Mel and Todd - Draft Questions 12/4/18

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/i...mcshay-answer-30-questions-rankings-prospects

1. Describe the 2019 quarterback class in one word.

Kiper: Can I have two words? Because I'll say extremely intriguing. The reason? Oregon's Justin Herbert isn't the clear-cut No. 1 quarterback anymore. Dwayne Haskins (Ohio State) is breathing down his neck after a phenomenal stretch to end the season. There's also Daniel Jones (Duke), who could be a mid-first-round pick. Then you have guys like Will Grier (West Virginia), Drew Lock (Missouri) and Ryan Finley (NC State) jockeying for position as potential Day 2 picks. There's a loooooong time to go until April, though, and all three of my top-ranked QBs are underclassmen who could return to school.

2. Where would Justin Herbert have ranked in the 2018 QB class?
McShay: Fifth. He'd be behind all four who went in the top 10 in 2018 (Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen). Herbert is my top-ranked guy in this class, and he has all the tools to be a good NFL starter. But the inconsistencies on tape showed this season, and another year at Oregon would really do him well. The rumblings that he'll return for his senior season aren't going away.

3. Wait, where's Kyler Murray?
Kiper: The Oklahoma quarterback still says he's sticking with baseball over football, even as he could win the Heisman Trophy on Saturday. (Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa, the quarterback he's competing with for the award and against in the College Football Playoff, is eligible for the 2020 class.) And Murray has 4.6 million reasons to do so -- that's the signing bonus he got from the Oakland A's, who took him No. 9 overall in the MLB draft. I have no doubt he'd get drafted if he entered the 2019 draft, though. Yes, he's small at 5-foot-10, but he's one of the best dual-threat college quarterbacks I've ever seen. The last Heisman Trophy winner to go undrafted, by the way? Oklahoma's Jason White.

4. Five teams took QBs in Round 1 last April. Which teams at the top of the board should look at QBs in 2019?
McShay: Well, I think we all know the Giants will be looking for one as they move into the post-Eli Manning era. Denver and Jacksonville pop out to me, especially after the Jags benched Blake Bortles. I'd also keep an eye on the Dolphins, who have a tough decision to make regarding Ryan Tannehill moving forward, and the Raiders. Does Jon Gruden want to move on from Derek Carr? Oakland does have three first-round picks.

5. Over/under 3.5 QBs in the first round?
Kiper: That's a tough one, but give me the under. If Herbert, Haskins and Jones all stay in the draft, they're the three. And if one of them decides to return to school, I feel great about going under. By the way, it's not unprecedented for top-ranked quarterbacks to come back for another year. Andrew Luck did it. Peyton Manning did it. Matt Leinart did it. And Herbert, Haskins and Jones aren't perfect prospects -- they could really improve with another year. That's what makes this QB class interesting -- we'll know definitively by Jan. 14, the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft.

6. OK, so who's the underclassman QB who could use another year of development?
McShay: Iowa's Nate Stanley. This really isn't a negative -- I think he has the tools to push for a starting job in the NFL one day, but he's just not there yet mentally. Plus, he has the coaching and system to really benefit from another year of college game experience.

7. We know QB isn't the strength of this class. What is?
Kiper: It's the defensive line. Ten of my top 25 prospects are defensive ends or tackles. I have 17 down defensive linemen with first- or second-round grades. This class is loaded with instant-impact pass-rushers and disruptors on the edge and in the interior. You should know about Ohio State's Nick Bosa by now, but keep an eye on Quinnen Williams (Alabama), Ed Oliver (Houston), Rashan Gary (Michigan) and Clelin Ferrell (Clemson) as potential top-10 picks.

8. Can teams find impact defensive linemen after Day 1?
McShay: Yes, that's what makes this class special. Teams are going to find starters on Day 2. I love the tape on Michigan defensive end Chase Winovich, for one. He's athletic, quick and tough as hell. A guy like Raekwon Davis(Alabama) will still be on the board on Day 2. He has some versatility and has flashed some pass-rushing upside in the past, picking up 8.5 sacks in 2017. I actually have nine defensive linemen currently outside my top-32 rankings who have at least a 70 grade. That's a lot.

9. Could Bosa go wire to wire as the No. 1 overall prospect?
Kiper: I expect him to -- he's clearly the best player in this class. Bosa's skill set is advanced for his age, and he has all the tools to be an elite NFL pass-rusher. Now, that doesn't mean he'll go No. 1 overall. We've seen teams trade up for quarterbacks before.

10. And there's no worry about Bosa's season-ending injury?
McShay: No, from everything I've heard, he'll be healthy and ready to go. The abdominal injury that ended his season and pushed him to leave Ohio State early isn't a long-term concern and shouldn't worry teams. Like Mel said, Bosa is the most talented player in this class.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
11. Who is the best edge rusher after Bosa?
Kiper: It's Kentucky's Josh Allen, a ferocious 6-foot-5, 230-pound outside linebacker who is perfect for a team that runs a 3-4 defense. He can bend the edge with a quick first step, and he has the length to move offensive tackles. I moved him up to No. 4 overall on my Big Board.

12. Who's the best NFL comparison for Oliver?
McShay: Oliver is getting comps to Aaron Donald due to size and motor, but the more I study Oliver, the less I see it. Oliver doesn't have Donald's hand usage and slipperiness as a pass-rusher, and the stats back up the tape -- Donald had two 11-sack seasons at Pitt, but Oliver is going to end his Houston career with 13.5 total. He's still a phenomenal prospect, and Atlanta's Grady Jarrett is a decent comp as an undersized DT who is highly disruptive but has never been a great finisher as a pass-rusher.

13. Which prospect has helped his stock the most this season?
Kiper: There's no question it's Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, a third-year sophomore who has been the most dominant defender in college football this season. If Bosa is the best edge rusher in this class, Williams is the best interior pass-rusher. He has risen all the way up to No. 2 on my board. He just wrecks games.

14. Which prospect has hurt his stock the most this season?
McShay: Stanford running back Bryce Love certainly hasn't helped his cause this year. The runner-up in the 2017 Heisman race just hasn't been the same player he was last season. Where is the dynamic runner we saw then? Durability is a concern as he has dealt with an ankle issue, and he averaged almost four fewer yards per carry this season. I see him as a Day 2 prospect right now, far from where we thought he might go last year.

15. Speaking of Love, is there a first-round running back in this class?
Kiper: No. There's no Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey or Ezekiel Elliott here. There are talented guys, but the value will be on Day 2 of the draft. Damien Harris (Alabama), Darrell Henderson (Memphis) and David Montgomery (Iowa State) top my rankings right now, but the combine is going to be huge for this group.

16. The Cardinals are the favorites to pick No. 1, and they already have a QB. Is it defense all the way?
McShay: Yes, and Bosa makes the most sense. It's not often you find a dominant pass-rusher who can play in any scheme. The Cards used their first four picks in the 2018 draft on offensive players, as well as four of seven in 2017, so I think they will look to help that defense. Bosa could be a force opposite Chandler Jones.

17. Is it QB or bust for the Giants in Round 1?
Kiper: It's a priority in the offseason, not necessarily in the draft. Could they sign a guy like Teddy Bridgewater in free agency? New York has a bunch of needs -- quarterback, right tackle, edge rusher, cornerback. GM Dave Gettleman needs to get the best player available with what is likely to be a top-10 pick.

18. Who are the guys we'll all be calling 'freaks' after the NFL combine?
McShay: Herbert is definitely one, but I also think the athleticism of Mississippi State safety Johnathan Abram and Bama tight end Irv Smith Jr. will turn some heads in Indianapolis. Abram is a powerful finisher with an explosive closing burst, and he flies to the line of scrimmage in run support. And Smith can spring the big gain -- he has two plays for more than 65 yards this season -- with his speed, even at 6-foot-4 and 241 pounds.

19. By the time it's April, Mel, of whom are people going to be saying, 'Oh, Kiper loves that guy!'
Kiper: If I can pick only one prospect, it's Michigan linebacker Devin Bush, a sideline-to-sideline linebacker who never has to come off the field. He flies to the football. And he's what NFL teams are looking for, in the mold of Roquan Smith, who went No. 8 overall in 2018. Bush has moved into the top 10 in my rankings. Bonus points: I scouted his dad, Devin Bush Sr., a first-round pick out of Florida State in 1995.

20. Who's your guy in this class, Todd?
McShay: Yeah, Bush is fun to watch, but my guy is definitely Quinnen Williams, who is No. 6 overall in my rankings. Coming into the season, the third-year sophomore was barely on the radar, but he has just been so awesome, outplaying the more highly touted members of that Alabama defensive line. He has quick feet and hands and is so strong at the point of attack.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
21. Jon Gruden and the Raiders have three first-round picks. How could they hit a home run on Day 1?
Kiper: Oakland needs everything. Seriously. Who are the stars on defense? Every position can be upgraded. Gruden needs weapons on offense. And there are questions about Derek Carr's future, though I think he's the right guy going forward. As of now, Oakland will have one top-three pick and two picks in the 20s. Bosa and Williams would be Gruden guys with that first pick -- he loves pass-rushers who finish. But this is going to be a long rebuild, and Oakland should go with the best prospect available.

22. The Packers have two first-round picks again. Should they go defense or get some help for Aaron Rodgers?
McShay: Help Rodgers! What are they doing? I just don't get it. How can you have this kind of talent at quarterback and not support him? All six of Green Bay's picks in the first three rounds of the past two drafts have been on defense. There will be some talented offensive linemen and receivers available in Round 1. They have to get some help for one of the greatest QBs in NFL history -- and get back to the playoffs.

23. Which defender is a perfect fit for today's NFL?
Kiper: LSU's Devin White is the guy here, another inside linebacker with great range and great speed, like Devin Bush. I have White rated a little higher than Bush right now. But when I think of perfect for today's NFL, I think of what every team is looking for -- defenders who are big enough to play the run and fast and athletic enough to cover tight ends and slot receivers. That's White.

24. Is there a clear-cut No. 1 corner in this class?
McShay: Greedy Williams is the most talented -- he's No. 2 overall on my board -- but the guy I think a lot of people are sleeping on is Georgia's Deandre Baker. This dude is one of the more instinctive corners I've evaluated in years, and he is so tough for his size. Those are often the most overlooked traits when looking at corners. Again, Williams is ranked a little higher, but I'm betting on Baker to become a really good NFL starter.

25. What about receivers -- can teams find a No. 1?
Kiper: I don't see a receiver going in the top 10, but it is a deep and talented class. Oklahoma's Marquise Brown is my top-ranked receiver, but he's more in the mold of Tyreek Hill as a smaller playmaker with game-changing speed. Parris Campbell (Ohio State), N'Keal Harry (Arizona State), Anthony Johnson(Buffalo) and A.J. Brown (Ole Miss) are right there, too. These guys need development time, however.

26. Who's your favorite prospect who likely won't be picked on Day 1?
McShay: I like Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley a lot as a late-round prospect. Yes, he's undersized. No, he doesn't have the arm strength of other smaller QBs who have had success in the NFL like Drew Brees and Russell Wilson. But as a Day 3 pick, I'd have no problem taking a shot on this dude. I'm not saying he's ever going to be a good NFL starter, but his football intelligence, competitiveness and toughness stand out.

27. For the first time since 2016, the Browns won't have the No. 1 pick. What do they need to inch toward the playoffs?
Kiper: Left tackle is far from settled. Desmond Harrison has flashed, but he went undrafted for a reason. Greg Robinson isn't the long-term answer there, either. The cornerback spot opposite Denzel Ward is also wide open, and there could be a few really good ones available where Cleveland picks. I'm sure Baker Mayfield wouldn't mind another receiver, too, as the Browns have gotten thin on the outside.

28. The Jags passed up a QB last year -- should they pick one this year?
McShay: Oh, yes. Why wouldn't they? I don't know that they will pick high enough to get Herbert, but I would take a shot on someone in Round 2 and then sign a veteran -- someone like Tyrod Taylor or Eli Manning. Duke's Jones or Grier of West Virginia would be interesting fits on Day 2.

29. Can teams get a legit offensive tackle in the first round this year?
Kiper: The best tackle on my board might not even be a tackle in the NFL. It's Alabama's Jonah Williams, who could be this year's Brandon Scherff, a big, physical lineman who either moves from left tackle to right tackle or down to guard at the next level. Greg Little (Ole Miss) is the best true tackle, and he has the feet to stay on the left side. College football isn't producing the Day 1 left tackle starters like it used to.

30. Alabama has had four first-rounders in each of the past two classes. Could it top that number this April, Todd?
McShay: Quinnen Williams, Jonah Williams and Deionte Thompson sure seem like locks, but then it gets a little hazy. I think Irv Smith Jr. will get taken on Day 1, as well, and then Mack Wilson or Damien Harris could push the number over. But none of those three is a guarantee, and Raekwon Davis is pretty much out of the first-round conversation at the moment. I could very well see another four-player first round for Bama.

sbark

Reaction score
Easton stick rising up the boards fast
Ndsu kid who took over after wentz
In fact went 9-1 while wentz hurt, wentz won the natty championship game
E.stick one win away from all time fcs wins for a qb
icon1.png
Re: The Easton Stick Mega Thread

Easton has some outside media fans now. This guys does podcasts for the Miami Dolphins. According to his tweets, Easton might be his third favorite QB this draft. He also has allegedly heard buzz about two super agents vying for Easton's services. We may see another big draft rise this year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ckparrot/...85773059649536
Can watch him in fcs natl championship game in Frisco Jan 5th
7 championship in 8 years if they get r done over eastern washington

Also keep an eye on lb #42 jabril cox....only a Jr, but will be in the nfl

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I bet Jacksonville trades with Arizona for #1 if Herbert or Haskins comes out