyes to someone to watch next year.

Here's an example of how fluid this process is. This time last year, Haason Reddick was technically still a walk-on at Temple, paying his own way.
Now, he's the 13th overall pick.

I think it's more than...fair. It just goes to show he isn't a true talent evaluator....but more of a collector of information....and just spits out what he hears.:rolleyes:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
McShay is a moron. In his not too early 2017 mock he had use taking QB Mitch Leidner in the first. Dude went undrafted last week. How do these idiots have jobs?

I think I heard him say somewhere that he doesn't like doing mock drafts this early, but ESPN makes him do them so ...

jimmy40

Reaction score
  • The draft order below was generated by Football Outsiders, using its early projected records for the 2017 season.
Here is my way-too-early NFL mock draft for 2018. Underclassmen are noted with an asterisk.

1. Cleveland - Sam Darnold QB USC*
2. San Francisco - Josh Allen QB Wyoming*
3. N.Y. Jets - Josh Rosen QB UCLA*
4. Cleveland (Houston) - Christian Wilkins DL Clemson*
5. Minnesota - Calvin Ridley WR Alabama*
6. Denver - Malik Jefferson LB Texas*
7. Indianapolis - Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.*
8. Buffalo - Derwin James S Florida St.*
9. New Orleans - Harold Landry DE Boston College
10. Miami - Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama*
11. Tampa Bay - Arden Key DE LSU*
12. Chicago - Tarvarus McFadden CB Florida St.*
13. Washington - Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M*
14. Philadelphia - Bo Scarbrough RB Alabama*
15. Jacksonville - Derrick Nnadi DT Florida St.
16. Cincinnati - Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
17. L.A. Rams - Josh Sweat DE/OLB Florida St.*
18. L.A. Chargers - Da'Shawn Hand DT Alabama
19. Detroit - Bradley Chubb DE North Carolina St.
20. N.Y. Giants - Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson
21. Baltimore - Antonio Callaway WR Florida*
22. Buffalo (Kansas City) - Tyquan Lewis DE Ohio St.
23. Arizona - Mike McGlinchey T Notre Dame
24. Atlanta - Courtland Sutton WR SMU*
25. Tennessee - Cameron Smith ILB USC*
26. Carolina - Sam Hubbard DE Ohio St.*
27. Oakland - Derrius Guice RB LSU*

28. Dallas - Vita Vea DT Washington*
At 332 pounds, Vea is a massive body to move in the middle of the defensive line. He flashed some pass-rushing potential last season, with five sacks.

29. Green Bay - Deon Cain WR Clemson*
30. Pittsburgh - Iman Marshall CB USC*
31. Seattle - Orlando Brown T Oklahoma*
32. New England - Da'Ron Payne DL Alabama

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/i...cshay-way-too-early-2018-mock-draft-nfl-draft
Malik Jefferson better play a hell of a lot better this year to even start for Texas much less be a top ten pick.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don't think that's fair. The draft is way too fluid. I like the early mocks because sometimes they open my eyes to someone to watch next year.

Here's an example of how fluid this process is. This time last year, Haason Reddick was technically still a walk-on at Temple, paying his own way.
Now, he's the 13th overall pick.

Which is exactly why it's hilarious when people say "we got Player X in the 6th round when he was mocked as a 1st rounder in Dratek3000's mock draft in May!"

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
as of right this moment, I want us to address DL, LB, OL, TE, WR and of course QB in next year's draft.

I want at least one edge guy and one interior guy. I want one LB who can play at least two of the three positions and is a beast on ST. I want one T and one interior OL drafted for depth. Witten will probably retire after next season, and we need to get us a stud TE now. I want a Switzer type WR, but in a bigger body, someone in the mid to late rounds. Finally, we need a legit backup QB. The veterans in this league suck. Kellen Moore sucks. I want a solid mid-round prospect, someone with similar traits to Dak, as far as size and athleticism. I don't expect him to have the poise or overall ability of Dak, but be as comparable as possible, as to make it easier for the transition when his number is called.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Here's Rob Rang's version....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...e-first-round-including-two-right-at-the-top/

No NFL fan wants to see their favorite team projected to pick early, regardless of how exciting the young talent coming down the pike might be. As such, rather than forecast what might happen in the 2017 NFL season, we are relying on the current Super Bowl odds (per Westgate Las Vegas Super Book) to determine the selection order.

*denotes underclassmen

3. N.Y. Jets - Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.*
4. L.A. Rams - Derwin James S Florida St.*
5. Chicago - Calvin Ridley WR Alabama*
6. Buffalo - Sam Hubbard DE Ohio St.*
7. New Orleans - Josh Rosen QB UCLA*
8. Jacksonville - Orlando Brown T Oklahoma*
9. L.A. Chargers - Vita Vea DT Washington*
10. Washington - Lamar Jackson QB Louisville*
11. Cincinnati - Mitch Hyatt T Clemson*
12. Tennessee - Arden Key DE LSU*
13. Detroit - Derrius Guice RB LSU*
14. Philadelphia - Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M*
15. Cleveland (Houston) - Minkah Fitzpatrick CB Alabama*
16. Carolina - Da'Shawn Hand DE Alabama
17. Miami - Tarvarus McFadden CB Florida St.*
18. Arizona - Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma St.
19. Minnesota - Christian Wilkins DT Clemson
20. Baltimore - Ronnie Harrison S Alabama*
21. Indianapolis - Malik Jefferson ILB Texas*
22. Tampa Bay - Mike McGlinchey T Notre Dame
23. Buffalo (Kansas City) - James Washington WR Oklahoma St.
24. N.Y. Giants - Bradley Chubb DE North Carolina St.
25. Denver - DaRon Payne DT Alabama*
26. Atlanta - Billy Price G Ohio St.
27. Seattle - Nick Chubb RB Georgia
28. Oakland - Cameron Smith ILB USC
29. Pittsburgh - Chukwuma Okorafor T Western Michigan
30. Green Bay - Harold Landry OLB Boston College

31. Dallas - Brandon Facyson CB Virginia Tech
Dallas' Day 2 cornerbacks Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis are gifted cover men but they lack ideal size. Listed at 6-2 and 197 pounds by the Hokies, Facyson has the frame and aggressive style that would serve as the perfect complement to Dallas' talented young secondary.

32. New England - Lowell Lotulelei DT Utah

No Porter Gustin?...Kids gonna blow up this year... just watch....got good intell he's gonna kill it this year. He's becoming the next JJ Watt. Freak athlete w/ 4.5 speed.;)

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'D take him 6'1' / 310 another Aaron Donald we need a dominant guy in the middle

Aaron Donald is a quick, penetrating 3Tech (and overall monster). Lutulelei is more of a run-stuffing 1Tech. Which we may need since Paea is on a 1-year deal and we can walk away from Cedric Thornton's deal after this year.

Kentavius-Street-2-696x394.jpg

One 3Tech to consider might be NC State's Kentavius Street. He's 6-2, 282, and a bit of an athletic freak.

bodi

Reaction score
Aaron Donald is a quick, penetrating 3Tech (and overall monster). Lutulelei is more of a run-stuffing 1Tech. Which we may need since Paea is on a 1-year deal and we can walk away from Cedric Thornton's deal after this year.

Kentavius-Street-2-696x394.jpg

One 3Tech to consider might be NC State's Kentavius Street. He's 6-2, 282, and a bit of an athletic freak.

yea I wonder if we even get a shot at either one

okstateCowboy

Reaction score
Here's Rob Rang's version....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...e-first-round-including-two-right-at-the-top/

No NFL fan wants to see their favorite team projected to pick early, regardless of how exciting the young talent coming down the pike might be. As such, rather than forecast what might happen in the 2017 NFL season, we are relying on the current Super Bowl odds (per Westgate Las Vegas Super Book) to determine the selection order.

*denotes underclassmen

3. N.Y. Jets - Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.*
4. L.A. Rams - Derwin James S Florida St.*
5. Chicago - Calvin Ridley WR Alabama*
6. Buffalo - Sam Hubbard DE Ohio St.*
7. New Orleans - Josh Rosen QB UCLA*
8. Jacksonville - Orlando Brown T Oklahoma*
9. L.A. Chargers - Vita Vea DT Washington*
10. Washington - Lamar Jackson QB Louisville*
11. Cincinnati - Mitch Hyatt T Clemson*
12. Tennessee - Arden Key DE LSU*
13. Detroit - Derrius Guice RB LSU*
14. Philadelphia - Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M*
15. Cleveland (Houston) - Minkah Fitzpatrick CB Alabama*
16. Carolina - Da'Shawn Hand DE Alabama
17. Miami - Tarvarus McFadden CB Florida St.*
18. Arizona - Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma St.
19. Minnesota - Christian Wilkins DT Clemson
20. Baltimore - Ronnie Harrison S Alabama*
21. Indianapolis - Malik Jefferson ILB Texas*
22. Tampa Bay - Mike McGlinchey T Notre Dame
23. Buffalo (Kansas City) - James Washington WR Oklahoma St.
24. N.Y. Giants - Bradley Chubb DE North Carolina St.
25. Denver - DaRon Payne DT Alabama*
26. Atlanta - Billy Price G Ohio St.
27. Seattle - Nick Chubb RB Georgia
28. Oakland - Cameron Smith ILB USC
29. Pittsburgh - Chukwuma Okorafor T Western Michigan
30. Green Bay - Harold Landry OLB Boston College

31. Dallas - Brandon Facyson CB Virginia Tech
Dallas' Day 2 cornerbacks Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis are gifted cover men but they lack ideal size. Listed at 6-2 and 197 pounds by the Hokies, Facyson has the frame and aggressive style that would serve as the perfect complement to Dallas' talented young secondary.

32. New England - Lowell Lotulelei DT Utah

No chance Lamar Jackson goes in the top 10