Media player?

CowboysFan02

Degree or Bust
Reaction score
Hey guys what media player do you use? And can you recommend any that work well for displaying video on a TV?

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
The video player itself shouldn't determine whether it plays on the t.v...I believe that falls under the graphics card. At least that's what I did with my laptop (I have ATI that came with it and installed the driver from the Toshiba website).

Media players, I use media classic that's available from sld codec here. Once installed go to any media file, right-click and select open with. The player will be at c:\Program Files\SLD Codec Pack\mplayerc.exe. By far the best for me whenever I watch video on t.v. I've even had relatives over and we watched movies on the t.v. that were stored on my laptop.

I also reccomend VLC player here (But will admit I've never used it for tv). The beauty of this one is *Looks around to make sure boss isn't watching* that you can use this at work to watch DVDs, Divx files and other encoded videos. Some workplaces don't allow you to install codecs (Such as sld codec), so if you're stuck at work late and night and want to catch a video, you download the zipped version here.
- So how does this work? Simple, create a folder anywhere (I prefer the desktop) and name it whatever you want. Open the zipped file and extract the contents into the zipped folder, whereas most Windows apps will create a folder in C:\program files\ this app extracts everything to your desktop folder that you just created. Now go into you created folder and select the orange cone that says "VLC" and if you wish to uninstall, simply delete the folder on your desktop.
** Note - Only the zipped version works this way, if you download the executable version it'll try to install on C:\program files and unless you had admin rights won't work **

Back to watching on t.v. I'll give you the rundown of how I do mine and hopefully this will help, I have an S Video cable and for the sound I bought a splitter from Radio Shack (About 8 bucks), this connection has one connection on one end and on the other the two RCA audio jacks (Red/White).

1) Before starting, turn the PC off. This doesn't work (Or it hasn't for me) unless done with the laptop powered off.
2) Plug in the S Video into your laptop/PC and the other end into your TV
3) Take the splitter, insert the one end into your headphone jack, the other end plug the RCA Red/White into your TV
4) Power PC on, turn tv on. Make sure you have it on the proper video
5) Wait until PC is fully powered on and viola, you should be good to go. Open your video file using the media player classic from SLD Codec, once the video starts hit Alt+Enter (This puts it on full screen), turn the sound up and enjoy watching video on t.v.

If you have any questions feel free to ask...