Me Being a Greedy Draft *****

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Given production by Choice and Phillips I wanted to pretend we decide to trade Barber and Bennett and add a RB and TE in a Draft. Because we don't touch either position without them gone first. Too deep to waste the pick. For the sake of trying to be near reality I am saying we add a 2nd and a 3rd for them. For pure giggles after the 2nd round I am also going to trade Carpenter for a 5th round pick so we have a pick in every round.

Feel free to shoot holes in this if you wish. I'm just being greedy and having fun.

1. Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame, 5'11", 195. I don't want to take a WR this soon, but the Cowboys might and use him at KR and PR as well as 3rd WR. How does this impact Crayton or Ogletree? I don't know, and I'm not sure I care. All I care about is how it impacts the Cowboys. He can catch, is explosive, and has return abilities.

2a. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida, 6'3", 255. Reports of him slipping to the 2nd round are kind of shocking, but almost every publication is predicting it. He definitely has value and can learn behind Brooking and James for a couple of years.

2b. Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State, 6'5", 300. He is a 1st round talent, but he will drop because he got arrested in March. He got into a fight with 4 people after a night of drinking. Kids. With 3 of our 4 DEs slated to be FAs, we can't afford to do nothing at DE. This kid can play.

3a. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama, 6'6", 320.
Time to shore up the OL and this round is my time to do it. Mike Johnson is a bulldozer in the running game and the number of declared underclassmen has pushed him into the 3rd round. He is good value here for sure. I know a lot of folks want Iupati. Johnson is in the same category and can be had a round later allowing us some added talent.
3b. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, IUP, 6'1", 205. You can never have enough CBs and this one is a Special teams ace. He averaged 29.7 yards on Kickoff Returns and 12.5 yards on Punt Returns and scored 5 times on Special Teams. Between him and Tate, we shore up return duties and free up Felix to simply run.

4. Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale, 6'8", 325. This kid is athletic for a mammoth. He has time to be groomed and be come a bookend with Free. O-line depth is my pet cat in this Draft more than individual players. He is a small school gamble that could pay off huge.

5. John Estes, C, Hawaii, 6'2, 300. He returns to my mock because I like his nasty side and I want to make sure we have depth across the OL.

6. LaGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon, 6'2", 240. Yes, the guy who punched the trash talker and then went after fans who were taunting him. He is a late round steal and a goal line threat. Despite what you saw on TV, he is not a bad kid. Choice becomes the work horse, Felix the game changer and shares the primary load. I especially get Felix involved in the passing game on 3rd downs. Blount can be a short yardage option who can help a little at FB too.

7. Mickey Shuler, TE, Penn State, 6'4", 250. A great blocking TE. With the emergence of John Phillips and him showing some potential in the receiving game it was worth a shot to look at TE. This is just for fun anyway.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I'd do cartwheels if we got Golden Tate. Provides immediate help in the return game and could provide some needed explosion in the passing game. Plus, he ran some wildcat at ND.

Can't see them doing this outside of your trade scenario, which you mention, because I think they will upgrade the o-line with a Bulaga or Iupati if available at #27.

Love the PSU guys, particulalry Odrick who was unblockable at times and would fit nice as a 3-4 end.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Love the picks, but youre cheating w/ the MB3 trade.

Substitute Choice and theres not really any holes

Do one more but trade a few 4's and 5's for 3's.

reddyuta

Reaction score
i like this mock except there is no chance we draft a WR in the 1st rd.hell i wouldnt even be surprised if we didnt draft a WR at all.We also need a safety.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
reddyuta;3246294 said:
i like this mock except there is no chance we draft a WR in the 1st rd.hell i wouldnt even be surprised if we didnt draft a WR at all.We also need a safety.

Akoni-Okaeak-Usanaw is a CB/S and so is Ball. One of them could move

newlander

Reaction score
Tate would be the ultimate weapon: he could play in the slot: sorry Crayton, but youth and speed prevails, he could return punts (sorry Crayton, sick of you muffing punts) and he could return kicks-sorry Felix, you're too valuable at RB to do this anymore. Hey, if we would somehow maneuver to get another low first or high second: by trading Bennett or Carp or both: we could actually do this after drafting Bugala or the Idaho kid. I said about 10 weeks ago I'd like to see Tate with a star on his helmet: catches everything and can fly....Desean Jackson without the mouth and low IQ

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So Hos, what is your opinion then on the rumors earlier about trading Bennett?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3246232 said:
Given production by Choice and Phillips I wanted to pretend we decide to trade Barber and Bennett and add a RB and TE in a Draft. Because we don't touch either position without them gone first. Too deep to waste the pick. For the sake of trying to be near reality I am saying we add a 2nd and a 3rd for them. For pure giggles after the 2nd round I am also going to trade Carpenter for a 5th round pick so we have a pick in every round.

Feel free to shoot holes in this if you wish. I'm just being greedy and having fun.

1. Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame, 5'11", 195. I don't want to take a WR this soon, but the Cowboys might and use him at KR and PR as well as 3rd WR. How does this impact Crayton or Ogletree? I don't know, and I'm not sure I care. All I care about is how it impacts the Cowboys. He can catch, is explosive, and has return abilities.

2a. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida, 6'3", 255. Reports of him slipping to the 2nd round are kind of shocking, but almost every publication is predicting it. He definitely has value and can learn behind Brooking and James for a couple of years.

2b. Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State, 6'5", 300. He is a 1st round talent, but he will drop because he got arrested in March. He got into a fight with 4 people after a night of drinking. Kids. With 3 of our 4 DEs slated to be FAs, we can't afford to do nothing at DE. This kid can play.

3a. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama, 6'6", 320.
Time to shore up the OL and this round is my time to do it. Mike Johnson is a bulldozer in the running game and the number of declared underclassmen has pushed him into the 3rd round. He is good value here for sure. I know a lot of folks want Iupati. Johnson is in the same category and can be had a round later allowing us some added talent.
3b. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, IUP, 6'1", 205. You can never have enough CBs and this one is a Special teams ace. He averaged 29.7 yards on Kickoff Returns and 12.5 yards on Punt Returns and scored 5 times on Special Teams. Between him and Tate, we shore up return duties and free up Felix to simply run.

4. Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale, 6'8", 325. This kid is athletic for a mammoth. He has time to be groomed and be come a bookend with Free. O-line depth is my pet cat in this Draft more than individual players. He is a small school gamble that could pay off huge.

5. John Estes, C, Hawaii, 6'2, 300. He returns to my mock because I like his nasty side and I want to make sure we have depth across the OL.

6. LaGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon, 6'2", 240. Yes, the guy who punched the trash talker and then went after fans who were taunting him. He is a late round steal and a goal line threat. Despite what you saw on TV, he is not a bad kid. Choice becomes the work horse, Felix the game changer and shares the primary load. I especially get Felix involved in the passing game on 3rd downs. Blount can be a short yardage option who can help a little at FB too.

7. Mickey Shuler, TE, Penn State, 6'4", 250. A great blocking TE. With the emergence of John Phillips and him showing some potential in the receiving game it was worth a shot to look at TE. This is just for fun anyway.

I like it.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Hostile;3246232 said:
3a. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama, 6'6", 320. Time to shore up the OL and this round is my time to do it. Mike Johnson is a bulldozer in the running game and the number of declared underclassmen has pushed him into the 3rd round. He is good value here for sure. I know a lot of folks want Iupati. Johnson is in the same category and can be had a round later allowing us some added talent.

mmm, nice call.

Also love the PSU flavor but If I'm looking at a PSU TE I would live to find room for Andrew Quarless. If that kid gets his head in the game he's a freak.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;3247043 said:
mmm, nice call.

Also love the PSU flavor but If I'm looking at a PSU TE I would live to find room for Andrew Quarless. If that kid gets his head in the game he's a freak.
I had him in a mock a month ago

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3247123 said:
I had him in a mock a month ago

It's a good call.

Also like that you have Geathers in your mock. I think he's a beast in hiding. He still has room to grow into his frame. With a little coaching someone will have something with this kid. Can you imagine after 2 years having a 6'7" 300+ DE that runs a sub 5 fourty?!?!?!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I appreciated a lot of the comments. This was not my favorite mock, but it was fun thinking about trades for picks. Even if none of those players are going anywhere.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3247615 said:
I appreciated a lot of the comments. This was not my favorite mock, but it was fun thinking about trades for picks. Even if none of those players are going anywhere.

You think we can get some picks for Barber and Martellus?

I wonder if we could package Martellus in a deal for the Browns 2nd rounder.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3247625 said:
You think we can get some picks for Barber and Martellus?

I wonder if we could package Martellus in a deal for the Browns 2nd rounder.

Bennett still has some value but I think his recent play has damaged that. I'm sure other teams have noticed that he doesn't always know the plays and doesn't always go all out. I like him, I like his potential a lot, but he has some growing up to do.

It's almost as if we need to wait on him to have another monster training camp and/or pre-season and then trade him when his value is highest.

Again, I like Bennett but I'd have zero problem with us going into next season with Witten, Phillips, and a Rodney Hannah or Scott Chandler on the roster.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3247660 said:
Bennett still has some value but I think his recent play has damaged that. I'm sure other teams have noticed that he doesn't always know the plays and doesn't always go all out. I like him, I like his potential a lot, but he has some growing up to do.

It's almost as if we need to wait on him to have another monster training camp and/or pre-season and then trade him when his value is highest.

Again, I like Bennett but I'd have zero problem with us going into next season with Witten, Phillips, and a Rodney Hannah or Scott Chandler on the roster.

In some ways Bennett gives me a TO vibe; if he isn't the focal he loses concentration, doesn't go all out, etc. Vast potential but I just don't get the feeling that football is his first love.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It's a very interesting draft. The only thing I don't like is that we don't have a playmaking FS in there anywhere. But then again I guess you can't fill every need in one year. :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think trading Bennett would be an enormous mistake. Not only for the TE position, but if there is a possibility of him converting to OL.

He is a physical freak. He just needs time.