Twitter: Melton has left the building; on way to STL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Can't believe St. Louis has stayed bad the last few years... We abused that d-line that's so dominant on paper... Laurenitas and Ogletree behind it. Elite receiver and a franchise QB is more important than posters here think I guess

You have to score points - this is true.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The offseason in the NFL is long, Beast. There's 0% chance we go into a season with our current lineup. We just have to wait and see how bad it really might be.

I hope you are right my friend, even Jerry has to realize this would be the worst DL in the entire NFL.

Aven8

Reaction score
Can't believe St. Louis has stayed bad the last few years... We abused that d-line that's so dominant on paper... Laurenitas and Ogletree behind it. Elite receiver and a franchise QB is more important than posters here think I guess

And that's why they are that bad, Bradford sucks.

But boy did I want Quinn for us back when he was drafted. The majority on this board thought he would be a bust, and now he might be the best DE in football. Oh well

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You guys are seriously reaching.

We are just evaluating what is currently on the roster.

When what we have on the roster changes, so will the evaluation. Like Mickey Spags said, when 52% of your sacks walk out the door, you are worse, not better for it.

Current evaluation of DL............NFL Europa quality.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So both guys left without deals?

So we are going with Crawford/Bass/Hayden/Selvie?

This is like an NFL Europa DL, we seriously are going to get laughed at by opposing offenses........LMAO

It's doubtful that at least one, possibly all of those players, will be starting when the season rolls around. I'd guess that at least a midtier lineman will be acquired in FA if neither Melton or Allen sign, then Dallas is going to draft a DL in the first round without a doubt and possibly the second round, too, possibly moving up for one if necessary.

Trouble is, we need more than just one bona fide pass rusher in this defense. If the first-round pick is the only one who can get consistent pressure we'll be in trouble. (Not counting on a second-rounder being bona fide.)

If we don't get Melton or Allen, then we'll have to hope that Marinelli can turn the midtier FA and Bass or Crawford into consistent threats. (I don't think he can make Selvie any better than he was last year ... which was very good for a rotation guy, but not consistent enough with pressure for a starter.)

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It's doubtful that at least one, possibly all of those players, will be starting when the season rolls around. I'd guess that at least a midtier lineman will be acquired in FA if neither Melton or Allen sign, then Dallas is going to draft a DL in the first round without a doubt and possibly the second round, too, possibly moving up for one if necessary.

Trouble is, we need more than just one bona fide pass rusher in this defense. If the first-round pick is the only one who can get consistent pressure we'll be in trouble. (Not counting on a second-rounder being bona fide.)

If we don't get Melton or Allen, then we'll have to hope that Marinelli can turn the midtier FA and Bass or Crawford into consistent threats. (I don't think he can make Selvie any better than he was last year ... which was very good for a rotation guy, but not consistent enough with pressure for a starter.)

I am going to pretend that either Melton or Allen will eventually sign. There is no way we can rebuild this DL strictly through the draft this year and signing some more "rotation" guys is not going to get it done either.

rags747

Reaction score
Didn't Melton have the same surgery as Spencer? Would love to have him but no way I overpay for the dude, he won't be 100% until the following year just like Spencer. At this point rather have Donald and Allen...if we can get either one of them.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Didn't Melton have the same surgery as Spencer? Would love to have him but no way I overpay for the dude, he won't be 100% until the following year just like Spencer. At this point rather have Donald and Allen...if we can get either one of them.

No, Spencer had microfracture knee surgery, Melton "simply" had a torn ACL fixed. Spencer's surgery is far more career threatening (it finished Terry Glenn's).

rags747

Reaction score
No, Spencer had microfracture knee surgery, Melton "simply" had a torn ACL fixed. Spencer's surgery is far more career threatening (it finished Terry Glenn's).

That is what I thought initially as well, could have sworn that I read in the past day or so that Melton had micro fracture surgery as well, now where I read that I have no idea and they could have been totally wrong as well.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Just looking for the team that will pay the most. Why we should walk away.

Absolutely correct. ACL issue and some off the field issues. You draft three DL in this draft with a potential for 11 picks, you stock up. You do the same next year and if you hit on half you'll be okay, if you get lucky and all three are good players you are ahead of the ballgame.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
LL

Lol...

I think his agent is just playing hardball with us. Not over yet.

Hardline

Reaction score

This is why I used the term "most likely"
I didn't lose a shred of credibility over this considering that "most" of the time when a player walks out of negotiations without a signed contract,it "usually" doesn't get signed.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I am going to pretend that either Melton or Allen will eventually sign. There is no way we can rebuild this DL strictly through the draft this year and signing some more "rotation" guys is not going to get it done either.

I do think having Melton come on board makes it easier to rebuild the line (obviously). If Dallas can get a right end to pair with him (in the first round of the draft), that would make both players more effective.

I still think we need one more bona fide player on the left side to balance the line and make this 4-3 work. That's one reason I am in favor of Allen as a stopgap. If Dallas doesn't get him, too, it definitely needs to take a shot at upgrading either Hayden or Selvie/Crawford's spot with another FA. It's just a dream to think we're going to get lucky and hit on a second-round pick to be that other bona fide. We could get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it.

Fredd

Reaction score
so, I guess he just wanted check out the arch before the season started?

Status
Not open for further replies.