CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
You mean people still think Mel Kiper knows a darn about the draft? :lmao2:

Big Dakota

Reaction score
CowboyMike;1449013 said:

So what you're saying is you know more?? Do you talk to GMs/scouts? Guys like Kiper and Goose talk to the REAL football men. They don't look at film, per se, they get it from the horse's mouth. They admit as much, if you've EVER heard them talk This "mith" that these guys know nothing may vary well be TRUE!!!! But they know more than U when it comes to what these teams think.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1449015 said:
So what you're saying is you know more?? Do you talk to GMs/scouts? Guys like Kiper and Goose talk to the REAL football men. They don't look at film, per se, they get it from the horse's mouth. They admit as much, if you've EVER heard them talk This "mith" that these guys know nothing may vary well be TRUE!!!! But they know more than U when it comes to what these teams think.

I never said I know more, especially considering this year's draft. I haven't paid attention one bit this year. But I do know that Kiper has been passed by in his draft analysis. He's a joke nowadays.

I never said ANYTHING about Goose. Did I imply anything about any of the other scouts and draft experts? No.

The fact is Kiper has become arrogant and has been wrong too many times recently for me to take him seriously anymore. Watching draft day on ESPN nowadays is filled with him defending his "expert opinion" because he was wrong. I picked a more accurate first round last year than he did. Most of us here can pick a better draft than he can. Back in the day he was a pioneer, now he just goes by his reputation. That is not enough in today's NFL.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
CowboyMike;1449017 said:
I never said I know more, especially considering this year's draft. I haven't paid attention one bit this year. But I do know that Kiper has been passed by in his draft analysis. He's a joke nowadays.

I never said ANYTHING about Goose. Did I imply anything about any of the other scouts and draft experts? No.

The fact is Kiper has become arrogant and has been wrong too many times recently for me to take him seriously anymore. Watching draft day on ESPN nowadays is filled with him defending his "expert opinion" because he was wrong. I picked a more accurate first round last year than he did. Most of us here can pick a better draft than he can. Back in the day he was a pioneer, now he just goes by his reputation. That is not enough in today's NFL.

So basically you have a hardon for Kiper? I could give a rip about Mel, but to think i'd trust CowboyMike more???:laugh2:

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1449018 said:
So basically you have a hardon for Kiper? I could give a rip about Mel, but to think i'd trust CowboyMike more???:laugh2:

Dude did you even read my post? You just said the exact opposite of what I typed. Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyMike;1449017 said:
But I do know that Kiper has been passed by in his draft analysis. He's a joke nowadays.

That simply isn't true. His information on players is usually pretty darn correct. His mocks are always off because that isn't his speciality.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theogt;1449050 said:

It is pointless to rank Kiper against others in terms of a mock draft.

I don't believe he really is very interested in being right about to what team the players go to. It is pretty obvious he puts next to no effort into it.

He is more concerned about ranking what round and assigning value to the player. And he is pretty accurate in that regard.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest, this debate always cracks me up. These draft guys go to a lot of trouble to weigh these players and figure out where they rank and create a Mock Draft for the fans to read and consider. It's for your enjoyment. That's it. It isn't meant to be a 100% bulletproof lock of what is going to happen.

It amuses me and amazes me how they "don't know anything and should be ignored" in the minds of so many. Someone, make that anyone, tell me who had Donte Whitner going to the Bills at #8 last year. Can anyone produce even one Draft prognosticator who had that?

Hell no you can't. Know why? Because these guys do not work for NFL teams and are not privy to what they feel are their biggest needs and biggest desires. They simply do the best they can to provide the information for fan entertainment.

Translation...how these guys do on Mock Drafts is irrelevant to how good they are at what they do. Completely irrelevant. I admire when someone has a good Mock as much as the next guy. A bad mock does NOTHING to discredit any of these guys. The value of what they do lies not in a Mock Draft, but in their scouting reports of the players selected.

Anyone who wants to tell me that Kiper doesn't do a good job there, and all of the other guys too, is out of their freaking minds. The hours that they put into research and analysis without the benefit of direct phone lines to the 32 teams is hard work and it is staggering to think about.

I repeat, for your ENTERTAINMENT. The sooner that knowledge penetrates some rock hard craniums the better. I do not mean this to be a shot at anybody. If you don't like Kiper, don't like him. But for the love of Pete stop basing it on a Mock Draft.

Mock people, Mock. Do I need to define the friggin' word for you?

JPM

Reaction score
Alexander;1449100 said:
I don't believe he really is very interested in being right about to what team the players go to. It is pretty obvious he puts next to no effort into it.

He is more concerned about ranking what round and assigning value to the player. And he is pretty accurate in that regard.

He doesn't even like putting a mock out, but he does it because his fans ask for it. I've seen him say that in his chats.

maclevel

Reaction score
Well to be as arrogant as Mel Kiper and 2 years ago tell about 4 teams that they were wrong to pass on the best ranked player in the draft Mike Williams even though he sat out the entire year and to never admit man maybe I was wrong Kiper is way overhyped. Yes he talks to insiders big deal you watch alot of players every sat in college like the rest of us and it is a crap shoot period. My big problem, with Kiper is his arrogance.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;1449120 said:
I'm going to be honest, this debate always cracks me up. These draft guys go to a lot of trouble to weigh these players and figure out where they rank and create a Mock Draft for the fans to read and consider. It's for your enjoyment. That's it. It isn't meant to be a 100% bulletproof lock of what is going to happen.

It amuses me and amazes me how they "don't know anything and should be ignored" in the minds of so many. Someone, make that anyone, tell me who had Donte Whitner going to the Bills at #8 last year. Can anyone produce even one Draft prognosticator who had that?

Hell no you can't. Know why? Because these guys do not work for NFL teams and are not privy to what they feel are their biggest needs and biggest desires. They simply do the best they can to provide the information for fan entertainment.

Translation...how these guys do on Mock Drafts is irrelevant to how good they are at what they do. Completely irrelevant. I admire when someone has a good Mock as much as the next guy. A bad mock does NOTHING to discredit any of these guys. The value of what they do lies not in a Mock Draft, but in their scouting reports of the players selected.

Anyone who wants to tell me that Kiper doesn't do a good job there, and all of the other guys too, is out of their freaking minds. The hours that they put into research and analysis without the benefit of direct phone lines to the 32 teams is hard work and it is staggering to think about.

I repeat, for your ENTERTAINMENT. The sooner that knowledge penetrates some rock hard craniums the better. I do not mean this to be a shot at anybody. If you don't like Kiper, don't like him. But for the love of Pete stop basing it on a Mock Draft.

Mock people, Mock. Do I need to define the friggin' word for you?

Actually im pretty sure that the guy from PFW had whitner going to the bills.

Reaction score
When your business is professing your educated opinion on a topic for which EVERYBODY has an opinion(educated or otherwise) you're gonna be targeted for ridicule and disagreed with. I have no particular dislike for Kiper, but I have no sympathy for him either,,, part of his draft day schtick is ridiculing and disagreeing with the choices teams make, and they should know better than him what they're looking for in a player. So it's all par for the course.

FWIW, I like hearing Kiper's breakdown of players because his information is pretty close to what all the scouts have. Goose too. In the end though, it's still a crapshoot! :p:

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
CowboyMike;1449013 said:
But you have to give the man credit, he STILL has that great hair after all these years..... :)

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1449181 said:
Actually im pretty sure that the guy from PFW had whitner going to the bills.
I think Chris Berman's taxi-driver also had Whitner going to the Bills..... :D