McVay laughs at the NE pick

Reaction score
Amazing folks still question the guy. He's always trusted his own evaluations over popular opinion........ and he's done okay.
This is a what have you done for me lately world.

And lately, he hasn't done much

It is becoming more and more clear that Brady covered over some warts.

He is still the greatest coach of all time. But look at his record without Brady as his QB. Including his time in Cleveland. It says a lot

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He is still the greatest coach of all time. But look at his record without Brady as his QB. Including his time in Cleveland. It says a lot

Brady covered a ton by taking pay cuts and turning guys like Wes Welker and Julian Edelman into stars. Bill basically is rebuilding the offense from scratch and doing that through the draft is a slower process. But, who would you trust more to get the job done? Nobody

Reaction score
Brady covered a ton by taking pay cuts and turning guys like Wes Welker and Julian Edelman into stars. Bill basically is rebuilding the offense from scratch and doing that through the draft is a slower process. But, who would you trust more to get the job done? Nobody
I would trust Bill in building a defense, but not a offense.

He got lucky with Brady at pick 199. How many Pro Bowl WR's has he drafted? Welker and Moss were trades. Edelman was a QB who came out of nowhere. He can't draft WR's.

He's better at TE. Gronk of course. Hernandez would have been a good pick if he wasn't a multiple murderer. RB's? Any decent RB they had were free agents. No RB they drafted did anything of note.

Bill is a defensive mastermind in an offensive league. Pete Carroll has the same problem. Unless he finds another Tom Brady, Buffalo will continue to take him to the woodshed like they did in the playoffs.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would trust Bill in building a defense, but not a offense.

He got lucky with Brady at pick 199. How many Pro Bowl WR's has he drafted. Welker and Moss were trades. Edelman was a QB who came out of nowhere. He can't draft WR's.

He's better at TE. Gronk of course. Hernandez would have been a good pick if he wasn't a multiple murderer. RB's? Any decent RB they had were free agents. No RB they drafted did anything of note.

Bill is a defensive mastermind in an offensive league. Pete Carroll has the same problem. Unless he finds another Tom Brady, Buffalo will continue to take him to the woodshed like they did in the playoffs.

Well, its a new era and a new challenge for Bill. Every great coach from Lombardi to Knoll to Landry to Walsh built their dynastys on the back of a HOF QB. People forget that many years, the defense carried the Patriots in the playoffs and Brady did just enough to not lose. Think Manning in Denver.

There isn't even a good comparison to Bill. Nobody has been able to keep their ship affloat with so many different players over so many years in the era of free agency........... nobody is even close. So call me crazy, but he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction score
Well, its a new era and a new challenge for Bill. Every great coach from Lombardi to Knoll to Landry to Walsh built their dynastys on the back of a HOF QB. People forget that many years, the defense carried the Patriots in the playoffs and Brady did just enough to not lose. Think Manning in Denver.

There isn't even a good comparison to Bill. Nobody has been able to keep their ship affloat with so many different players over so many years in the era of free agency........... nobody is even close. So call me crazy, but he gets the benefit of the doubt.
I could call you crazy. But I might get banned for that.

So I won't.

kumizi

Reaction score
Mcvay was at least 7 or 8 beers deep by the time he did that press conference. Pretty funny. Don’t think he was intentionally taking a shot at BB.

Creeper

Reaction score
Strange had better combine numbers than our super athletic pick. Strange was 3rd in the bench press with 31 reps. Our guy did not do the bench press. Strange had a 28 inch vertical, a half inch better than Tyler Smith. Strange had a 4.5 shuttle compared to 4.65 for Smith, 7.44 3Cone drill compared to 7.78, 10'0" in the broad jump (the best of all offensive linemen) compared to 8'9" for Smith. Strange ran a 5.03 to Smith's 5.02, the only drill where Smith did better.

Strange did not lead the college leagues in penalties in 2021. He might be a reach but maybe no so much of a reach.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
"We wasted our time scouting him at 104" while laughing it up at the press conference

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-mc-va...ound-selection-of-cole-strange-040919011.html
I think you got this all wrong. I don't think he wasn't laughing at the pick. He was laughing that he was outsmarted. You misquoted him, what he said was, "and we wasted our time watching him, thinking he'd be at 104." I guess that was a guy who he thought might fall to him, but the patriots didn't let that happen.

GMO415

Reaction score
On second thought, I don't think it was a slam against the kid. I think they were hoping to get him at 104 but Rams were dead wrong. I think they were laughing at themselves.