Meet Isaiah Simmons: The Freakiest Athlete In College Football

bodi

Reaction score
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/meet-isaiah-simmons--the-freakiest-athlete-in-college-football

THE ATHLETE
There’s no one quite like him.

I’ve tried to find ways to describe Simmons’ athleticism, but have come to a simple conclusion - you can’t.

Born into a strong athletic bloodline (father ran track and older brother played QB/S for Kansas) - Simmons’ physique is so absurd it’s hard to quantify.

An elite track star at the high school level, he won 3 straight long jump state titles, as well as running the 200-meter dash in a blistering 22.07 seconds - good for 2nd in the state. To put that in perspective, Odell Beckham ran it in 22.31 seconds at the same age. Sure, Simmons has gained weight since, but that’s still a stupid number for a linebacker.

Furthermore, Simmons has proven he still has that same speed from his early days, showcasing his elite burst in a video taken on May 1st of this year. The video shows him and fellow teammate Travis Etienne in a 40-yard dash, where both stay step for step the entire way.

Etienne is arguably the fastest RB in the nation - and an elite athlete himself. Simmons went toe to toe with him despite an extra 25 pounds, proving a sub 4.45 forty at the combine isn’t just possible, it’s probable.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
He's going to be what everyone thought Jaylon Smith was supposed to be, except much better coverage skills. He's a former safety converted to LB without losing his 4.4 speed. At safety he clocked at 4.31 in the 40 yard dash his freshman year, baring a trade up, a catastrophe to our season, or an injury to Simmons, there's no way Dallas will be in range in the 1st round of the draft to get him. I expect by the time the combine completes, he will be a top 10 pick in the draft.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/meet-isaiah-simmons--the-freakiest-athlete-in-college-football

THE ATHLETE
There’s no one quite like him.

I’ve tried to find ways to describe Simmons’ athleticism, but have come to a simple conclusion - you can’t.

Born into a strong athletic bloodline (father ran track and older brother played QB/S for Kansas) - Simmons’ physique is so absurd it’s hard to quantify.

An elite track star at the high school level, he won 3 straight long jump state titles, as well as running the 200-meter dash in a blistering 22.07 seconds - good for 2nd in the state. To put that in perspective, Odell Beckham ran it in 22.31 seconds at the same age. Sure, Simmons has gained weight since, but that’s still a stupid number for a linebacker.

Furthermore, Simmons has proven he still has that same speed from his early days, showcasing his elite burst in a video taken on May 1st of this year. The video shows him and fellow teammate Travis Etienne in a 40-yard dash, where both stay step for step the entire way.

Etienne is arguably the fastest RB in the nation - and an elite athlete himself. Simmons went toe to toe with him despite an extra 25 pounds, proving a sub 4.45 forty at the combine isn’t just possible, it’s probable.

He can be a better Kam Chancellor...……….and that's saying A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigdog

Reaction score
It said in the article he has improved his recognition, anticipation skills which is good. If his football IQ and instincts matches up with athleticism than the sky is the limit for this kid.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think Simmons is special but you have to find a spot for him. He could play Safety and nickel linebacker in the right scheme. He could play WILL in a 4-3 or the WILB in a 3-4. Not sure if he's physical enough to be an every down box linebacker. I would definitely find a way to get him on the field.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Sorry, but 22.07 isn't blistering. That translates into about a 4.5 in the 40. Good enough for a linebacker. Average to above average for a corner.
The low 21. would be blistering for the 200 meter dash. Anything under 21. and you're talking lightning.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good article, thanks for posting .........with his experience at safety AND LBer, I guarantee you he's going be a highly targeted player for the Cowboys.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
He’s a Kam Chancellor clone with even better speed. IF Richard is still here, I’m betting he’d DEFINITELY be a 1st Round target.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Simmons is special but you have to find a spot for him. He could play Safety and nickel linebacker in the right scheme. He could play WILL in a 4-3 or the WILB in a 3-4. Not sure if he's physical enough to be an every down box linebacker. I would definitely find a way to get him on the field.
Deion Jones but way better..... That's scary...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I love Simmon's potential but it's just hard to imagine in Dallas. On base nickel downs, he'd be good in Heath's spot closer to the LOS, but there aren't many big plays to be made from there. In passing sets, X Woods is so good in that robber role I don't think I'd want him to play in those spots and then...I guess you could do some 3-3-5 blitz looks to get him on the field more with LVE and Jaylon, but idk how practical that is.

Plus, two first-rounders, a second, and $20-something million on linebackers is a huge investment on one of the most replaceable positions in football.