Medical Nightmares, Some Malpractice, And a Prescription

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I still think it's the Garrett stink still in the locker room

I think the stink emanates from above and isn't going anywhere. Maybe someday they'll prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What team has had a draft pick taken for tanking?

I have to sit corrected on this. I know because there has been a lot of talk in articles about tanking and the possible loss of the 1st round pick I thought it been done, but thus far over the years the league has just sent 15 different communications to teams after the 2nd from the last game of the season stating that if they continue they will lose their 1st round pick, but thus far they have not actually taken a pick. It's also been reported that the competition committee is tired of this every year and have said they are going to start enforcing the no tank rule they have.

conner01

Reaction score
I have to sit corrected on this. I know because there has been a lot of talk in articles about tanking and the possible loss of the 1st round pick I thought it been done, but thus far over the years the league has just sent 15 different communications to teams after the 2nd from the last game of the season stating that if they continue they will lose their 1st round pick, but thus far they have not actually taken a pick. It's also been reported that the competition committee is tired of this every year and have said they are going to start enforcing the no tank rule they have.
Impossible to enforce
You gonna tell a team they have to start this player or that player?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Impossible to enforce
You gonna tell a team they have to start this player or that player?

Because they haven't actually enforced this rule yet does not mean it's impossible to enforce. There is a rule that states all teams must legitimately try to win all games. The owners have also said they are tired of letting teams out and out tank or do a bad disguise of tanking and there will come a day, much sooner rather than later that they will start to take draft picks. Playing young inexperienced players instead of starters falls under that bad disguise of tanking.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Because they haven't actually enforced this rule yet does not mean it's impossible to enforce. There is a rule that states all teams must legitimately try to win all games. The owners have also said they are tired of letting teams out and out tank or do a bad disguise of tanking and there will come a day, much sooner rather than later that they will start to take draft picks. Playing young inexperienced players instead of starters falls under that bad disguise of tanking.
Not sure where you are going with this. Are you concerned about punishment should the Cowboys give Zeke fewer carries? Or should they give Robinson some snaps in the DB? Or should they not rush Diggs back late in the season? Or should they start Dinucci in a game or two? Or Gilbert?

Given all the injuries, one might argue the Cowboys really couldn't tank if they tried. You gonna sit out Tyron Smith? Or Collins? Or Biadasz? Or Jarwin? Or McCoy? Or Hill? Or Prescott?

Injuries have already tanked them. You think the NFL will strip a draft pick because Gilbert starts over Dalton at some point?

What decisions could they make so egregiously and obviously designed to assure a loss? I'm truly curious.

They are al

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Not sure where you are going with this. Are you concerned about punishment should the Cowboys give Zeke fewer carries? Or should they give Robinson some snaps in the DB? Or should they not rush Diggs back late in the season? Or should they start Dinucci in a game or two? Or Gilbert?

Given all the injuries, one might argue the Cowboys really couldn't tank if they tried. You gonna sit out Tyron Smith? Or Collins? Or Biadasz? Or Jarwin? Or McCoy? Or Hill? Or Prescott?

Injuries have already tanked them. You think the NFL will strip a draft pick because Gilbert starts over Dalton at some point?

What decisions could they make so egregiously and obviously designed to assure a loss? I'm truly curious.

They are al

First off Prescott and the tackles are done for the year so their replacements wouldn't be held against the Cowboys. Diggs was a starter and if he's cleared to play and they chose not to that could be something they might look at. Elliott is a starter and to drastically reduce his snaps would be another thing they would look at. What they will look at with all teams in the running for a top 5 pick will be are they not playing their STARTERS and playing young inexperienced players instead. If starters are injured they have no other choice, but to just sit them is something they would be looking at. Even with all the injuries the Cowboys have they came close to beating the only unbeaten team in the league. It came down to the last drive. Dinucci probably won't even be active for games now if Dalton is able to play. It will be Dalton, Gilbert and Rush.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
First off Prescott and the tackles are done for the year so their replacements wouldn't be held against the Cowboys. Diggs was a starter and if he's cleared to play and they chose not to that could be something they might look at. Elliott is a starter and to drastically reduce his snaps would be another thing they would look at. What they will look at with all teams in the running for a top 5 pick will be are they not playing their STARTERS and playing young inexperienced players instead. If starters are injured they have no other choice, but to just sit them is something they would be looking at. Even with all the injuries the Cowboys have they came close to beating the only unbeaten team in the league. It came down to the last drive. Dinucci probably won't even be active for games now if Dalton is able to play. It will be Dalton, Gilbert and Rush.
I think I failed to make my point. Their front-line starters are already out, in many cases. They can't sit them out. They are gone.

We are talking about narrow differences in who plays. Maybe it's McGovern over William's. Maybe it's Thomas getting more LB snaps. Maybe it's Robinson over Lewis.

There just aren't many positions at which Dallas could make a change that would point obviously to an effort not to win.

conner01

Reaction score
Trotting out players like Robinson or Anae you drafted, a QB who kept you in a game against Steelers
Good luck saying a team is tanking
Other than pulling a star QB for no reason you’d never have a legitimate argument a team was tanking
Just hand zeke the ball 30 times, he will fumble enough to keep up in the top 5 picks
The reason it’s never happened is it’s impossible to prove a team tanked unless they are really stupid
I can’t think of any drafts picks ever taken other than for cheating

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Trotting out players like Robinson or Anae you drafted, a QB who kept you in a game against Steelers
Good luck saying a team is tanking
Other than pulling a star QB for no reason you’d never have a legitimate argument a team was tanking
Just hand zeke the ball 30 times, he will fumble enough to keep up in the top 5 picks
The reason it’s never happened is it’s impossible to prove a team tanked unless they are really stupid
I can’t think of any drafts picks ever taken other than for cheating

How does it feel being able to talk for the NFL owners? A better question to ask is how do the NFL owners feel about you making their decisions for them. I wonder how they feel about you deciding that they can not use an actual rule in the NFL.

conner01

Reaction score
How does it feel being able to talk for the NFL owners? A better question to ask is how do the NFL owners feel about you making their decisions for them. I wonder how they feel about you deciding that they can not use an actual rule in the NFL.
There has never been a team lose draft picks except for cheating
It’s just a fact

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
And yet, and yet... they’re a game and a half out of first place with a legit chance to win this dreadful division.. provided Gilbert plays. If the red statue plays, hello top 5 pick.
Déjà vu from last season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There has never been a team lose draft picks except for cheating
It’s just a fact

That is correct and even though the owners on the competition committee have said they are tired of hearing and reading about teams that obviously tanked to help their draft status and have said they are considering using an already approved rule, you have this giant ego that says they can't and won't making their decision for them. How do you get your head through regular doorways?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

And I think you're trying to talk about something you have no 1st hand knowledge of or even any actual reports saying that. I could say it's because they didn't replace the flooring in the locker room is why and be just as worthless as your statement.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I think you're trying to talk about something you have no 1st hand knowledge of or even any actual reports saying that. I could say it's because they didn't replace the flooring in the locker room is why and be just as worthless as your statement.
That's why I said, I think!! Jeezus, lighten up!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys were mediocre coming out of the gate, partially from having a new coaching staff and a deeply disrupted off-season. The disappointing start masks the carnage since.

The team lost to injury for part or all the season at least 17 players counted on to start or to play key roles. Nine of those losses were for multiple games, including the loss of QB1, the starting OTs, the TE, rhe presumed starters at DT, the best LB and the presumed best CB. Add to that the retirement of an all-pro C.

Players such as OG Martin, OT Knight, CB Brown and LB Lee missed significant time. OT Erving, C Looney and G Biadasz missed time. QB2 missed time. Finally, they even lost the punter, which while maybe not impactful is a metaphor for a lost season. Or maybe we could choose as the season's symbol the decision of the presumed FB to opt out.

Now the promising rookie CB will be out for most or all the remaining games. One must assume, given what has happened, another player or two will go down.

The team miscalculated on Griffen and Clinton-Dix, which left thin positions thinner. They miscalculated on Poe. We might throw in McCoy. They were not blindsided by his injury.

The revolving door OL has impacted Elliott, who hasn't played that well regardless. The loss of QB1 neutralized the team's greatest strength, WR.

Jaylon Smith is most effective when paired with Vander Esch, and the latter missed multiple games.

The team's strengths (QB1 and OL) were wiped out. The loss of those strengths was Kryptonite to Elliott.

A shaky secondary has been a revolving door due to injuries and the Clinton-Dix fiasco.

The Cowboys can't point to a single strength unless QB play is adequate to allow the WRs to shine.

By games 15 and 16, the Cowboys might well "rest" players such as Elliott, Martin, Lawrence and Vander Esch should they not be, by then, legitimately injured. They might ask Dinucci to take the bullet in the name of experience and "seeing what we have."

The schedule is weak enough for 3-4 more wins to be found, but I suspect, unless they come in a sudden burst and soon, the lineup will look like a practice squad the last 2-3 games.

I'm don't recall a Cowboys team hit with such a wave of injuries to key players, including at the most critical position, QB. That multiplied the negative impact of a disastrous crop of free agent signings.

This is a team absent Pro Bowl or near Pro Bowl talent in Frederick, who retired, Smith, Collins, Prescott, Martin for a couple of games and Vander Esch. OT is a hospital ward. Awuzie would have been better than his replacements.

A promising rookie class saw Biadasz and now Diggs go down to injury. Lamb's impact has been deeply impaired by the QB issues.

Most likely, the ceiling on remaining wins is 3. Realistically, they might win 1 or 2. I will forecast 2 more wins, a 4-12 finish and pick 3-5 in the draft. They are more likely to lose out than to win 4 more.

There is talent on the field, but the holes are deep and the strengths are exacerbated by the QB and OL circumstances.

In the hope Elliott hasn't lost as much tread on the tires as it has appeared at times, I would cap his remaining carries this season at, say, 75. Let's see if he can come back fresh in 2021 and reclaim some of the lost burst and downfield speed. That isn't tanking. That is preserving a valuable asset in a circumstance in which he is sure to absorb inordinate punishment.

The Cowboys would be smart to see what they have in the young LBs. Let Robinson sink or swim in the D backfield. Give Aenee some time. Find out whether they have a QB2 if Dalton doesn't return.

Tanking is mischaracterized unless the team quits on the coaching staff. The players on the field want to win and to preserve their jobs. The coaches can't and won't encourage them to play badly, of course. But there is nothing wrong with being smart, promoting youth and finding out about the back of the roster. All that has future value.
Is that you, Urban?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6Fy.gif

conner01

Reaction score
That is correct and even though the owners on the competition committee have said they are tired of hearing and reading about teams that obviously tanked to help their draft status and have said they are considering using an already approved rule, you have this giant ego that says they can't and won't making their decision for them. How do you get your head through regular doorways?
Taking a draft pick is rare and only used in clear cut cheating cases
14 times since 1980
Every time for cheating in some manner such as tampering, deflate gate, bounty gate, salary cap violations
Things that are easy to prove

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Taking a draft pick is rare and only used in clear cut cheating cases
14 times since 1980
Every time for cheating in some manner such as tampering, deflate gate, bounty gate, salary cap violations
Things that are easy to prove

What you just don't seem to get is first, the NFL ALREADY has a rule that REQUIRES ALL teams to do their best to win EVERY game. Next the NFL IS NOT a court of law where things have to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. In one of the imperfections of the NFL goodell hands out punishment and then on appeals he also hears the appeals and makes his rulings. Next because you don't see the competition committee finally doing what they have said they just might start doing, does not in ANY MEANS makes your opinion on this matter. Now that committee does make some exceptions like with the Cowboys in week 17 in 2016 when they sat some starters and played some for only a series because the Cowboys had already locked up the #1 seeding in the playoffs so win or lose it wouldn't change that. In that case losing didn't help the Cowboys, didn't hurt them either. That's different than teams tanking trying to get a top 5 pick in the draft which would help that team by losing. Try looking at things without your Perry Mason glasses on.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys were mediocre coming out of the gate, partially from having a new coaching staff and a deeply disrupted off-season. The disappointing start masks the carnage since.

The team lost to injury for part or all the season at least 17 players counted on to start or to play key roles. Nine of those losses were for multiple games, including the loss of QB1, the starting OTs, the TE, rhe presumed starters at DT, the best LB and the presumed best CB. Add to that the retirement of an all-pro C.

Players such as OG Martin, OT Knight, CB Brown and LB Lee missed significant time. OT Erving, C Looney and G Biadasz missed time. QB2 missed time. Finally, they even lost the punter, which while maybe not impactful is a metaphor for a lost season. Or maybe we could choose as the season's symbol the decision of the presumed FB to opt out.

Now the promising rookie CB will be out for most or all the remaining games. One must assume, given what has happened, another player or two will go down.

The team miscalculated on Griffen and Clinton-Dix, which left thin positions thinner. They miscalculated on Poe. We might throw in McCoy. They were not blindsided by his injury.

The revolving door OL has impacted Elliott, who hasn't played that well regardless. The loss of QB1 neutralized the team's greatest strength, WR.

Jaylon Smith is most effective when paired with Vander Esch, and the latter missed multiple games.

The team's strengths (QB1 and OL) were wiped out. The loss of those strengths was Kryptonite to Elliott.

A shaky secondary has been a revolving door due to injuries and the Clinton-Dix fiasco.

The Cowboys can't point to a single strength unless QB play is adequate to allow the WRs to shine.

By games 15 and 16, the Cowboys might well "rest" players such as Elliott, Martin, Lawrence and Vander Esch should they not be, by then, legitimately injured. They might ask Dinucci to take the bullet in the name of experience and "seeing what we have."

The schedule is weak enough for 3-4 more wins to be found, but I suspect, unless they come in a sudden burst and soon, the lineup will look like a practice squad the last 2-3 games.

I'm don't recall a Cowboys team hit with such a wave of injuries to key players, including at the most critical position, QB. That multiplied the negative impact of a disastrous crop of free agent signings.

This is a team absent Pro Bowl or near Pro Bowl talent in Frederick, who retired, Smith, Collins, Prescott, Martin for a couple of games and Vander Esch. OT is a hospital ward. Awuzie would have been better than his replacements.

A promising rookie class saw Biadasz and now Diggs go down to injury. Lamb's impact has been deeply impaired by the QB issues.

Most likely, the ceiling on remaining wins is 3. Realistically, they might win 1 or 2. I will forecast 2 more wins, a 4-12 finish and pick 3-5 in the draft. They are more likely to lose out than to win 4 more.

There is talent on the field, but the holes are deep and the strengths are exacerbated by the QB and OL circumstances.

In the hope Elliott hasn't lost as much tread on the tires as it has appeared at times, I would cap his remaining carries this season at, say, 75. Let's see if he can come back fresh in 2021 and reclaim some of the lost burst and downfield speed. That isn't tanking. That is preserving a valuable asset in a circumstance in which he is sure to absorb inordinate punishment.

The Cowboys would be smart to see what they have in the young LBs. Let Robinson sink or swim in the D backfield. Give Aenee some time. Find out whether they have a QB2 if Dalton doesn't return.

Tanking is mischaracterized unless the team quits on the coaching staff. The players on the field want to win and to preserve their jobs. The coaches can't and won't encourage them to play badly, of course. But there is nothing wrong with being smart, promoting youth and finding out about the back of the roster. All that has future value.

Hey, bud since Zekes and Daks rookie season this team has mediocrity written all over it.
Injuries or not I have no idea what team you have been watching the last 4 seasons?