Mel Kiper's new mock draft

BigWillie

Reaction score
I've never once heard of attitude and work ethic being a question with Travis.

Also, ghetto, I don't know where you have gotten that thinking from but 40 times come down considerably and get better once in a REAL weight training program. The training that most players get in HS doesn't fully develop their body and muscle reactions. Most of the time, the stuff they learn in HS are hurting them more than helping because they're doing it wrong. Once these players get into training with professionals, 40 times almost always decrease even with weight/muscle gain.

You have to just think about it, when your graduating at 17 or 18, is your body fully developed? Most guys don't reach their peaks in fitness until almost 10 years later in their football career (barring injuries).

Verdict

Reaction score
MARKONNI said:
i say we trade with the chargers our 11th for their 28th and 60th picks so we get two first rounders and two second rounders, so our draft would look like this:

first round
20th Antrell Rolle CB
28th Antajj Hawthorne DT

second round
43rd David Baas G
60th Reggie Brown WR

anything to say about it ?
According to the NFL Value Chart stickied at the top of the draft forum the points values are as follows:

Pick 11 = 1250 points

Pick 28= 700 points + Pick 60 = 310 points.

We give up 240 points. (To get even value they would have to add pick 71 as well.-which the chargers dont have) They could add a second next year to even it up.

I would love to trade down, but only say 5 to 7 spots unless we get a real windfall.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Verdict said:
According to the NFL Value Chart stickied at the top of the draft forum the points values are as follows:

Pick 11 = 1250 points

Pick 28= 700 points + Pick 60 = 310 points.

We give up 240 points. (To get even value they would have to add pick 71 as well.-which the chargers dont have) They could add a second next year to even it up.

I would love to trade down, but only say 5 to 7 spots unless we get a real windfall.
Sitting at #11...there is a very good chance one of:
Alex Smith
Aaron Rogers
Mike Williams
Braylon Edwards
Derrick Johnson

falling to us...if someone is willing to make a trade like last year don't think Jerrah won't jump all over it. If we passed on either Williams or Edwards I'd be pissed, but Jerrah likes to wheel and deal...

Woods

Reaction score
I think, realistically, if we stay put with our first two picks, we take

1. Spears - Ideal fit in the 3-4, can be used effectively in the 4-3 as well. Has the size that BP covets.

2. Troy Williamson - Why? I seriously doubt we ante up for Porter or P. Burress in FA, and we need a WR who can stretch the field.

Why not Clayton? Again, BP prefers size.

Remember how pissed off BP got after the NO game? He basically said that our WRs could not get any separation from NO's CBs - who are pretty average.

As for a LB/DE instead of Williamson in the 1st, I think BP believes he can find the "tweeners" later in the Draft. BP has always been good at getting the type of RBs and LBs that he wants. He knows what to look for.

Why not a CB in the 1st? Because of the rule changes, and this is a deep draft for CBs. We could even land a good one in the 2nd. Personally, I think we get a CB in FA, however.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Sorry, but Derrick Johnson underwhelms me. He was a big no show in the Rose Bowl. If a so-called Superman disappears in the big game, then what's he worth. I mean, you don't need Superman when you're eating a meal. You need him when you've fallen from a 25-story building.

If he doesn't show up then, why the need to be called Superman? :confused:

VThokie7

Reaction score
If we get Rolle at 20 I won't be able to contain my happiness, but if were going to a 3-4 I think we gotta take Merriman over Johnson.

ghst187

Reaction score
VThokie7 said:
If we get Rolle at 20 I won't be able to contain my happiness, but if were going to a 3-4 I think we gotta take Merriman over Johnson.

I agree wholeheartedly on both accounts. If MW is gone by #11 I think it'll be interesting to see whom we take between Merriman, DJ, and Spears. I'm leaning to think its Spears but I'd really prefer to grab Howard or Hayward in FA. If not Spears, then I think Merriman is a better fit because he is bigger and takes on blocks better. Even in a 4-3, hard to argue against Merriman. I don't think Merriman, DJ, or Spears will last til #20. Hawthorne at 20 would also be cool with me if we are idiotic and don't sign Pat Williams or Ferguson in FA. I think 20 is high for Hawthorne but I guarantee he doesn't last til the second.