Mel Kiper Big Board posted 1-9-2005

stokee

Reaction score
1. Cedric Benson Sr. RB Texas
Four straight years with over 1,000 yards.

2. Dan Cody Sr. DT Oklahoma
A fiery, intense end who came on strong

3. Aaron Rodgers Jr. QB California
A smart, accurate, athletic passer.

4. Alex Smith Jr. QB Utah
Intelligent QB with good athletic ability

5. Ronnie Brown Sr. RB Auburn
A complete, explosive back who does it all.

6. Braylon Edwards Sr. WR Michigan
Has the size, speed and athleticism to dominate.

7. Carnell Williams Sr. RB Auburn
Very creative and deceptively strong runner.

8. Mike Williams Jr. WR USC
Terrific combo of size and strength.

9. Travis Johnson Sr. DT Fla. St.
Vastly improved and a dominant performer.

10. Derrick Johnson Sr. LB Texas
Strength, speed and a nose for the ball.

11. Troy Williamson Jr. WR So. Car.
The fastest receiver in the draft.

12. Shawne Merriman Jr. DE Maryland
Could play OLB, has a 41½-inch vertical.

13. Adam Jones Jr. CB W. Virginia
"Pac-Man" eats up receivers and ballcarriers.

14. Roddy White Sr. WR UAB
Elite size/speed combo at 6-1, 205 and 4.42

15. Erasmus James Sr. DE Wisconsin
Outstanding pass rusher who can play the run.

16. Antrel Rolle Sr. CB Miami
Great in coverage and a good tackler.

17. Alex Barron Sr. OT Fla. St.
6-6, 320 and an excellent pass blocker.

18. Shaun Cody Sr. DL USC
Vesrsatile performer at DT or DE.

19. Channing Crowder So. LB Florida
Ideal physical skills for a middle linebacker.

20. Thomas Davis Jr. S Georgia
Pushinshing tackler will be a LB in NFL.

21. Carlos Rogers Sr. DB Auburn
Auburn's best defensive player this season.

22. Jammal Brown Sr. OT Oklahoma
Equally adept at pass and run blocking.

23. Matt Roth Sr. DE Iowa
An outstanding natural pass rusher.

24. David Pollack Sr. DE Georgia
Incredible intensity and passion.

25. Bryant McFadden Sr. CB Fla. St.
Good athletic ability and willing in run support.

26. Justin Miller Jr. CB Clemson
Aggressive corner and terrific kick returner.

Eskimo

Reaction score
On Kiper's board right now there are 5 CBs rated 13-26.

Also consider that there are other highly rated CBs not even on that list such as Corey Webster, Browner and Marlin Jackson.

I'm thinking that a trade down from 20 down into the late first or early part of the 2nd and choosing a CB that slides there could be a very good draft strategy unless an impact player falls unexpectedly.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Does anybody know if Mel has re-signed with ESPN? Last I heard was that his current contract was set to expire before the draft I thought..

Also who has seen Pacman Jones play? How'd he rate above Rolle?

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo said:

Also consider that there are other highly rated CBs not even on that list such as Corey Webster, Browner and Marlin Jackson.

I'm thinking that a trade down from 20 down into the late first or early part of the 2nd and choosing a CB that slides there could be a very good draft strategy unless an impact player falls unexpectedly.

Corey Webster would have been a lock as a first round pick last year if he entered the draft early. He hurt his stock this season and will easily fall into the 2nd round. He could be there when we pick in the 2nd round.

Webster has slipped quite a bit. He got burned over and over again this past season. I am not sure I want him in Dallas. We have enough CBs that get burned repeatedly on this roster.

The plus for Webster is that he is 6'-1" tall, about the same size as Pete Hunter. We need that to keep up with receivers like TO.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Does anybody know if Mel has re-signed with ESPN? Last I heard was that his current contract was set to expire before the draft I thought..

Also who has seen Pacman Jones play? How'd he rate above Rolle?

Mel has resigned with ESPN. I heard about it recently. Thank gawd! Can you imagin draft day coverage without him?

Pacman Jones is the yellow guy that we all know so well. He chomps everything in sight and is married to Mrs. Pacman. :D

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
stokee said:
1. Cedric Benson Sr. RB Texas
Four straight years with over 1,000 yards. - A bit high

2. Dan Cody Sr. DT Oklahoma
A fiery, intense end who came on strong - WAY, WAY too high

3. Aaron Rodgers Jr. QB California
A smart, accurate, athletic passer. - Just right

4. Alex Smith Jr. QB Utah
Intelligent QB with good athletic ability - A bit high at this point

5. Ronnie Brown Sr. RB Auburn
A complete, explosive back who does it all. - A bit high

6. Braylon Edwards Sr. WR Michigan
Has the size, speed and athleticism to dominate. - A bit high

7. Carnell Williams Sr. RB Auburn
Very creative and deceptively strong runner. - Just right

8. Mike Williams Jr. WR USC
Terrific combo of size and strength. - Just right

9. Travis Johnson Sr. DT Fla. St.
Vastly improved and a dominant performer. - WAY too high

10. Derrick Johnson Sr. LB Texas
Strength, speed and a nose for the ball. - too low

11. Troy Williamson Jr. WR So. Car.
The fastest receiver in the draft. - WAY too high (who is this guy?)

12. Shawne Merriman Jr. DE Maryland
Could play OLB, has a 41½-inch vertical. (just right)

13. Adam Jones Jr. CB W. Virginia
"Pac-Man" eats up receivers and ballcarriers. (little too low)

14. Roddy White Sr. WR UAB
Elite size/speed combo at 6-1, 205 and 4.42 (see #11)
15. Erasmus James Sr. DE Wisconsin
Outstanding pass rusher who can play the run. (just right)

16. Antrel Rolle Sr. CB Miami
Great in coverage and a good tackler. (WAY too low)

17. Alex Barron Sr. OT Fla. St.
6-6, 320 and an excellent pass blocker. (WAY too low)

18. Shaun Cody Sr. DL USC
Vesrsatile performer at DT or DE. (just right)

19. Channing Crowder So. LB Florida
Ideal physical skills for a middle linebacker. (just right)

20. Thomas Davis Jr. S Georgia
Pushinshing tackler will be a LB in NFL. (a little too low)

21. Carlos Rogers Sr. DB Auburn
Auburn's best defensive player this season. (just right)

22. Jammal Brown Sr. OT Oklahoma
Equally adept at pass and run blocking. (a little too low)

23. Matt Roth Sr. DE Iowa
An outstanding natural pass rusher. (a bit high)

24. David Pollack Sr. DE Georgia
Incredible intensity and passion. (a little too low)

25. Bryant McFadden Sr. CB Fla. St.
Good athletic ability and willing in run support. (too high)

26. Justin Miller Jr. CB Clemson
Aggressive corner and terrific kick returner. (just right)

Seems like Mel is overvaluing WR and DT in this draft and undervaluing CB and OT.

I still think Cody at #2 is insane.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Eskimo said:

The Cowboys already have an early second round pick. No need to trade down just for a corner, they can get DL or maybe a WR with those first two picks. But moving around won't hurt for the right player and extra picks though.:D

Eskimo

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
The Cowboys already have an early second round pick. No need to trade down just for a corner, they can get DL or maybe a WR with those first two picks. But moving around won't hurt for the right player and extra picks though.:D

I'm kind of getting at this could be a situation like Julius last year where we had several similarily rated RBs available at our slot. Instead of picking one, we traded down and got one of our choices anyways. The same thing could happen this year where we will have 5 CBs with very similar grades when we are on the clock - what do we do - try and find a trade partner who will maybe gives us a couple of extra picks so they can get the guy they want. Meanwhile, we get on e of the guys we want anyways and don't have to pay him as much to boot.

Now if a definite playmaker slips to us at 20, just make the pick. My dream draft right now involving such a scenario:

11. Mike Williams
20. Shawn Merriman
42. Carlos Rogers or Justin Tuck (unlikely at 42, but you can always dream)

Three starters and three playmakers from day one of the draft.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Every year Mel Kiper gets obsessed with one player and artificially blows him up beyond what he really is.
This years Mel Kiper mancrush player: Cedric Benson.

How in the hell is this guy #1??? He's not even close to being the best RB in the Big12. Vernon Morency is way better than this guy.

Skeptic

Reaction score
Avery said:
Seems like Mel is overvaluing WR and DT in this draft and undervaluing CB and OT.

Even as an OU fan, I have to say that Cody is not worth a 2 overall pick at all.

IF Cody is there at our second pick, hell, Jerry drafts him and attendance and performance coincide with draft status.

Otherwise, if I'm Miami.....I'd stay away.

Even as a hardcore OU fan, I wouldn't pay him that type of cash.

Daaamn.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
NumOneQB said:
Every year Mel Kiper gets obsessed with one player and artificially blows him up beyond what he really is.

How in the hell is this guy #1??? He's not even close to being the best RB in the Big12. Vernon Morency is way better than this guy.

Over reacting much?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ya know I love Mel's presence and that he gets the draft juices flowing but his boards always irritate me because he changes them so much. He will likely have Benson as the 3rd best RB come combine time. Why? Because Benson isn't fast. Mel knows the NFL will downgrade him for that so he will too at the last possible second.

I hjave no major problems with his board but yes Benson is too high. He lacks Ricky Williams' speed tho has his strength and durability. Not sure if he has his penchant for greenery or not but indications are he has at least dabbled.

I know alot of fols love Derrick Johnson but I like Burnett out of Tennessee more. I think he is less flashy but misses fewer tackles. Derrick is a little like RW to me in that there is a boom or bust factor in his play.

All that said if Dallas simply took the guys rated 11 and 20 right now I think we'd win 3 more games next year.

Troy Williamson is a serious speed WR with good enough hands to be a threat every play. He's a little like Joey Galloway and that scares me but in a rookie on a team with a need for more playmakers he would help.

Thomas Davis is a Larry Lacewell selection if he's here. Lace loves UGA and the SEC in general. He might be a better pro than RW. If he's there at 20 we will have our interchangeable safeties. Neither is a pure cover guy but WR's will take out Lloyd's of London policies before they play us.

nathanlt

Reaction score
It's amazing how Kipers #2 pick discounts his entire Big Board credibility. Dan Cody isn't even the top DE on most boards. And he's not likely to play DE in the pros anyway.

jimmy40

Reaction score
NumOneQB said:

Wow, Jan 10 and we already have a winner for dumbarse post of the year. I guess giving up 50 unaswered points to UT and Cedrick Benson two years in a row must really suck.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Avery said:

Kiper has them too high but both are on my top 40 list. Evans went at 13 last year.............

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I'm kind of getting at this could be a situation like Julius last year where we had several similarily rated RBs available at our slot. Instead of picking one, we traded down and got one of our choices anyways. The same thing could happen this year where we will have 5 CBs with very similar grades when we are on the clock - what do we do - try and find a trade partner who will maybe gives us a couple of extra picks so they can get the guy they want. Meanwhile, we get on e of the guys we want anyways and don't have to pay him as much to boot.

Now if a definite playmaker slips to us at 20, just make the pick. My dream draft right now involving such a scenario:

11. Mike Williams
20. Shawn Merriman
42. Carlos Rogers or Justin Tuck (unlikely at 42, but you can always dream)

Three starters and three playmakers from day one of the draft.
If Dallas gets those three players in the first two rounds I will give Jerrah the biggest hummah evaaahhhh.

I was thinking either derrick johnson or merriman at 11 and alex barron at 20 but your scenario would definitely be outstanding-lets hope this happens- our defense would go from worst to top half instantly

NumOneQB

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Wow, Jan 10 and we already have a winner for dumbarse post of the year. I guess giving up 50 unaswered points to UT and Cedrick Benson two years in a row must really suck.

After seeing who your first round pick is listed at in your sig, I can see where your allegiance lies. Take off your Burnt Orange glasses. I'm not even an Okie St. fan. We're not talking about college teams here, jacka$$. We're talking NFL prospects. And yes, Texas is the better team when compared to Okie St. Cedric Benson is not the best Rb in the draft. Oh and could you answer this question for me, when in teh hell did the Doak Walker Award become a lifetime achievement award?? Did Mack Brown cry to the Doak voters for that one as well???